8/19/2017, Replica Camden Yards Night

DirtyBird

Brady styling and one Dan C's opine (but did Brady actually win?  One could argue that the "Big Fella" won):

"The old-timer home run derby was an excellent concept, though, in practicality, it was a bit painful to watch, especially when the first participant, fan favorite Joe Orsulak, scored no points.

At least the Orioles had the good sense to award a point each time a ball traveled at least 300 feet. That made it more competitive, since the five participants combined for only four “legit” homers in the two-round competition (Sam Horn hit two and Chris Hoiles and eventual champion Brady Anderson each had one).

I think it again confirmed just how hard it is to homer out of a major league ballpark, even in an exhibition contest for fun. I mean, these guys are retired, but they are also former big leaguers. It ain’t easy.

“If you watch home run hitting contests through the decades, guys don’t (homer) routinely. (Gary) Sheffield, Ellis Burks, (Mike) Piazza, those guys have gone up for 10 swings, a collection of the greatest power hitters in the history of the game, and not hit one home run,” said Anderson, who participated in the MLB Home Run Derby in 1996 and 1997. “It’s not that easy all the time, even for current big leaguers.”

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/08/20/myriad-os-thoughts-mostly-good-1992-celebration-beckham-hardy-element-gausmans-night-rain-goes-away/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The video recapped by a gushing Bordy:

DHrH1zXUIAAYpwx.jpg

15 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I've learned that Sam Horn, Mark McLemore, and Adam Jones all went to the same high school.

When they introduced the players, it really surprised me when it was mentioned that McLemore had a **19** year major league career.

But it's true.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Those are great jerseys.  The script is so much better than the current jerseys.  

Totally agree.  Any O's jersey with that loop on the O have always been my favorites. It looked best, imho, when there was no underline, though. 

12 hours ago, BMann said:

What kind of reception did Mussina get? Cheers? Boos? A mix of both?

Just my opinion and thoughts after attending...

I thought it was nearly all MOOSE, and little if ANY boos.  For other evidence that the crowd was in appreciation of the moment and the 25 years, Glenn Davis was received quite warmly.  I thought the event was well, done.  Sam Horn commented on how tough the second set of swings were.  Brady seemed by far the most into the competition.  He even took his final swing after clinching the win, so the fire still there.

The 1992 highlights shown throughout the day were phenomenal.  I had forgotten many details. Johnny Oates and Cal Sr were missed.  Took my son to Boogs and just missed #26 but had a great meal.

Adam Jones is clearly the heart and sole of this team.  He throws the baseball into the crowd after every home half of the inning and clearly has the respect of teammates as well as opponents.  He made a very nice effort to take away a HR from Luis Valbuena.  I enjoyed watching the O's players seek out and chat with future hall of famer Albert Pujols.  Mike Trout hit two bombs and I am gonna go out on a limb and say that guy is gonna turn out to be a pretty good player. ;) 

Finally, my son tried all night to get an autograph, and even after relocating to directly beside the Orioles dugout after the rain delay he was unsuccessful.  However he made friends with the usher seated there and after getting not one, not two, but three baseballs he asked the usher who secured one of them to sign it for him.  It was hilarious and the mans laughter made my night.

While the Orioles lost, having only seen them on TV since 2013, we could not have had a more enjoyable father and son evening.  And my son has two Orioles park replicas that he would trade for bobble head of Chris Davis, Manny Machado or Jonathan Schoop.  But the ball signed by Mr. Barry is a keeper!  Lol.

Archived