TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you get a sense that we really will be? At least on the pen front with guys like Britton and Brach?

If we don't plan on getting Machado locked up (at this point, with where we are, it would probably be dumb too anyway), than I see no reason to not deal him for a major haul (although I think the Red Sox package is too light, think I'd push really hard for a Devers/Groome headline and see what happens) and get this rebuild going. The pitching is too far gone, we don't have the farm to realistically get anything that would get us back on track, etc.

IMO, Britton most definitely needs to be moved. His value with this much control is so much higher than it'd likely be next year. 

Tony - I agree with you 100% that they should be sellers, but...

1) There's zero change Angelos ever approves a significant trade with the Red Sox or Yankees. He'd sooner let Manny walk then trade him to either team. 

2) There's zero chance they'll be able to move Davis. He's Ryan Howard 2.0 and they're stuck with him and his gigantic contract. 

At a minimum I think they should be shopping their bullpen arms and Trumbo. They can revisit trading Manny in the offseason once they have a better sense of if he will/won't sign. 

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

1) There's zero change Angelos ever approves a significant trade with the Red Sox or Yankees. He'd sooner let Manny walk then trade him to either team. 

2) There's zero chance they'll be able to move Davis. He's Ryan Howard 2.0 and they're stuck with him and his gigantic contract. 

At a minimum I think they should be shopping their bullpen arms and Trumbo. They can revisit trading Manny in the offseason once they have a better sense of if he will/won't sign. 

We don't NEED to trade with the Red Sox or Yankees.   There are plenty of other teams in the hunt with talent in their systems. 

Just now, clapdiddy said:

We don't NEED to trade with the Red Sox or Yankees.   There are plenty of other teams in the hunt with talent in their systems. 

No, we don't need to trade wither either, but if we can get a package headlning Devers/Groome then it'd honestly be stupid to not think deep and hard about it as much as I'd hate to see him going in division.

Same goes for what the White Sox did. Sure, it wasn't in the division, but they dealt a good controllable starter to a crosstown rival. They also asked/needed way more than anyone else was offering and got it, which is the only way I'd think about moving a guy like Machado in division even though he may very well end up in there in FA if he isn't dealt to a team like LAD/HOU who have the resources to lock him up.

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Sorry, but Manny is not under contract after next year.  He can go where he wants at that point. Manny has an attitude that would fit the Yankees very well and he was a fan of a-rod growing up.  The yankees have the second best farm system and doing a deal with them, where Manny does a yankee contract before the trade makes the most sense.   if Manny walks after next year, he might wind up with the big bucks yankees anyway.

I agree it is time to restock the team.   Trade Manny, hopefully out west, with a good return or even to the evil empire.  Let him throw bats at infielders in yankee stadium- that goes over good there.

Trade one of the top two relievers, Brittan (if he shows good, or if not then Brach) or maybe both if there is a good return-  maybe a top 50 and a top 100 prospect for each.  (That would leave O'Day and Givens to work in Baltimore). 

Trade Trumbo for whatever he can bring- it might just be a top 150 player in AA.

We have Sisco in the minors-  Castillio is available for the rest of the year as well.  Seith Smith can go as well.   

The yield might be:

Manny:    two top 50 one top 100:   SS, 3R and pitcher

Brittan and Brock:  ?  3 top 75 pitchers

Trumpo, Castillio, Smith:     3 top 150 players.

There would be a future.

I'd still like to wait two weeks before deciding what the O's "unequivocally" must do.    What if those same pitchers who've been awful in their last six starts suddenly turn it around?   I am not saying that's likely, but I'd still like to give the team that chance before heading down the rebuild path, because once you've started , there's no going back.   

PS - if they go 2-5 the first week and the pitching stinks, no need to wait at that point.  

50 minutes ago, 1968_bills_fan said:

Sorry, but Manny is not under contract after next year.  He can go where he wants at that point. Manny has an attitude that would fit the Yankees very well and he was a fan of a-rod growing up.  The yankees have the second best farm system and doing a deal with them, where Manny does a yankee contract before the trade makes the most sense.   if Manny walks after next year, he might wind up with the big bucks yankees anyway.

I'm not sure what this has to do with my post...I said to revisit trading him in the offseason...the offseason is before his walk season. 

Also, Angelos will never trade Manny to the Yankees or Red Sox, regardless of what they offer. I never said they "shouldn't" explore trades with both teams, I just said it was a waste of time to come up with trade scenarios because it's never going to happen. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Amen to everything said in the OP.  The O's need to sell at least one of their top relievers, as well as Castillo and Seth Smith.   They should offer Machado 10 years and $300 million, and if he says no then he should be traded too.  

As for whether Angelos would trade with the Yankees or Red Sox--he did approve Eduardo Rodriguez for Andrew Miller, which was a pretty big trade (though not as big as a Manny Machado trade would be).  

Archived