Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

Lowther play by play:

AUB - BOTTOM OF 4TH
Paul Panaccione strikes out swinging. 
1 Out
Pedro Severino triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Markel Jones. 
Chance Shepard walks. 
Randy Encarnacion reaches on a force attempt, missed catch error by shortstop Irving Ortega, assist to second baseman Kirvin Moesquit. Pedro Severino scores. Chance Shepard to 3rd. 

ABD 3, AUB 1

Game Advisory
Coaching visit to mound. 

Pitching Substitution
Pitching Change: Jon Keller replaces Zac Lowther.

AUB - BOTTOM OF 3RD
Omar Meregildo flies out to center fielder Markel Jones. 
1 Out
Joshual Ramirez grounds out, second baseman Kirvin Moesquit to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
2 Out
Armond Upshaw called out on strikes. 
3 Out

AUB - BOTTOM OF 2ND
Randy Encarnacion grounds out, third baseman Trevor Craport to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
1 Out
Branden Boggetto flies out to right fielder Zach Jarrett. 
2 Out
Jonathan Pryor called out on strikes. 
3 Out

AUB - BOTTOM OF 1ST
Armond Upshaw strikes out swinging. 
1 Out
Paul Panaccione reaches on a throwing error by shortstop Irving Ortega. Paul Panaccione to 2nd. 
Pedro Severino flies out to left fielder T. J. Nichting. 
2 Out
Chance Shepard grounds out, shortstop Irving Ortega to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
3 Out

LOW - BOTTOM OF 1ST
Nicholos Hamilton strikes out swinging, catcher Jean Carrillo to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
1 Out
Frankie Rios grounds out, second baseman Irving Ortega to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
2 Out
Raiwinson Lameda grounds out, second baseman Irving Ortega to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
3 Out

LOW - BOTTOM OF 2ND
Juan Barriento pops out to first baseman Ryan Ripken in foul territory. 
1 Out
Garrett Benge grounds out, shortstop Mason McCoy to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
2 Out
Marino Campana flies out to center fielder Markel Jones. 
3 Out

LOW - BOTTOM OF 3RD
Michael Osinski called out on strikes. 
1 Out
Samuel Miranda singles on a line drive to center fielder Markel Jones. 
Yomar Valentin singles on a ground ball to left fielder T. J. Nichting. Samuel Miranda to 2nd. 
Nicholos Hamilton grounds into a force out, shortstop Mason McCoy to second baseman Irving Ortega. Samuel Miranda to 3rd. Yomar Valentin out at 2nd. Nicholos Hamilton to 1st. 
2 Out
Frankie Rios grounds out, shortstop Mason McCoy to first baseman Ryan Ripken. 
3 Out

LOW - BOTTOM OF 4TH
Raiwinson Lameda grounds out, first baseman Ryan Ripken to pitcher Zac Lowther. 
1 Out
Juan Barriento walks. 
Garrett Benge called out on strikes. 
2 Out

Wild Pitch
With Marino Campana batting, wild pitch by Zac Lowther, Juan Barriento to 2nd. 
Marino Campana strikes out swinging. 
3 Out

LOW - BOTTOM OF 5TH
Michael Osinski lines out to left fielder T. J. Nichting. 
1 Out
Samuel Miranda strikes out swinging. 
2 Out
Yomar Valentin lines out to second baseman Irving Ortega. 
3 Out

So what is Lowther? We got really, really excited for Akin last year when he dominated Aberdeen, but Lowther hype seems stunted due to the performances we've gotten from Myers and Hanifee. 

Is Lowther just an advanced college arm mowing down kids? Is he a potential mid to backend rotation piece? Is he Tyler Wilson? Is he worth getting the least bit excited about?

16 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

So what is Lowther? We got really, really excited for Akin last year when he dominated Aberdeen, but Lowther hype seems stunted due to the performances we've gotten from Myers and Hanifee. 

Is Lowther just an advanced college arm mowing down kids? Is he a potential mid to backend rotation piece? Is he Tyler Wilson? Is he worth getting the least bit excited about?

It's encouraging regardless.  Sedlock was a college arm and was just okay in Aberdeen. Dietz was a college arm too and struggled in Aberdeen. 

I read that his fastball is only maxing out in the high 80's.  That to me is less encouraging but I'll take the end results. Myers and Hanifee are younger and seem to have the better stuff.  

21 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

He's an advanced college pitcher with good secondaries. His fastball is fringey, which is why he lasted til the third round despite being one of the best strikeout pitchers in the college game. 

I said when he was drafted that the low minors would provide no challenge for him.

At higher levels, he won't have a ton of room for error.

Basically, the reason to not be as excited is because Akin throws much harder and therefore profiles as a MLB pitcher much more easily. He's a better prospect than Wilson though. His curveball is major league quality already IMO.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

He's an advanced college pitcher with good secondaries. His fastball is fringey, which is why he lasted til the third round despite being one of the best strikeout pitchers in the college game. 

I said when he was drafted that the low minors would provide no challenge for him.

At higher levels, he won't have a ton of room for error.

Basically, the reason to not be as excited is because Akin throws much harder and therefore profiles as a MLB pitcher much more easily. He's a better prospect than Wilson though. His curveball is major league quality already IMO.

Thanks for this. I'm guessing him being a lefty, though, also helps him. Get the whole "crafty" factor. 

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

Not to sound redundant, but Lowther continues his dominance in Aberdeen. 5IP, 2H, 0R, 1BB, 5K.  

I'd like to see him pitch for Delmarva this year (probably the fourth time I've said that).

I think there's a reasonable chance you'll get your wish, now that he's throwing 5 innings.