TT: ORIOLES UNEQUIVOCALLY NEED TO BE SELLERS!

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm very afraid of that happening.  I can definitely see the O's ending up with draft picks for Britton & Machado, which is criminal.  It's not even 1st round picks anymore.  Is it 2nd round picks or compensatory round?

If they let Brach,Britton and Machado go in FA without trading them that might set back this team 5 years worth of talent. You don't make that kind of move unless you're not only a playoff contender but a WS title contender.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

A complete fire sale is in order but the poor decisions on Davis, O'Day, and Trumbo put us behind the eight ball to begin with.   There is no quick fix but he Orioles management is still living in the short term so my best guess is that they will hold onto Britton and Machado and try to make some short term fixes to the starting pitching in the off season and take one more final run next season.

I will be pleasantly surprised if either one is dealt before the deadline.   Even so, it's impossible to get back enough talent to fill all of the holes on this team going forward with very little help, particularly in the pitching department, over the next two years.    This is going to be a long road back which is why I think they will hold onto the core and take one more run next year.   

So if they do that where does the starting pitching come from?  They will have Bundy and Gausman with probably a new pitching coach to see if they can make Gausman productive.  They may bring Tillman back on a make good incentive based contract but there are no guarantees that that will work.  And the management team knows that.

They have to trade Britton to try to get starting pitching in return.   Manny?  Probably an off season decision. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

A complete fire sale is in order but the poor decisions on Davis, O'Day, and Trumbo put us behind the eight ball to begin with.   

Neither the Trumbo nor the O'Day contract is a big albatross.    The Davis deal is another matter entirely.    

Call me crazy but I actually believe Angelos is coming around to selling. Bordick brought it up on MASN last night and now Roch writes an article about trade interest in Brach. It's like they're using the network to float the idea out there to the fanbase

Just now, RZNJ said:

13M for Trumbo.   8M for O'Day.    I'd call that a poor allocation of 21M a year.   Trumbo should be a 1B or DH.     The Davis contract makes him a DH.   Mancini's best position is DH.      Do you think Trumbo can be moved without eating some of his contract if not most of his contract.    He was paid for an .850 season and he's back to being the mid 700's guy he always was.     A DH with a mid 700's OPS isn't all that valuable nowadays as Chris Carter can attest.    Is it an albatross?   No.    Was it a bad decision that hampers the team moving forward?    Yes.     Same with O'Day.    He had some injury problems, IIRC, before we extended him.    

Couldn't let the Nats sign him.

On 7/13/2017 at 4:46 PM, Frobby said:

Notice I didn't say that going 5-2 in the first week would be enough for me to say not to sell.    I said two weeks, but if the outcome is bad the first week, no need to wait.    

I expect sometime in the next two weeks I'll be on the selling bandwagon.    But I just don't see a reason to hurry.    It's not just about the "evidence," it's about the standings.   If the 5% odds are the same or less in two weeks, end of discussion.    But if events occur that significantly improve the odds, I want to mull that over before pulling the trigger.   

Ready to jump on now or are would you still like to wait a couple weeks? 

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ready to jump on now or are would you still like to wait a couple weeks? 

Funny, was just thinking to myself, screw it, they can start the sell-off now.    

I'm ready to have these starting pitchers taken out and shot.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Funny, was just thinking to myself, screw it, they can start the sell-off now.    

I'm ready to have these starting pitchers taken out and shot.  

Who shoots them?  If we made a starter do it they would miss.  

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Same with O'Day.    He had some injury problems, IIRC, before we extended him.

O'Day never had an injury issue as an Oriole before we extended him.   He pitched 69, 68, 68 and 68 games.

Tough to imagine a team willing to take on O'Day's contract with him being owed 20 mil plus over the next two years and some change.  May have to eat some of that to get anything decent back in a trade.  Same for Trumbo.

I agree though, they aren't untradable like Davis is.  Just tough to move. 

Archived