Duquette Undecided about the Deadline

Lucky_13

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Why does helping the rotation this season help the Orioles organization? One starter does not a playoff team make. 

I haven't ruled them out. SP is their biggest need. Cobb would give it a big boost. All this sell/rebuild is a fools errand. PA is win now and so what would be a good trade in that context. Anything else is just fantasy baseball.

26 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I haven't ruled them out. SP is their biggest need. Cobb would give it a big boost. All this sell/rebuild is a fools errand. PA is win now and so what would be a good trade in that context. Anything else is just fantasy baseball.

Everything suggested here is fantasy baseball. There is no more value in a buy post than a sell post. 

26 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Why would Tampa sell?  They are in a wildcard slot.

If they ask for Sisco, Hays, and Akin, do you do it?

No matter how they are playing, the Rays have typically been sellers not buyers at the trade deadline. They always have players such as David Price they know they will lose to free agency and they want to get as much return as possible for their talent. Sometimes players returning from injuries create a surplus at a position. https://rayscoloredglasses.com/2017/05/23/tampa-bay-rays-possible-moves-trade-deadline/ I don't think you need togive up that much for a rental. Sisco plus someone IMO.

12 hours ago, El Gordo said:

No matter how they are playing, the Rays have typically been sellers not buyers at the trade deadline. They always have players such as David Price they know they will lose to free agency and they want to get as much return as possible for their talent. Sometimes players returning from injuries create a surplus at a position. https://rayscoloredglasses.com/2017/05/23/tampa-bay-rays-possible-moves-trade-deadline/ I don't think you need togive up that much for a rental. Sisco plus someone IMO.

I'm in the sellers camp but even if I were not, I would not trade our number 1 prospect for a rental.

23 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would think instead of paying $10M a year for mediocre pitchers like Gallardo, Miley, Ubaldo; Duquette could make a case for investing those funds into player development international and domestic.  

Has he made this argument to ownership?  If I had to guess, I'd say no.  

Why in the world would you make that guess? Do you think that Duquette and his staff don't know that the Orioles' approach to international talent differs from that of every other team? Or do you think Duquette believes that the Orioles' unique approach works better, despite every indication to the contrary? Do you think Duquette is not capable of putting together a coherent argument to move in the direction that every team is taking? Or do you think he's too cowardly to discuss this with ownership? 

The only rationale I can imagine for Duquette not arguing to the owner these potential benefits would be that someone above him in the hierarchy has told him, in no uncertain terms, not to mention it. There are three such persons, and oddly enough they all have the same surname.

23 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

The rays are contending. They would really have to fall off in the next few weeks to trade Cobb.

IF the Orioles decide to sell, then we want as many contenting teams as possible to keep demand up and supply down.

In that scenario, we absolutely do not want the Rays to shop Cobb.

18 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Why in the world would you make that guess? Do you think that Duquette and his staff don't know that the Orioles' approach to international talent differs from that of every other team? Or do you think Duquette believes that the Orioles' unique approach works better, despite every indication to the contrary? Do you think Duquette is not capable of putting together a coherent argument to move in the direction that every team is taking? Or do you think he's too cowardly to discuss this with ownership? 

The only rationale I can imagine for Duquette not arguing to the owner these potential benefits would be that someone above him in the hierarchy has told him, in no uncertain terms, not to mention it. There are three such persons, and oddly enough they all have the same surname.

Or, he's made his arguments in favor and has decided it's fallen on deaf ears.

Archived