POLL: Yay or nay on Hellickson trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Yay or nay on the Hellickson trade?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Hellickson trade?

• Yes. Hellickson will help the ailing rotation and didn't cost much.
    • No. Acquiring a pending FA starter makes no sense and wasn't worth the cost.
    • Meh. Probably won't matter either way.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Terrible. Sure the cost was low, but the cost wasn't nothing. Hellickson is awful and has zero upside. Even if Cleavinger becomes nothing this is a complete waste of assets, no matter how minor those assets may be. Acquiring someone else in the same badness tier as Miley I'd have thought nearly impossible- yet Dan manages it. Duquette has to go, his starting pitching moves have been consistently putrid. It's time to move on.

10 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Now that the trade is official -- Hyun Soo Kim, Garrett Cleavinger, and international signing bonus slots for Jeremy Hellickson and cash -- what's your verdict?

Don't like it. Seems to me that the FO believes the team can make the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Don't like it. Seems to me that the FO believes the team can make the playoffs. 

I don't like it either, but I don't think the FO is dumb enough to believe this helps the team's postseason chances.  I think this is more a smokescreen, PR stunt, for casual/naive fans.  I think it makes a trade of Brach, Britton, or both for prospects even more likely IMO.  This is creating a narrative (a false one) that we are trying to compete this season but also get better for the future.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Yeah, it doesn't make any sense to me, Aquino is better than Hellickson IMO.  

We easily could see both of them in our rotation the next two months.     Our entire rotation is on fumes, except maybe Gausman who seems to be waking up a little.    

2 hours ago, CanadianOriole said:

Terrible. Sure the cost was low, but the cost wasn't nothing. Hellickson is awful and has zero upside. Even if Cleavinger becomes nothing this is a complete waste of assets, no matter how minor those assets may be. Acquiring someone else in the same badness tier as Miley I'd have thought nearly impossible- yet Dan manages it. Duquette has to go, his starting pitching moves have been consistently putrid. It's time to move on.

It's going to be a long couple days waiting for the deadline to pass. 

I think the trade is insignificant, but voted "yes." My reason is that I can really see us running out of arms over the next two months, and this way we flip one pending free agent who has been riding the bench - Kim - for a dude who can maybe pitch a few innings down the stretch. 

Of course it does nothing to satisfy my thirst for infusing prospects in exchange for Britton and Brach, but thats a totally independent discussion. 

18 minutes ago, weams said:

Why does anyone think the Orioles will have a six man rotation? Someone will be traded, released or DL'd.

Probably not a formal 6-man rotation, but Bundy is going to be skipped a few times.

Archived