Serious question: would hypnosis help Chris Davis?

Frobby

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It seems to me there's a psychological component to Chris Davis' inability to pull the trigger on obvious strikes.     For anyone who knows anything about hypnosis:  is it possible it would help?

I don't know anything about hypnosis but Davis is simply not the player he was     2-3 seasons ago. I was expecting .260+ 30 homers and 100+ through his 33 year old season.

The Adderral issue a few years ago was a red flag and it's not talked about by the club or Davis. Is it possible that he doesn't have the exemption?

To me Davis has lost the swagger, and at times looks completely clueless. I have to say that I'm surprised that he wasn't pinch hit for if Jones was available. 

I'd try a witch doctor, a shaman, a priest (exorcist), a christian scientist or anything else at this point. The guy is losing us ball games. It's not that I think this team is a playoff team, I don't, but he's become an absolute albatross with Buck insistence of batting him in the middle of the order and not pinch hitting him in key situations late in games with a clearly better options available.  

Let's face it, Adderall free Davis is not good.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It seems to me there's a psychological component to Chris Davis' inability to pull the trigger on obvious strikes.     For anyone who knows anything about hypnosis:  is it possible it would help?

Why do you think it's psychological and not physical?

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't know about that. Is this just a lost season for him? Wasn't there a catcher for the Mets that couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher? Mackey Sasser? Not sure if he is the right one I am thinking about?

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

Why do you think it's psychological and not physical?

He's not injured or he wouldn't be playing. The Adderall issue tells you that he has a focus problem at very least. This problem is MLBs in my opinion. I think it sucks that they allowed him to use it and then. Pulled the exemption after the performances produced that albatross type contract.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd try a witch doctor, a shaman, a priest (exorcist), a christian scientist or anything else at this point. The guy is losing us ball games. It's not that I think this team is a playoff team, I don't, but he's become an absolute albatross with Buck insistence of batting him in the middle of the order and not pinch hitting him in key situations late in games with a clearly better options available.  

Let's face it, Adderall free Davis is not good.

But Tony doesn't he take something else for his ADD? 

3 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

But Tony doesn't he take something else for his ADD? 

If you've ever had ADD, and other similar issue. You'd know that each medication effects people differently and sometimes have adverse side effects. 

The fact that Adderral seemed to work well for him is the right outcome if you are a doctor. It could take years to find something else and maybe it doesn't happen.

As a psychiatrist, the short answer is no.  Adderall can be more effective for individual patients more than Vyvanse although I have no knowledge as to Chris's specific clinical condition or whether that relates at all to his batting woes.    What would help is him working on a radical changing of his approach at the plate. 

19 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

If you've ever had ADD, and other similar issue. You'd know that each medication effects people differently and sometimes have adverse side effects. 

The fact that Adderral seemed to work well for him is the right outcome if you are a doctor. It could take years to find something else and maybe it doesn't happen.

I didn't know that. Thank you for the info.

Unless hypnosis can speed up Chris Davis'  bat, I don't think it will help.

Take a look the stats at how Chris Davis' handles a fastball this year versus previous seasons.  From Fangraphs, these were his Runs created above average against a fastball in previous seasons compared to 2017:

2012: 12.8
2013: 26.2
2014: 12.0
2015: 31.9
2016:  24.0
2017: -1.0

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9272&position=1B#pitchvalues

It's reasonable to assume that Chris Davis' bat speed has radically declined this year based on his poor performance against the fastball compared to previous seasons.  A bat speed decline typically forces a hitter to be more of a guess hitter.   And it seems when Chris Davis guesses wrong, he wants to keep his bat on his shoulder.

Archived