Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I hope Tucker or Fisher isn't the reason we didn't make a deal with Houston.

Whitley, Moran, Armenteros and Alcala would have been a good deal.

However, I don't think that was it.....Roch reported early that the Orioles were buyer. In the end that is exactly what they did picking up a SP, and Beckham.

We have to be the worst run organization in baseball as to knowing when to holdem and foldem.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, odogs101 said:

Ok ....But that doesn't mean that you couldn't make a deal. F Perez, Moran , Armentos, and Alcala would work for me as well.

F Perez, Moran, C Perez , and one of Armentos/Alcala would have worked.

Bottom line is I really don't believe that Duquette was selling. Needing to be blown away to trade is hard thing to do.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Ok ....But that doesn't mean that you couldn't make a deal. F Perez, Moran , Armentos, and Alcala would work for me as well.

F Perez, Moran, C Perez , and one of Armentos/Alcala would have worked.

Bottom line is I really don't believe that Duquette was selling. Needing to be blown away to trade is hard thing to do.

Yep, he wants one more run at it and trading a closer for kids that won't be ready in 2018 doesn't further that goal.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, he wants one more run at it and trading a closer for kids that won't be ready in 2018 doesn't further that goal.

I think Duquette should be fired at seasons end or extended if that is what is going to happen anyway. The long term health of the franchise depends on the farm system.

With our rotation this team couldn't win the college world series. Perhaps they will have money with everything that is coming off the books to sign a few more 3 year deals to have measures like Ulbaldo that will cripple the team a few more years

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The majority of baseball folks think that the offers were all a "Hurt Britton" level. A low top one hundred and a couple flyers don't do it. 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Duquette should be fired at seasons end or extended if that is what is going to happen anyway. The long term health of the franchise depends on the farm system.

With our rotation this team couldn't win the college world series. Perhaps they will have money with everything that is coming off the books to sign a few more 3 year deals to have measures like Ulbaldo that will cripple the team a few more years

So you are aware that Dan said no and not ownership?  Reports are that medicals mixed at least one deal. 

15 minutes ago, weams said:

So you are aware that Dan said no and not ownership?  Reports are that medicals mixed at least one deal. 

Because other teams, like the Twins, can work around a player having questions on his physical.

Evidently the Orioles can't manage that.

18 minutes ago, weams said:

The majority of baseball folks think that the offers were all a "Hurt Britton" level. A low top one hundred and a couple flyers don't do it. 

You have four teams on the hook and you can't wrangle a fair deal?

Or were you looking for an unfair deal?

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have four teams on the hook and you can't wrangle a fair deal?

Or were you looking for an unfair deal?

We have no idea what deals were on the table. We have no reason to suspect the DD turned down a good deal. Britton picked a rotten time to get injured. I think DD was right to hold onto Britton as he will still have value (potentially more value).

We are essentially a .500 team right now with the worst pitching staff in MLB. If a couple of our guys bounce back to career norms and we bring in Lance Lynn, we are right back to 2016. Given Buck and DD's contracts, he has every incentive to go for it in '18 so these moves are exactly what I would expect. If you don't like it, Angelos should have fired DD long ago and brought in someone to do the complete rebuild. IMO that would have been an overreaction to two bad months. But Angelos is where the buck stops. DD is just doing his job.

My initial thought yesterday was disappointment.  Not so much with Britton.  I understand why teams weren't offering their best and why the Orioles would insist on the best or walk away.  But, I thought that there would be interest in Brach at a level that would allow us to bring in some long-term prospects.  And, I believe that part of a GM's job is generate interest in short-term assets no longer needed by the team, such as Smith or Castillo.

After seeing what teams were able to get for similar players, however, it seems that there really was very limited demand for position players at all.  Lucroy brought back nothing. We did unload Kim and got a serviceable starter for the rest of the season in Hellickson.  We got a young shortstop for a guy that barely registered on my prospect radar - but who apparently is a can't miss prospect that we will regret trading forever.  And the Yankees gave us a marginal pitching prospect for nothing.  We didn't give them anything!  We didn't pay them cash, we only let them spend more of their own cash.  Whether we should be spending that money ourselves is a valid question, but a different question totally unrelated to this trade deadline.

So, we're a little better off at the big league level today than we were yesterday.  Nothing really has changed in our minor league system.  I'm disappointed, but not to the level of despair that I've seen here.

4 hours ago, weams said:

I read the post about it and assumed it was a player coming back. I was under the impression that Moran a Houston prospect is injured and assumed that was what it was about. Speculation of course ....But if your not dead set on competing in a year when you only have an outside chance at the 2nd  wildcard that would be no big deal.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/07/23/colin-moran-astros-injury-foul-ball-facial-fracture/502947001/

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

We have no idea what deals were on the table. We have no reason to suspect the DD turned down a good deal. Britton picked a rotten time to get injured. I think DD was right to hold onto Britton as he will still have value (potentially more value).

We are essentially a .500 team right now with the worst pitching staff in MLB. If a couple of our guys bounce back to career norms and we bring in Lance Lynn, we are right back to 2016. Given Buck and DD's contracts, he has every incentive to go for it in '18 so these moves are exactly what I would expect. If you don't like it, Angelos should have fired DD long ago and brought in someone to do the complete rebuild. IMO that would have been an overreaction to two bad months. But Angelos is where the buck stops. DD is just doing his job.

What makes you think the Orioles will be anywhere near a competitive offer for Lance Lynn. Lynn has a low three era and is in line for a big pay day. Something the Orioles never do.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

My initial thought yesterday was disappointment.  Not so much with Britton.  I understand why teams weren't offering their best and why the Orioles would insist on the best or walk away.  But, I thought that there would be interest in Brach at a level that would allow us to bring in some long-term prospects.  And, I believe that part of a GM's job is generate interest in short-term assets no longer needed by the team, such as Smith or Castillo.

After seeing what teams were able to get for similar players, however, it seems that there really was very limited demand for position players at all.  Lucroy brought back nothing. We did unload Kim and got a serviceable starter for the rest of the season in Hellickson.  We got a young shortstop for a guy that barely registered on my prospect radar - but who apparently is a can't miss prospect that we will regret trading forever.  And the Yankees gave us a marginal pitching prospect for nothing.  We didn't give them anything!  We didn't pay them cash, we only let them spend more of their own cash.  Whether we should be spending that money ourselves is a valid question, but a different question totally unrelated to this trade deadline.

So, we're a little better off at the big league level today than we were yesterday.  Nothing really has changed in our minor league system.  I'm disappointed, but not to the level of despair that I've seen here.

Good post.  I'm pretty much where you are on this. 

I didn't think the Orioles should trade Britton unless they were getting at least one highly rated prospect in the returning package, along with some other decent ones, and felt that keeping him was a better option than giving him away for lesser talent.  I don't see keeping Britton as being the worst thing that could have happened.  As a fan, I kinda like still having him, to be honest.

Like you, I'm both surprised and a bit disappointed that we didn't really hear much about talks involving Brach at all.  Looking at the return that some other relievers brought back, it seems very possible that there just plain weren't any good offers out there.  Oh well, at least the Orioles will continue to have a very strong bullpen.

I'm OK with all 3 trades that we actually did make, as I don't see that what we gave up was anything to get worked up over.  I confess that I don't know much about Toby, but his value seems a bit overstated in some posts I've read.  He's a prospect, but he's far from a sure thing and a long ways out, as I see it.  Other teams aren't going to give us players of any worth for guys that are utter non-prospects, are they?  I know that the guy we got for him, Beckham, does fill a position of need pretty inexpensively, and isn't merely a rental.  I don't agree with the notion that the main purpose in acquiring Beckham was for the 2017 playoff push.  Just maybe he might help with that, but I see the primary interest in him is more likely to be the 2018 season and beyond.  The Ramirez acquisition looks good to me.  From what I can read on the internet, he seems every bit the prospect that Toby is, but I haven't seen either of them pitch - and wouldn't necessarily know what to look for if I did.  xD

Just my 2 cents.

Archived