Santander

OriolesMagic83

16 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

You guys think Buck will give this guy a real chance? 

With us still technically in the race, Mancini in left, and Smith in right, I really don't see where he plays. Although Smith was out yesterday so maybe there's an injury. Just don't see where he fits in. 

If he hits & doesn't hurt us defensively he will play. Mancini hit his way in, I think AS will get a shot to stick in the lineup.

4 hours ago, weams said:

You could move Trumbo, never Davis. 

Yeah, I agree.  I just looked over a list of salaries and the closest match would be Jordan Zimmerman, but he's about two years short.  If it was a five year contract that might work from a financial standpoint, but the Tigers don't really need a first baseman. 

Several potential matches for Trumbo.  Phil Hughes, Ricky Nolasco?

5 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

With us still technically in the race, Mancini in left, and Smith in right, I really don't see where he plays. Although Smith was out yesterday so maybe there's an injury. Just don't see where he fits in. 

Next spring.

5 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Switch hitter. Also, Joey. Smith is a platoon guy. So is Rickard.

On 8/3/2017 at 9:36 AM, interloper said:

He has 1 option remaining, per Buck.

That may be wrong but for a different reason.  Beckham may have two options.

Beckham was optioned in 2013.  That is one.

In 2014 he tore his ACL in ST.  He missed 116 games and was optioned on August 10.   Because the AAA season end in 20-25 days this rule may apply  

• An option year is not used if a player is injured and spends 30 days or less on an active roster.

In 2015 he was option twice for a total of 19 days. So this rule applies:

• If a player’s optional assignment(s) to the minors total less than 20 days in one season, an option is not used.

In 2016 he was option twice once for 6 days and once on August 31st.  The minor season stop in probably 5 days.  If that is  the case the 20 day rules applies and no option was used.

No option has been used in 2017.

So it looks to me that a option was used in 2013 and he has two left.

The Orioles would not be the only team deserving to be frowned upon. Take Atlanta, for example. The Braves drafted pitcher Dan Winkler in December, 2014 from Colorado. Winkler had received Tommy John surgery five months earlier, so everyone knew at the time of the draft that his timetable to return was expected to be somewhere around July, 2016 on a minor-league rehab stint. He ended up not making it to the Braves until September (those games counted towards his 90 days). The Atlanta brass knew exactly what they were doing when they drafted Winkler: working within the constructs of the rules regardless of how shady it may seem to some.

Of course, some times it turns out to be more than frowning:

The Cubs selected the right-handed pitcher, Lendy Castillo, in the Rule 5 Draft in December of 2011 from the Phillies. Castillo broke camp on the Cubs’ active roster that spring  and by rule, the Cubs had to keep Castillo on the active roster the entire season or offer him back to the Phillies.

Castillo was placed on the 15-day DL on May 12, 2012 with a reported left groin strain. Castillo pitched in the minors, rehabbing what was thought at the time “an injury.” Castillo’s roster status was officially changed on August 11.

It is not uncommon for teams to place Rule 5 Draft picks on the disabled list with “injuries” in order to stash them in the system and not offer the player back to his original organization. The Phillies apparently did not agree with the Cubs’ practice on this occasion and called them on it.

So what did the Phillies get for their trouble? The Cubs' 1st round pick in the 2013 Rule V draft. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2017 at 3:17 PM, weams said:

Switch hitter. Also, Joey. Smith is a platoon guy. So is Rickard.

It looks like he is noticeably better from the left side, but with the way Trumbo is hitting, I'd play Santander instead, at least against righties, might give us a spark. Defensively he's most likely better than Trumbo as well. 

45 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

It looks like he is noticeably better from the left side, but with the way Trumbo is hitting, I'd play Santander instead, at least against righties, might give us a spark. Defensively he's most likely better than Trumbo as well. 

I am seeing equal righty/lefty splits for Santander. Where are you finding a difference?

On 8/10/2017 at 11:23 AM, ChuckS said:

Yeah, I agree.  I just looked over a list of salaries and the closest match would be Jordan Zimmerman, but he's about two years short.  If it was a five year contract that might work from a financial standpoint, but the Tigers don't really need a first baseman. 

Several potential matches for Trumbo.  Phil Hughes, Ricky Nolasco?

Hughes just had thoracic outlet syndrome revision surgery for the second time in 14 months. 
Nolasco looks like we would be yearning for the days of Ubaldo and Wade Miley. 
I do like the idea someone floated of Samardzija. The Giants have said they need a "bopper" in their lineup. “We really need a big bopper in that lineup,’’ (Manager Bruce) Bochy says, “just to take the pressure off everybody else.’’ I'd pay 70% of Trumbo's salary if they'd trade Ty Blach. Hell, i might even take on Matt Moore, just to clear Trumbo's deadweight (He is deadweight on the Orioles, at least, though not on every other team). At least they could buyout Moore in 2018 and/or 2019.