Zac Lowther

glenn__davis

12 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Dude has 31 K and 2 BB. Too soon to move him up?

I don't think so. He's doing exactly what they want and that is forcing your way to the next level. I'd promote him to Frederick now. If he dominates there I'd move him to Bowie in the second half.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Sedlock just went on DL. Besides, almost none of the Frederick starters outside of Wells are legitimate starting pitcher prospects.

Yeah, it’s an underwhelming group.   I would not have any problem with the O’s promoting Lowther now, I’m just skeptical that the O’s will do it.    

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Holding out hope for Peralta.  I saw something this spring where it looked like he had improved his mechanics.  Nice start yesterday with only one walk in 6 IP.      I agree that Lowther should be in Frederick.   I thought he probably should have started there.

The mechanics are much improved. He’s still got a long ways to go to throw enough strikes to even be a BP guy, much less a starter, but I can see the path forward now.

Last year, I watched him a few times and it wasn’t just that he had no control, he had a delivery that screamed “he’s never going to throw strikes”. He was a low 3/4 long arm action slinger, who didn’t know where any part of his body was headed.

This year, he’s moving down the mound better, has a higher, more consistent release (still needs work) and he’s getting better extension. He still needs to finish pitches better and get more repeatable, but it’s a workable delivery.

The higher release and added extension helps his FB become a real swing and miss weapon in the upper 90s. He doesn’t have a consistent second pitch yet though, so like I said, still much work to do.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Can we send him to work with whoever worked with Charlie Morton?

I think Morton’s thing wasn’t really a big mechanical change.

He was a low effort guy, and he just sped everything up and aired it out like he was a reliever and was still able to hold his new higher velocity. 

It’s not something that would work on everyone, some would get hurt, some would not be able to hold velocity, and some would have trouble maintaining command. He falls off a lot more now which would throw some guys off. He basically went against traditional starting pitcher wisdom and it worked for him. It’s proof high effort works for some and isn’t a deal breaker for SP.

• Upvote 2

On 4/23/2018 at 4:17 PM, Luke-OH said:

I think Morton’s thing wasn’t really a big mechanical change.

He was a low effort guy, and he just sped everything up and aired it out like he was a reliever and was still able to hold his new higher velocity. 

It’s not something that would work on everyone, some would get hurt, some would not be able to hold velocity, and some would have trouble maintaining command. He falls off a lot more now which would throw some guys off. He basically went against traditional starting pitcher wisdom and it worked for him. It’s proof high effort works for some and isn’t a deal breaker for SP.

If Mike Clevinger can stick as a starter, then we can throw out everything we've ever thought about high effort deliveries not working as starters. 

Makes me wonder if the Orioles should try to stretch out Araujo.

• Upvote 1