When do Buck and Dan finally say enough is enough?

Diehard_O's_Fan

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

If you're ever actively rooting against your own team, something is broken in you as a fan.

Disinterest during a rough patch, fine. Openly rooting for them to lose? Nah. 

It makes sense in the NFL and NBA for better draft position.   For baseball it doesn't matter.  Draft picks are like 4-5 years away.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, interloper said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for them to win every game from here on out, obvioiusly. while losing prospects and acquiring bad players in the process. I'd rather they lose, avoid buying at the deadline, and get a good draft pick to boot. Try again next year. 

I love it when people speak with certainty about baseball. xD

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

If you're ever actively rooting against your own team, something is broken in you as a fan.

Disinterest during a rough patch, fine. Openly rooting for them to lose? Nah. 

I disagree.  As a fan I want what is best for my team and sometimes that is losing.  If that means I don't watch the game a see they lost later and say "good."  That fine with me and that's a fringe case.

Take draft position though.  Are you telling me you get to the end of the season and a loss means you get the first pick and you are not rooting for that outcome?  What if I told you that pick is projected to be a Trout level player?

29 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

You mean the guy who has a 1.41 WHIP and strikes out 5 per 9?

And a 3.24 ERA.  Even if he winds up with an ERA of 4.5, he's still a much better major league pitcher than anyone would have guessed based on his time with the Orioles' organization.  

24 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I disagree.  As a fan I want what is best for my team and sometimes that is losing.  If that means I don't watch the game a see they lost later and say "good."  That fine with me and that's a fringe case.

Take draft position though.  Are you telling me you get to the end of the season and a loss means you get the first pick and you are not rooting for that outcome?  What if I told you that pick is projected to be a Trout level player?

I have a question. What do we mean by "rooting " for the team to lose. There is a difference between waking up that day and thinking " ehhh I hope we lose " and actually screaming " YES!!!! GO GO GO!!! " as Brett Gardner turns the corner, heading into 3rd for a walk off triple. I know I could NEVER do that with any of my sports teams. Regardless of what it may mean in the future.

31 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Mike Trout was drafted with the 25th pick.   If you picked first, you would have missed him by 24 picks. 

22 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

And a 3.24 ERA.  Even if he winds up with an ERA of 4.5, he's still a much better major league pitcher than anyone would have guessed based on his time with the Orioles' organization.  

His FIP is currently 5.82. Let's see where he finishes the season. I don't think it'll be with numbers anyone will be writing home about. He is not a prospect.

40 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Even Mike Trout wasn't projected to be a Mike Trout level player. He was taken No. 25.

And your example is far too specific. If you get to the last game and it makes a difference, so be it. But rooting for them to just collapse by early July isn't being a fan, in my book.

Further, if you're tuned out and honestly hoping to check on them and find them failing, you're not helping the team on two levels.

48 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

His FIP is currently 5.82. Let's see where he finishes the season. I don't think it'll be with numbers anyone will be writing home about. He is not a prospect.

He might not be a prospect but he had good stuff and potential. I'd argue he's better then anyone riding the norfolk shuttle other than maybe aquino and the Orioles traded him for nothing. It's a problem of talent evaluation and development.

The starters that "got away" in some way, shape or form during the Duquette administration (I'm sure there are others...this is just major league time logged)

• Eduardo Rodriguez: 4.10 ERA, 108 ERA+, 1.264 WHIP, 4.14 FIP, 8.2 SO/9, 3.0 BB/9 - 290 IP
  • Zach Davies: 4.27 ERA, 100 ERA+, 1.323 WHIP, 4.23 FIP, 6.8 SO/9, 2.6 BB/9 - 288 IP
  • Miguel Gonzalez: 4.25 ERA, 97 ERA+, 1.334 WHIP, 4.25 FIP, 5.9 SO/9, 2.6 BB/9 - 213 IP
  • Ariel Miranda: 4.06 ERA, 104 ERA+, 1.142 WHIP, 5.24 FIP, 6.9 SO/9, 3.1 BB/9 - 162 IP
  • Jake Arrieta: 2.76 ERA, 142 ERA+, 1.026 WHIP, 3.05 FIP, 9.0 SO/9, 2.7 BB/9 - 730 IP
  • Parker Bridwell: 3.24 ERA, 131 ERA+, 1.410 WHIP, 5.82 FIP, 5.1 SO/9, 2.7 BB/9 - 33 IP
  • Andrew Triggs: 4.29 ERA, 96 ERA+, 1.282 WHIP, 3.88 FIP, 7.8 SO/9, 2.4 BB/9 - 121 IP

7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

He might not be a prospect but he had good stuff and potential. I'd argue he's better then anyone riding the norfolk shuttle other than maybe aquino and the Orioles traded him for nothing. It's a problem of talent evaluation and development.

You're basing this off of a small handful of largely unremarkable MLB appearances. You can't possibly be willing to call him better than anyone on the Norfolk Shuttle for certain at this point.

I guess I just don't understand how this organization is run. Like a poster above wrote, we've made some really bad pitching decisions/evaluations. We have very few young, potential MLB players in our minors yet we seem to give away some  decent players quite often at the trade deadline. I'm not a DD fan at all. I get so tired of reading the headlines that say "Orioles acquire another no-talent player to fill a minor league roster spot". How often have you seen a DD transaction and think "who the hell is that bum??". He's great at picking up fringe players.

Sorry but this team need a complete overhaul. And why do we give away all of our international signing slots? It makes no sense.

Signed,

A frustrated lifelong O's fan

43 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The starters that "got away" in some way, shape or form during the Duquette administration (I'm sure there are others...this is just major league time logged)

• Eduardo Rodriguez: 4.10 ERA, 108 ERA+, 1.264 WHIP, 4.14 FIP, 8.2 SO/9, 3.0 BB/9 - 290 IP
  • Zach Davies: 4.27 ERA, 100 ERA+, 1.323 WHIP, 4.23 FIP, 6.8 SO/9, 2.6 BB/9 - 288 IP
  • Miguel Gonzalez: 4.25 ERA, 97 ERA+, 1.334 WHIP, 4.25 FIP, 5.9 SO/9, 2.6 BB/9 - 213 IP
  • Ariel Miranda: 4.06 ERA, 104 ERA+, 1.142 WHIP, 5.24 FIP, 6.9 SO/9, 3.1 BB/9 - 162 IP
  • Jake Arrieta: 2.76 ERA, 142 ERA+, 1.026 WHIP, 3.05 FIP, 9.0 SO/9, 2.7 BB/9 - 730 IP
  • Parker Bridwell: 3.24 ERA, 131 ERA+, 1.410 WHIP, 5.82 FIP, 5.1 SO/9, 2.7 BB/9 - 33 IP
  • Andrew Triggs: 4.29 ERA, 96 ERA+, 1.282 WHIP, 3.88 FIP, 7.8 SO/9, 2.4 BB/9 - 121 IP

Scott Feldman

Jason Hammel

Steven Brault

Wei Yin Chen

Jeremy Guthrie

Bud Norris

Archived