Manny

brooksfrankjim

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think maybe 5% of players do this.   Mancini is one.   

Going to a few games, I would say Mancini,Trumbo,Davis and Hardy run to first hard. Jones used to run real hard but he is hurting.The Blue Jay game I was at was really bad, Bautista,Martin,Donaldson and Tulo barely ran halfway up the line.. Younger players usually run hard to first at least for their first full year. Yankees ran hard. White Sox also. Brewers seemed to be running hard and the Twins also. I would say about 40% of players run hard to first. David Ortiz was probably the least amount of effort running to first.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, esmd said:

Because maybe the SS makes a throw in the dirt that the 1B bobbles, and if you HUSTLE, you get called safe. If you're loafing, the 1B has time to pick up the ball and you're out.And if you're safe, maybe the next guy goes deep or doubles in the corner and you score.

Seriously, it boggles my mind that anyone could even post something like this. You hustle on every play. Every. Damn. Play. That's what winners do.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think maybe 5% of players do this. Mancini is one.   

o

And Nolan Reimold, before he retired.

I remember when I used to watch the Bluefield Orioles when they were part of our organization back in 2007, 2008, and 2009, and I would see every batter on both teams sprint to 1st base on each and every ground ball ........ but that was the Rookie Leagues, 6 levels below the Major Leagues.

o

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per fangraphs, Manny is having his best defensive season since 2013, when he won the Platinum Glove.

Does that pass your eye test?

Because I'm not buying it.  He has made a lot of wild throws and now that Davis isn't there to clean it up it stands out.  Then again those throws aren't made by nearly sny other 3B because they don't get the balls Machado field ls.  So there is that.  But it does seem off.

5 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

After hitting two homers in the game.  I saw the replay, he wasn't jogging, he was running and had his eyes up looking at the ball.

As I said, fickle.  Two homers don't matter, it was the one that was a long single that people are chirping out.

20 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Someone explain to me why sprinting out of the box on a routine grounder to shortstop is such a meaningful thing.  It's something that fans have held over ballplayers heads for years, like it's some deep, respect the game type thing that will magically elevate a player to a mythical status....even though he's still just made an out.

I'm sorry, but most of this thread is complete crap.  Guy is having issues at the plate and all of a sudden the issues that weren't a problem when he was having an MVP caliber season are all of a sudden yuuuuuge issues.  

Manny sprinting out of the box is far, far, far down on a list of things that plagues this team.  

Lots have been frustrated by his lack of hustle.  I don't have an issue not busting it on an absolute routine grounder, but sometimes he doesn't trust it on plays that could be close where a bobble will matter.  

More troubling is when he makes throwing errors because he is nonchalant and doesn't set his feet. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

After hitting two homers in the game.  I saw the replay, he wasn't jogging, he was running and had his eyes up looking at the ball.

As I said, fickle.  Two homers don't matter, it was the one that was a long single that people are chirping out.

Why was he complacent after two homers and thinking it was ok to settle for a single the third time?

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Your opinion is far more damming of Manny. Your saying when he hits the ball 390 feet off the OF wall he no longer has the speed to get a double.

I thought he just didn't run hard (not jog) out of the batters box

23 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Your opinion is far more damming of Manny. Your saying when he hits the ball 390 feet off the OF wall he no longer has the speed to get a double.

I thought he just didn't run hard (not jog) out of the batters box

105mph off the bat to buxton, that's 154ft per second hit to the fastest of in the game. If he makes an out there, he's crucified. 

Archived