MANCINI TRADE (Sideline Speculative Possibilities)

pocketRIPKENS

Make a case for trading Trey Mancini. What would he fetch? Is it completely moronic to trade him considering we have him locked up for 6 or so years? In my opinion, he isn't a perennial major league hitter, has very little versatility and is a defensive liability. His walk to K rate is bad and very feast or famine in my eyes. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, pocketRIPKENS said:

Make a case for trading Trey Mancini. What would he fetch? Is it completely moronic to trade him considering we have him locked up for 6 or so years? In my opinion, he isn't a perennial major league hitter, has very little versatility and is a defensive liability. His walk to K rate is bad and very feast or famine in my eyes. 

Probably the best case for trading Mancini is if you want to alienate your fans, and overspend on more expensive talent for no reason when you have a near .900 OPS rookie on your roster making peanuts for salary.

It's not a particularly strong case imo.   Obviously if you can get someone else who's cheap and amazing..........but good luck with that.

11 minutes ago, pocketRIPKENS said:

On what do you base this opinion?

Am I the only one who choked on his coffee reading this thread title?

Given the Orioles desperate need for starting pitching along with not one but two overpriced 1B, I can see Mancini being traded.  I certainly hope the Orioles don't.

It makes a lot more sense to trade Britton for a starter than to trade Mancini.   Boras probably takes Britton to free agency after the 2018 season.   Between July 5th and July 31st he can show he is healthy.  His value in two pennant races would be high.

The O's have Mancini for 5 more year and he will be cheap for the next several years.   I can't see the O's trading Mancini.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How do you know?

I would trade him for a quality young pitcher, but there really isn't a need to force anything. 

Doing nothing could quickly become a regret if he becomes a mediocre player, which given his minor league track record and walk to k rate is a possibility.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It makes a lot more sense to trade Britton for a starter than to trade Mancini.   Boras probably takes Britton to free agency after the 2018 season.   Between July 5th and July 31st he can show he is healthy.  His value in two pennant races would be high.

The O's have Mancini for 5 more year and he will be cheap for the next several years.   I can't see the O's trading Mancini.

You trade Britton because it makes sense if he is healthy. That's the end of that story. One player has nothing to do with the other.

OF is our only position of prospect depth in the minors right now, so with 1B blocked for a while, I'd be willing to reluctantly consider a Mancini trade for a quality young SP or SS.  But, you better make sure you get the evaluation right, because if Mancini goes elsewhere and flourishes and whoever you get back doesn't, that's a trade that can get you fired.

18 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

You trade Britton because it makes sense if he is healthy. That's the end of that story. One player has nothing to do with the other.

They have a lot to do with each other.  If the O's trade Britton they probably don't need to trade Mancini.

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

OF is our only position of prospect depth in the minors right now, so with 1B blocked for a while, I'd be willing to reluctantly consider a Mancini trade for a quality young SP or SS.  But, you better make sure you get the evaluation right, because if Mancini goes elsewhere and flourishes and whoever you get back doesn't, that's a trade that can get you fired.

Who gives up a quality young SP for Mancini?

Archived