Thoughts on Buck Showalter continuing as manager after this year?...

alaniee

What are y'alls thought's on Buck Showalter continuing after this season as manager ??

As for me, I've had enough. Buck's thinking and strategy isn't working with the Orioles anymore. When he first came aboard, I remember the excitement and the effect he had over the players. Nowadays, I don't see it anymore. Buck seems so old and washed up is what I see now.

Of course I'm not saying he's not a good coach. I am sure he's still a good coach. I just don't see him being the right guy here for much longer. It's time to phase out the "old" mangers and bring in young fellas. I'd love to see the Orioles more aggressive, more stealing bases, more excitement.

The orioles I see now don't show much excitement. It's gotten old. Buck has gotten old. I'm done with him, his time has come. It's time for Buck to move on and enjoy his retirement. I don't know what Buck's contract status is?? If he's only signed through this season, I certainly hope he moves on and/or the organization decides against signing him back. The same goes for Dan Duquette. Time to move on. Time for a new ERA.

Baltimore needs excitement. Baltimore needs young blood throughout the organization.

For example, I was hoping the rain delay tonight would last 2-3 hours JUST because I didn't want Tillman back out there. 2 homeruns to the first 2 batters, I knew Tillman had NOTHING tonight. Why put him back out there... only to get us further behind. Come on now. Time for aggressive changes. Time for accountability.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck is the only reason we are near .500 with our abysmal pitching staff.

With that said, if he keeps running Tillman out there, who is clearly hiding an injury, and forces JJ Hardy's corpse back into the lineup on a daily basis, I'm fine with parting ways and winning the World Series the next year like the Yankees and Diamondbacks.

At some point, he has to show some growth and cut ties with veterans who are dragging the team down. Ubaldo has been ok lately but he's also a big reason why we are under .500.

If it is truly win now mode, he has to utilize the roster properly to WIN NOW and not just try and keep the vets happy.

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

This is ridiculous on the face of it. Some messag board wannabe GM wants to fire one of the best managers in baseball? If it weren't for Buck we would be 10 games out.

Buck will leave when Buck chooses to leave. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

Buck will leave when Buck chooses to leave. 

He will also leave Gentry in the line-up in the bottom of the eighth against a RHP when he had Seth Smith on the bench, which is dumbfounding. 

I think he's great, but I don't understand a lot of his non-moves. 

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

This is ridiculous on the face of it. Some messag board wannabe GM wants to fire one of the best managers in baseball? If it weren't for Buck we would be 10 games out.

Agreed, the decision to make is on Duquette! Angelos needs to find someone he trusts and let him do the job. Promote Brady Anderson, bring back Cal as manager and promote Buck to GM. Our front office is bad and handcuffing the GM makes the job impossible plus teams will become hesitant to work with us when they have any other option.

I'm a huge Buck fan, and want to keep him, but it's legitimate to ask whether he's gotten too set in his ways and whether his loyalty to veteran players is hurting the team.    Overall I think he brings a lot more positives than negatives.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'm a huge Buck fan, and want to keep him, but it's legitimate to ask whether he's gotten too set in his ways and whether his loyalty to veteran players is hurting the team.    Overall I think he brings a lot more positives than negatives.

Is it legitimate to ask those questions?  Sure.

But for what Buck's done for this franchise, he's earned a very long leash, and in my mind can manage this team as long as he chooses.

8 hours ago, alaniee said:

What are y'alls thought's on Buck Showalter continuing after this season as manager ??

As for me, I've had enough. Buck's thinking and strategy isn't working with the Orioles anymore. When he first came aboard, I remember the excitement and the effect he had over the players. Nowadays, I don't see it anymore. Buck seems so old and washed up is what I see now.

Of course I'm not saying he's not a good coach. I am sure he's still a good coach. I just don't see him being the right guy here for much longer. It's time to phase out the "old" mangers and bring in young fellas. I'd love to see the Orioles more aggressive, more stealing bases, more excitement.

The orioles I see now don't show much excitement. It's gotten old. Buck has gotten old. I'm done with him, his time has come. It's time for Buck to move on and enjoy his retirement. I don't know what Buck's contract status is?? If he's only signed through this season, I certainly hope he moves on and/or the organization decides against signing him back. The same goes for Dan Duquette. Time to move on. Time for a new ERA.

Baltimore needs excitement. Baltimore needs young blood throughout the organization.

For example, I was hoping the rain delay tonight would last 2-3 hours JUST because I didn't want Tillman back out there. 2 homeruns to the first 2 batters, I knew Tillman had NOTHING tonight. Why put him back out there... only to get us further behind. Come on now. Time for aggressive changes. Time for accountability.

Their contracts run through 2018. I don't see ownership making changes this offseason. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree totally with this. I think he's a very good manager, but of course he makes some weird moves/non-moves at times. I like that the team pretty consistently plays with a lot of heart and usually with a lot of head. Most of us remember the days of lethargic, "can't-wait-for-the-season-to-end" play during the dark days. I'm very happy to see almost no evidence of that since Buck arrived. 

Archived