POLL: Sell, buy, stand pat?

nsw

Sell, buy, stand pat?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The O's are 4 games back in the WC behind 7 other teams (as of 7/15 pre-game). If the O's are still 4 games back in the WC behind 7 other teams on 7/31, we should:

• Sell everything that isn't nailed down. We had our shots with this squad.
    • Stand pat -- Crush is coming back and our pitching HAS to regress upwards, right?
    • Buy -- it's ain't over til it's over.

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I wouldn't move MouNtcastle, Hays , Scott or Akin..Mullins looks like someone not to touch too.We need more than we have, but no one can say we have no pieces to move. Now if Britton gets us a top under control pitcher like , say, Sonny Gray I'd consider it. I don't see that happening. I wouldn't trade Manny this year, and Id still like to sign him if we can.

Even if it was in the team's best interest (which I don't think it is), it would be really hard to get decent value trading a major league piece for another major league piece/pieces.  All the teams who would want Britton, aren't going to be in the position to give up enough major league talent to make it worthwhile.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If you're trying to grow the arms, you need three prospects for every pitcher you hope will emerge. Pitching is a game of attrition. 

Not so much grow the arms as pillage other organizations of MLB ready guys. Over in the Britton to dodgers thread the names Buehler and Stewart are being thrown around. Get guys like that even if they don't have the high end upside of younger prospects they can help next year.  

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I have a different opinion every five minutes. 

If we were to try to retool for 2018, we would need:

1. A starting outfielder (preferably a CF so Adam could be moved to RF; Hays and Mullins could be candidates)
  2. A SS or 3B (Manny could play the other)
  3. 3 starting pitchers who don't suck

That's not a lot of position player needs, assuming Joseph  and Sisco can do an adequate job behind the plate

#3 is the soul-crusher. Makes me think we really do need to rebuild.

But I am leery of beginning a rebuild with a lame-duck GM and manager. I don't expect DD to be around after 2018 (they probably won't ask, and he wouldn't accept if they did), so I don't think he's the right person to start a long term rebuild. As for Buck, I'm assuming the O's will offer him an extension, but he might prefer to hang 'em up than to start over. Some speculate that he could take over for Duquette. Maybe, but if so, it should happen after this season, and I doubt that it will.

So, my guess is that we might trade some guys like Brach, Smith and Castillo but not go into a deep rebuild.

Maybe they'll bring in a new pitching coach and hope that McDowell has been the problem.

It's a frustrating season to be an O's fan, for sure.

Trade Manny for 3 SP who don't suck.

Have to sell, but it would only be major league assets.

Even though his value is down because of his offensive struggles, Machado should be moved sooner than later.

I'd have to get a major league ready shortstop or third baseman along with a top end starting pitching prospect among others. I don't think Manny is going to sign long term and it would send a message that this team is the retool/rebuild mode.

Britton should be moved. Once again, his value may be down because of his injury issues, but get him on the mound in the 7th and eighth innings to show teams that he is healthy enough to acquire.

Trade Castillo, he has value to a contending team like the Indians.

Move Trumbo. He has a limited no trade clause, however, Mancini has made him redundant.

These are my top four trade candidates because of their market value. However, I am listening to offers on everyone not named Mancini, Bundy or Schoop. 

My fear is that this team will sell off guys like Castillo and Smith with the hope of making another run in 2018 with Machado, Davis, and Jones as the core group. It has been a nice run, but it's time to break up the band.

It is a complete and total pipe dream on this board that the Orioles are going to sign Manny Machado.  Total.

He should have been traded already and if this team is down for years 2019-2025, it will be in large part because we held on to him way too long, didn't sign him and got only a lousy comp pick in return.  All other players already mentioned need to be moved for any return available.  Britton, Castillo, Brach, Trumbo, Smith, Kim,  even Jones.  I would only keep Mancini, Schoop, Davis (if the old man would eat money, I would trade him too), Givens, Bundy, Gausman (I would send him to Norfolk to get his act together). 

I would bring up Cisco, Scott, Hays, Mullins or whomever else to fill in as replacements for the rest of this lost season and to give them a taste of the bigs. 

The only keepers are people in the minors, Scope (our future right fielder), Manchini, Givens, and Hart.  Keep Gausman and Bundy-  they are better than then look right now and they would bring in almost nothing.  Keep Jones as the face of the franchise for a few more years.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Can I change my answer? The Angels just released Danny Espinosa. Game changer!

Seriously, they might look at Schoop if he was available. :rolleyes:

They did play Schoop at short today. Could be a showcase

Archived