Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

On 7/5/2017 at 9:14 PM, phillyOs119 said:

I think he should be in Frederick, unless the O's are planning on changing his mechanics or something to try and get more velocity.  

If he's advanced as he's supposed to be, I don't see any reason they won't jump him to Frederick next year like they did with Sedlock and Akin.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he's advanced as he's supposed to be, I don't see any reason they won't jump him to Frederick next year like they did with Sedlock and Akin.

Yeah, I expect that.  After watching him, Sedlock, and Akin this year. Lowther looks the most polished of the 3. The secondaries are more consistent and he hits his spots more often. The way he commands his curveball would be impressive at any level.  The problem for Lowther is that while his fastball has movement, he's not going to be able to get away with leaving it anywhere near the center of the plate.  He's going to have to be the guy who pitches backwards to get ahead in the count.

From Baseball America this morning...

Zac Lowther, lhp, Orioles. A supplemental second-round pick from Xavier, Lowther isn't overpowering (87-92 mph) but pounds the zone while deception helps his offerings play up. He's off to a terrific start at short-season Aberdeen, including Tuesday, when he delivered five, two-hit innings against Lowell (Red Sox). Lowther is 1-0, 0.63 with 19 strikeouts and just two walks in 14.1 innings.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think he could get promoted, but I'm not sure they'd jump him to Frederick.    

I believe Garrett Olson was the last first year pitcher to go from Aberdeen to Frederick in the first season. The Orioles haven't been in a hurry to move guys out of Aberdeen during that first year in a long time. Saying that, I could see them putting him on the Akin plan and jumping him to Frederick next year. 

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I believe Garrett Olson was the last first year pitcher to go from Aberdeen to Frederick in the first season. The Orioles haven't been in a hurry to move guys out of Aberdeen during that first year in a long time. Saying that, I could see them putting him on the Akin plan and jumping him to Frederick next year. 

I don't know what Lowther's innings load was this season in college, but they've already let him throw five innings a couple of times in Aberdeen, while Sedlock and Akin were limited to 3 inning stints last year.    That tells me the O's might be a little more open to moving Lowther to a full season affiliate.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't know what Lowther's innings load was this season in college, but they've already let him throw five innings a couple of times in Aberdeen, while Sedlock and Akin were limited to 3 inning stints last year.    That tells me the O's might be a little more open to moving Lowther to a full season affiliate.

Considering all of their seasons end in slightly more than a month, he would have to move pretty soon to get more than 2 starts in a full season affiliate.

41 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Considering all of their seasons end in slightly more than a month, he would have to move pretty soon to get more than 2 starts in a full season affiliate.

Right now the affiliates have 40 or so games remaining, so enough time for 8 starts if they wanted to do that.    I went back to look at Olson -- he made three truncated starts for the Keys (14.1 IP) after his promotion from Aberdeen.  

• Upvote 1