Would Yankees have traded Mariano Rivera?

brooksfrankjim

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the last time Yankees traded a successful homegrown player for prospects. 

That's because 1) With their level of resources they don't have to worry as much about signing players at market value, and 2) They haven't had an under .500 team in about 25 years. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Givens would do a fine job as closer.

If Buck wants to continue the tradition of having one.

He's got potential.  Happily the team sees it too since it seems like he's off limits this deadline.

51 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

A healthy Britton is at that level. I'm not saying don't trade him, but if you do you better get the best ever haul for a stud reliever. 

Britton is coming off injury.  Who knows if his arm is really 100%.  How much will the O's get for him next year if he is just average (or hurt at the trade deadline).

1 hour ago, brooksfrankjim said:

A healthy Britton is at that level. I'm not saying don't trade him, but if you do you better get the best ever haul for a stud reliever. 

Meh. For one, Britton hasn't been on Rivera's level this year. And for two, just last year they traded Miller and Chapman, both of who were having years at least as good as the 2017 edition of Britton. So in view of those trades, I'm guessing that yes, the Yankees would have traded Rivera as well. 

Archived