Well, that moved my needle

Frobby

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pdiddy said:

Claiming Verlander would move the needle.

He's not a 1 and probably not a 2 for a full season but he can be dominant in stretches (and was pretty darn good last year).

He's pitched well of late, so the hope is he'll get on a roll for the rest of the season.

If the Os claim him there's at least some chance the Tigers will let him go to be free of the cash. So the risk for Baltimore is how bad that contract looks in 2018 and 2019. He won't earn it but he'll likely not embarrass himself and the Os aren't exactly stacked for next year.  It looks better considering no prospects would be going the other way.

If they pull him back he's off the market so that's a potential win.

I think it's worth the risk, there's a (small) chance they'd let him go, and it could be a massive piece for this season.

Id also put it on the scoreboard that the Os claimed him about a hundred times during the Tigers series for trolling purposes no matter how it turns out.

If the Orioles claim him and the Tigers pull him back, the two teams can start talking about a trade.  The Orioles wouldn't have to give up much depending on how much salary the Tigers eat - and if the Tigers really want something substantial back, the Orioles can demand they eat 50+% of his salary, in which case he becomes quite valuable.  And if neither happens, no harm no foul.

I like it.  Verlander still has a lot of good pitching left in him IMO.  He's the kind of former power pitcher than can make the transition in old age and eventually make the Hall of Fame.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I read a lot of posts saying that the Hellickson and Beckham trades "didn't move the needle."    Maybe not, but this game certainly moved the needle!     Loved what Mr. H and Mr. B brought to this one!

Our pitching at home has been crazy good! Kc made us look like we have nothing but cy young contenders, Texas did the same, the central can't handle the Os.

48 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

If the Orioles claim him and the Tigers pull him back, the two teams can start talking about a trade.  The Orioles wouldn't have to give up much depending on how much salary the Tigers eat - and if the Tigers really want something substantial back, the Orioles can demand they eat 50+% of his salary, in which case he becomes quite valuable.  And if neither happens, no harm no foul.

I like it.  Verlander still has a lot of good pitching left in him IMO.  He's the kind of former power pitcher than can make the transition in old age and eventually make the Hall of Fame.

That's my thought. The only real downside is it costs a ton of money. 

If they are looking to win and can help it without giving up a ton, go for it.

2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

If we can get Verlander without giving a prospect, I'm in. He can probably teach our young guys more than anyone in the league and he's still got plenty in the tank.

So you're willing to pay him $56 mm at ages 35-36?   I'm not.    When pitchers get signed to these long term deals, it's because teams think they can eke out enough value on the front end to justify overpaying on the back end.    We didn't enjoy the value part, and I'm not willing to eat that kind of money for a pitcher who is still decent, but no longer dominant. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I read a lot of posts saying that the Hellickson and Beckham trades "didn't move the needle."    Maybe not, but this game certainly moved the needle!     Loved what Mr. H and Mr. B brought to this one!

seinfeld-george-costanza-getting-massage

3 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I don't think the Tigers would pull him back.  Any team that claims him is on the hook for that contract.  No thanks. 

Archived