Manny

brooksfrankjim

35 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

He handled being thrown at perfectly. Let's get him on dr Phil.

This should fe simple, have a number you're willing to pay and trade him if it's not good enough. I think he will be one of the top 10 players in baseball for 8 years, but if he's unwilling to accept an offer now, get the best offer out there and build on.

He did earlier in the year.

He has not handled the slump or the Orioles slide very well at all.

I think that the best time to trade him will be this offseason, that way you can try to             negotiate the extension.

He may be one of the best players in baseball, but I rather use him to acquire players to rebuild than to rebuild around him. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That's what I say.     That said, every time Manny puts together a little hot streak this year, he goes cold again.     I keep waiting for a sustained hot streak.

The odds are that it will happen.

I doubt that he has ever had to endure a prolonged slump like this.

Maybe the ASB will clear his head a bit.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

What will Manny's forecasted arbitration number be for next season, if he continues on the pace he is on this year?

That's a fun question. I would think 13 million, maybe 13.5. 

p.s. If 2017 was a top 5 MVP year, then I would have guessed 15 million. 

18 minutes ago, Superbee83 said:

The odds are that it will happen.

I doubt that he has ever had to endure a prolonged slump like this.

Maybe the ASB will clear his head a bit.

But we don't really know if it's primarily "mental". He could have a nagging injury that is a big part of the problem. I guess time will tell...the O's (Buck or DD) usually let the media/public know about lingering injuries after the season. 

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm with you but I wonder too where his value sits.

Great question.  I am wondering that myself given the season he has had thus far. People have to remember this slump, or whatever you want to call it, extends to the last two or three months of last season.

My mind tells me they aren't going to be offering him up but we will know for sure in the next few weeks.

6 minutes ago, mall-O-cup said:

Great question.  I am wondering that myself given the season he has had thus far. People have to remember this slump, or whatever you want to call it, extends to the last two or three months of last season.

My mind tells me they aren't going to be offering him up but we will know for sure in the next few weeks.

That's not really correct (although people keep posting this). Manny's OPS was .936 in August. He was cold in July and September, but actually hit very well in August. It's not like the lights went out during the 2016 All Star break. 

p.s. And even this year's "slump" includes two months of 122 and 115 OPS+. Manny was terrible in May, but was a significantly above average hitter two other months. He needs a 160+ month like he's done multiple times in the past to make everyone feel better. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

That's not really correct (although people keep posting this). Manny's OPS was .936 in August. He was cold in July and September, but actually hit very well in August. It's not like the lights went out during the 2016 All Star break. 

It has been awhile since I checked his numbers from last year but if I remember correctly his overall body of work the last three months was nothing to write home about.

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

What will Manny's forecasted arbitration number be for next season, if he continues on the pace he is on this year?

45 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

That's a fun question. I would think 13 million, maybe 13.5. 

p.s. If 2017 was a top 5 MVP year, then I would have guessed 15 million. 

Chris Davis got a $1.7 mm bump in his final arb year, despite a very poor 2014 season (.704 OPS, 1.8 rWAR).     I think that's in the ballpark of what Manny would get if his numbers stayed where they are now.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

There's still a ~.070 separation between his batting average and on base percentage.  

I don't want to come off as a Manny apologist but guys have bad years.  It happens.  

Not this bad. Not for guys that are supposed to be as good as Manny Machado. Dude is hitting 215 in July. A bad year for a great player is not just above the Mendoza Line. 

7 hours ago, mall-O-cup said:

It has been awhile since I checked his numbers from last year but if I remember correctly his overall body of work the last three months was nothing to write home about.

You quoted my post with his August OPS. ???

Manny's .705 OPS is last among the twelve AL third baseman with a qualifying number of appearances. (Of the three AL teams without qualifiers, he's behind Josh Donaldson but ahead of whoever the RS and A's are throwing out there.)

Could be a very ugly arbitration if this were to continue. 

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Manny's .705 OPS is last among the twelve AL third baseman with a qualifying number of appearances. (Of the three AL teams without qualifiers, he's behind Josh Donaldson but ahead of whoever the RS and A's are throwing out there.)

Could be a very ugly arbitration if this were to continue. 

Unless either he isn't our problem or we give him an extension. 

Archived