Hyun Soo Kim appreciation thread

SteveA

5 minutes ago, LA2 said:

For the first time ever, I am hoping an ex-Oriole does exceedingly well against his former team.

Part of me hopes Kim will never get another hit, just to put a stop to the narrative that Kim is a great player who never got a fair shake in Baltimore for some improper reason, which I don't agree with.   But Kim is too good of a guy for me to root against him.   I hope he does well, and lands another job in MLB next year.    

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Since this is an appreciation thread, I'll say that Kim was a great teammate who always supported his teammates and didn't sulk when not playing.   I appreciated that he rarely gave away at bats.     I hope he gets an opportunity for more regular playing time in Philadelphia.   

Well said.  I agree with everything you've said here -- and everything you didn't say.

Kim proved that he belonged in the major leagues last season.  This season he has slumped, and there was little chance that he could get playing time once Mancini started hitting.  But he has a good approach at the plate, and given the chance he will again show that he is a quality major league hitter with good strike zone judgment, a high average and some power.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

I like Kim and was happy when we picked him up. He looked good at the plate last season and there was hope by Bucks words that he would get a fair shake this season. That obviously did not happen and hopefully he will get that opportunity with the Phillies and next season. Best of luck Mr Kim!

• Upvote 1

Will always be a fan of Kim. He handled himself with grace and dignity in some tough situations with the team. I like that he stuck to his guns after spring training last year. He knew he was a big leaguer and he negotiated for the right not to be sent down and he didn't allow the Orioles to strong-arm him. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 years later...

He didn't have a particularly good year this season for the LG Twins, just .304/.370/.437, good for an .807 OPS.  In '18 he hit .362/.415/.589, 1.004.  Although the KBO league as a whole was down a full run a game from 5.53 to 4.56, and OPS down from .806 to .723.  So his offense roughly went from 24% better than average to 11% better.