What Will The Orioles Do With Wade Miley?

PressBoxOnline

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

So what talent has he wasted?

Two firsts, Bridwell, Ed Rod, Hader, Miranda, Strop, Arrietta. Bridwell, again tonight, better than anything we've had. He can pitch. Miranda can pitch. We get guys who we can't count on to put the ball over the plate. All of those are atrocious moves and many would argue that letting Cruz go was a terrible decision, but I'm not upset with that one, someone got an underslot gem in Mountcastle because of it...it's a shame we couldn't see what else we may have with those two first. Giving away a first should have been done for Fowler, but his SP acquisitions have been humiliating. 

Bridwell, Rodriguez, Miranda, & Arrietta would be superior to the rotation we've got. Davies, you and Hader could give us as much as Tillman, Ubaldo and Miley and leads us money to spend on someone who isn't awful, as well as our draft picks. I didn't say he's given away a ton of great talent, you made something up then argued against it, I'm simply displeased with with what he's done. 

Bundy, Rodriguez, Gausman, Bridwell, Jake/Miranda would be better than this, cheaper, and cost nothing in picks. To give up cost controlled arms for what we've gotten is a failure...its actually many failures. Duq gives away picks, international assets, and minor leaguers...its as if he's just lazy and doesn't want to put the time in to work on guys every fan doesn't know.

There are zero teams that wish we would return their asset for what they took from Dan.

Baseball prospectus ranks Hader 19th in all of baseball, we don't have a pitcher in the top 1,000 because of Dans moves.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Two firsts, Bridwell, Ed Rod, Hader, Miranda, Strop, Arrietta. Bridwell, again tonight, better than anything we've had. He can pitch. Miranda can pitch. We get guys who we can't count on to put the ball over the plate. All of those are atrocious moves and many would argue that letting Cruz go was a terrible decision, but I'm not upset with that one, someone got an underslot gem in Mountcastle because of it...it's a shame we couldn't see what else we may have with those two first. Giving away a first should have been done for Fowler, but his SP acquisitions have been humiliating. 

Bridwell, Rodriguez, Miranda, & Arrietta would be superior to the rotation we've got. Davies, you and Hader could give us as much as Tillman, Ubaldo and Miley and leads us money to spend on someone who isn't awful, as well as our draft picks. I didn't say he's given away a ton of great talent, you made something up then argued against it, I'm simply displeased with with what he's done. 

Bundy, Rodriguez, Gausman, Bridwell, Jake/Miranda would be better than this, cheaper, and cost nothing in picks. To give up cost controlled arms for what we've gotten is a failure...its actually many failures. Duq gives away picks, international assets, and minor leaguers...its as if he's just lazy and doesn't want to put the time in to work on guys every fan doesn't know.

There are zero teams that wish we would return their asset for what they took from Dan.

Baseball prospectus ranks Hader 19th in all of baseball, we don't have a pitcher in the top 1,000 because of Dans moves.

First off you said incorrect when I said DD hasn't flushed away a bunch of talent. You responded directly to what I said. 

Miller for Erod, I would do that all day. You can't serious about Bridwell. Arrieta was an organizational issue, it is not fair to pin that all on Dan. Strop was struggling and was out of options. I like Hader but he did get Norris for 2.5 years. Norris wasn't anything great I will grant you. I don't think Miranda is any good, you and I could outpitch half this rotation right now. 

The money we spent on Ubaldo and others would not have been saved or pooled to go after a better and more expensive starter, not happening.  

He inherited a team position player wise ready to win. Some people hate giving up picks, I don't mind it is as much as others but obviously who he got back were busts and that is on him.

I have no issue with Dan being criticized, around 2 years ago I started a thread ripping him over the 2015 team. That said I think some of the criticism isn't fair. The owner has negatively impacted that team with no interest in spending internationally. The trades the Red Sox made for Sale and Kimbrel had a ton of players they signed internationally. Here Dan is, he can't go after the big arms like Tanaka and Price and his prospect pool is smaller than everyone in the sport. He has made moves when the team was winning and lately they haven't worked and that is on him. That is fair.

One thing that bugs me is that idea that we have to develop better. I am not saying we shouldn't strive to be better but this idea we should be able to develop our own in house rotation in this division is a tall order. It is pretty hard when you are winning to draft high end starters. How many have Boston and NYY drafted in the last 20 years? Outside of Lester I don't see one. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

First off you said incorrect when I said DD hasn't flushed away a bunch of talent. You responded directly to what I said. 

Miller for Erod, I would do that all day. You can't serious about Bridwell. Arrieta was an organizational issue, it is not fair to pin that all on Dan. Strop was struggling and was out of options. I like Hader but he did get Norris for 2.5 years. Norris wasn't anything great I will grant you. I don't think Miranda is any good, you and I could outpitch half this rotation right now. 

The money we spent on Ubaldo and others would not have been saved or pooled to go after a better and more expensive starter, not happening.  

He inherited a team position player wise ready to win. Some people hate giving up picks, I don't mind it is as much as others but obviously who he got back were busts and that is on him.

I have no issue with Dan being criticized, around 2 years ago I started a thread ripping him over the 2015 team. That said I think some of the criticism isn't fair. The owner has negatively impacted that team with no interest in spending internationally. The trades the Red Sox made for Sale and Kimbrel had a ton of players they signed internationally. Here Dan is, he can't go after the big arms like Tanaka and Price and his prospect pool is smaller than everyone in the sport. He has made moves when the team was winning and lately they haven't worked and that is on him. That is fair.

One thing that bugs me is that idea that we have to develop better. I am not saying we shouldn't strive to be better but this idea we should be able to develop our own in house rotation in this division is a tall order. It is pretty hard when you are winning to draft high end starters. How many have Boston and NYY drafted in the last 20 years? Outside of Lester I don't see one. 

This is my sentiment exactly. The most consistent team at producing high quality SP is Tampa, whereas everyone else has gotten their starters through trades. 

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Smart GMs don't sign Ubaldo Jimenez and an injured Gallardo...and give up 1st rounders for them. And give them multi-year deals. And give them 8 digit salaries.

This and all this.  Don't overpay for mediocre pitchers when you have a limited payroll.  Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox can write off their mistakes, the Orioles can't.

Either spend money on Scherzer or Greinke types, or pour money into developing pitching talent domestically and internationally.  Spending big money on Ubaldo, Gallaro and trading for pitchers like Miley, you might as well burn the cash. 

13 hours ago, Cumberbundy said:

The Miller and Norris acquisitions were good moves that helped the 2014 be as good as it was. That it didn't close the deal wasn't on DD. Parker Bridwell's FIP is 5.82 in his very limited time with the Angels. What he's doing right now is a smokescreen.

Do you advocate just never, ever trading minor league players? Because that's the only way to never, ever see one grow up and be decent for another team.

1 minute ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Does Miley have a $13 mil player option for next year? Shoot me if he does!

Not a player option.   Team option, at $12 mm.    A few weeks ago I thought we were likely to exercise it.    Now it seem plain we won't.   

Archived