TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

I don't agree that the Orioles should be sellers, but I also think they should not be buyers. They can keep the core of this team intact and address their needs in the offseason without a massive sell off.

This team, as constructed, can be a playoff team and we've seen it operate on all four cylinders earlier this year. There are issues that need to be addressed, namely with starting pitching.

I think you all will hate a fire sale worse than you hate what we have now. "Fire sale" is knee jerk response that will render poor outcomes. We will get pennies on the dollar for our assets at this juncture; all of our best assets are hurt or playing like garbage.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Not really any information there, just speculation by Herman.

This.

We are under .500 and struggling mightily with multiple guys free agents after next year and the worst rotation in the league. What the heck can Angelos possibly think we can do to win? I highly doubt he forces Duquette to buy with where we are right now and with our minors looking ok but not good enough to buy anyone that could drastically change anything.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I don't agree that the Orioles should be sellers, but I also think they should not be buyers. They can keep the core of this team intact and address their needs in the offseason without a massive sell off.

This team, as constructed, can be a playoff team and we've seen it operate on all four cylinders earlier this year. There are issues that need to be addressed, namely with starting pitching.

I think you all will hate a fire sale worse than you hate what we have now.

I disagree with you, at least in regards to myself.

As for this team still being a contender?  They are getting older, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, O'Day we can expect decline.  They will need three starters, a shortstop and maybe a catcher and I don't see many answers in the farm system.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

I think you all will hate a fire sale worse than you hate what we have now.

I'd much rather lose like we are with young players starting and a much improved farm system with help on the way than losing with a roster that as constructed isn't going anywhere with little hope for the future.

A rotation with Ubaldo and Miley isn't going anywhere good. Tillman and Gausman look brutally awful, and I'm not sure how Gausman can possibly get out of this rut this season. Bundy is also starting to have some real struggles.

Could we start to play better than we are? Sure, but this roster isn't getting us a WS or anything close to it. We don't have the farm to get a couple very good starters which is a must. Machado, Britton, etc. are FA's after next season. This season if we trade them we could get much more than when they are expiring after next season.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, if they wait for the Nationals and Dodgers to find other solutions to their bullpen needs it should really ramp up their return on a Britton trade.

Exactly right. While the Orioles are deciding whether or not they're contenders other teams will reap the rewards.

The Dodgers are interested in Britton? Do you think they'll still be interested two weeks from now when they and everyone else have met most of their needs? Even if they wait and get a deal done, how can you ever know it was the best deal out there by reducing your potential market?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree with you, at least in regards to myself.

As for this team still being a contender?  They are getting older, Jones, Davis, Trumbo, O'Day we can expect decline.  They will need three starters, a shortstop and maybe a catcher and I don't see many answers in the farm system.

Aquino, Lee, and Ynoa.

Mountcastle 

Sisco

:D

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Exactly right. While the Orioles are deciding whether or not they're contenders other teams will reap the rewards.

The Dodgers are interested in Britton? Do you think they'll still be interested two weeks from now when they and everyone else have met most of their needs? Even if they wait and get a deal done, how can you ever know it was the best deal out there by reducing your potential market?

Dodgers would be a good destination for Britton.  Jansen sounded positively giddy about the idea.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Oh, bull.   Chapman was traded on July 25 last year, Miller on July 31, Melancon on July 30.    The market will be there, especially for guys under contract beyond 2017.

Just now, Frobby said:

Oh, bull.   Chapman was traded on July 25 last year, Miller on July 31, Melancon on July 30.    The market will be there, especially for guys under contract beyond 2017.

No one said we couldn't move him later, but if LAD gets a very good RP here in next few days you think they offer up the same package or may even still have interest to deal a lot of assets for Britton? Who knows.

Could we deal Britton to TB, MIL, or some other team that may want RP's? Of course. May not be as ideal of a package though.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Quintana was traded on the 13th.

You don't know how long the offers will be on the table.

I would not be surprised in the least for the O's to be their normal glacial selves in making this decision and have at least one suitor lose patience and look elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Bull? Yes, I'm sure no one will make any deals that affect the Orioles in the meantime.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Bull? Yes, I'm sure no one will make any deals that affect the Orioles in the meantime.

I'm sure deals will get made.    Show me some evidence that the early deals turn out better for the selling team than the late ones.     

29 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

No one said we couldn't move him later, but if LAD gets a very good RP here in next few days you think they offer up the same package or may even still have interest to deal a lot of assets for Britton? Who knows.

Could we deal Britton to TB, MIL, or some other team that may want RP's? Of course. May not be as ideal of a package though.

If the Dodgers get a really good reliever, then that increases the pressure on their competition to make a move. It works both ways. 

Archived