Which of the following players will not be on the 2018 opening day 40 man O's roster?

wildcard

Looking for opinions here:

1. Davis 1B (L)

2. Schoop 2B -  options

3. Beckham  SS - options

4, Manny 3B - options  with his permission

5. Mancini LF - options

6. Jones CF/RF

7. Hayes CF/RF options

8. Trumbo DH

9. Joseph C - options

10. Santander OF/DH  options after 44 days (S)

11. Wynns  C - options

12. Hardy UIF/coach  1/2m contract

13. Rickard OF - options

14. Sisco C - options (L)

15 Rifaela OF - options (L)

16 Bundy 

17. Gausman

18. Tillman - make good contract

19. Castro 

20  Asher - options

21. Ramirez - options

22. Brach

23. Givens  - options

24. O'Day

25. Hart  - options (L)

26. Bleier - options (L)

27. Wright

28. Crichton - options

29, Faulkner - option (L)

30. Liranzo - options

31. Yacabonis  - options

32. Harvey - options

33. Wotherspoon - options

34. Scott - options (L)

35. Long - options

36. Hess - options

37. Means - options (L)

38  Lee - options (L)

39 SP (L) ?

40 SP (L) ?

Britton traded for starting pitching.

.Mullins (S)  and  Stewart (L) begin ST not  on 40 man roster

I don't see Rifaela being on the 40.

I'm hoping they do add Wynns to the 40, with him being Rule 5 eligible.

I don't know if Hardy is brought back.

I'm sure of another Rule 5 pick coming, especially a pitcher.

Hess and Means probably won't be added. I could see Tim Berry get added if he has a good Spring.

Don't see Wright staying on the 40, whether he gets moved for someone or just removed from it to create space and kept in Norfolk.

Not sure who they use as a Utility. Flaherty at a reduced cost? Free agent? Only one person has been really doing that and that is Adrian Marin right now. Steve Wilkerson was, but he hasn't been seen in weeks. Not sure if injured, horribly sick from the thing that went thru the clubhouse, or what.

I don't see 7, 11, 12, 15, 20, 21, 25, and 27 - 40 on the OD roster.

And I only see Tillman on the OD roster if he's willing to do a one-year "prove-it" deal.

Which, I know, does not equal 25 players remaining, but I imagine moves will be made...

I don't see JJ Hardy returning at any price.

Here is why I think the following players on are on the 40 man roster on opening day.

Hays - Will enter ST not of the 40 man roster but will earn a spot in the outfield with his ST play.  IMO he is the O's #1 prospect.  He is a complete player with power, speed, and range.  He will make the jump from AA.  I don't want him in Harbor Park.

Wynns  - will be exposed to the Rule 5 draft  if not protected.  He is a good defensive catcher that can hit for OBP.  Good arm.  Has caught 43% of stealer this season.   If Castillo opts out he will be the O's back up catcher.  Sisco  still needs to work on controlling the running game and will start the year at AAA IMO.

Hardy is a judgement call.   I think the best way to have Beckham reach his ceiling as a defensive SS is to have Hardy and Bobby Dickerson work with him for a year.   That is the best thing long term for the O's.  Hardy has the defensive ability to play 2B/SS/3B.   He will not hit much but that is not the reason he is on the team.  Its an offer I would make to Hardy.  I don't know if it is something he would want to do. 1/2m.

Rifaela - is a 22 year old who has hit 22 HR and has a 864 OPS in A+  Frederick.   He is eligible for the Rule 5 draft.   I think the league is watching what the O's did with Santander.  Someone will take him if he is not protected IMO.

Asher - Is on the bubble.  He has an option left next year.   He can start and be a long man.  He has a 3.51 ERA in 9 starts at AAA.  The O's will need 8-10 starters during the 2018 season.   Asher has done the best of any starter at Norfolk this year.

Ramirez - is 13-3 with a 3.27 ERA  in 21 starts at AA this year.   He is eligible for the Rule 5 draft and will be taken is not protected.IMO.

Hart  - is on the 40 man roster currently.  Hart is left-handed, young, cheap and has a 3.12 ERA in the major this year.  He has a 1.74 ERA at AAA.  If he is taken off the roster he will be claimed.

Wright - Is on the 40 man roster.  he has a big arm.  The O's are in the process of converting him to a reliever. He has proven himself at AAA but has not been able to have success in the majors.  He will be out of options next spring.  Much like Tillman and Britton in past years.  He will need a good spring to stick with the O's.  I think the O's give him the chance to stay.  Its up to him to perform.

Means - Left-handed starter at AA.  Has improved as the year has went along.  Is 3-0 with a 3.89 ERA in the second half.  I think that will earn him a spot on the 40 man roster and a spot in the Norfolk rotation next year.

Hess - Like Means has improved as the year has gone on.  3.89 ERA in 7 starts in the since the All-Star break.   Is earning a 40 man roster spot and a spot in the Norfolk rotation.

Mullins will be interesting. He could be on the 25 man depending on how things shake out.

If we could sign Tillman to a minor league deal, could we leave him off the 40 man?

Faulkner seems expendable. 

Hardy would be a waste of a spot unless they think he can really play. 

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mullins will be interesting. He could be on the 25 man depending on how things shake out.

If we could sign Tillman to a minor league deal, could we leave him off the 40 man?

Mullins will probably compete with Rickard for a backup spot in the outfield during ST.   If the 40 man roster is full that could be a factor in whether Mullins is added or not.   

I think the O's will work with Tillman over the off season to improve his shoulder and arm strength.   I guess the market demand for him or the lack there of will determine if a major or minor lead contract is required to sign him.  But by opening day the O's should know how improved he is.  That will determine if he makes the roster or not IMO.

Faulkner is a lefty.   His 2.84 ERA,  his less hits and innings pitched and his .212 avg against are all positive signs from him.  His walks are what he has to work on to make it to the majors.   He will turn 25 in September.   He may give  Hart or Bleier some competition for a roster spot if he can cut down the walks.

We know Hardy can still play SS defensively.  We know he is a respected leader in the clubhouse.  If he can play a role in getting Beckham to be a more consistent fielder he would be worth the roster spot IMO.  UIFers rarely hit well because of their lack of consistent playing time.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Faulkner is a lefty.   His 2.84 ERA,  his less hits and innings pitched and his .212 avg against are all positive signs from him.  His walks are what he has to work on to make it to the majors.   He will turn 25 in September.   He may give  Hart or Bleier some competition for a roster spot if he can cut down the walks.

He hasn't shown any sign of improvement this year. 5.5 BB/9 in AAA. To put that into perspective, Ubaldo is down to 3.9 BB/9 against MLB hitters. I don't know who the PTBNL was, but Faulkner seems like a nothing-lost-nothing-gained type of guy if there is a roster crunch.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

He hasn't shown any sign of improvement this year. 5.5 BB/9 in AAA. To put that into perspective, Ubaldo is down to 3.9 BB/9 against MLB hitters. I don't know who the PTBNL was, but Faulkner seems like a nothing-lost-nothing-gained type of guy if there is a roster crunch.

I agree the walks are a problem.  Whether it can be fixed or not I don't know.  

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Absolutely no reason for Hess or Means on 40 man roster.

Are you basing that on having seen them or their stats?  40 man spots are really predicated on stellar stats - Bridwell and Gunkel are a couple of adds recently that come to mind.  And Chris Lee only had 7 AA starts when he got added.  The O's are probably more worried about who they might lose in the Rule 5 - and both Means and Hess are available.

Hess is probably more susceptible to the Rule 5 draft.  Most scouting reports project him as a middle to late inning reliever type with the idea that he will probably gain a couple of ticks on his fastball if he's in relief - the couple of games I've seen he sits 93-95 even in later innings.  If a team thinks he'll get up to 97 out of the 'pen, he could be gone.  Plus, his addition could provide some big league bullpen depth during the year since he'll have all his options.

Means is a lefty starter that's performed pretty well.  I don't think his stuff will translate into being a LOOGY, but he could provide solid long relief or a team might believe they can develop him into a serviceable starter while using him out of the 'pen.  So he might also be protected.

Just now, OrioleRedenbacher said:

Are you basing that on having seen them or their stats?  40 man spots are really predicated on stellar stats - Bridwell and Gunkel are a couple of adds recently that come to mind.  And Chris Lee only had 7 AA starts when he got added.  The O's are probably more worried about who they might lose in the Rule 5 - and both Means and Hess are available.

Hess is probably more susceptible to the Rule 5 draft.  Most scouting reports project him as a middle to late inning reliever type with the idea that he will probably gain a couple of ticks on his fastball if he's in relief - the couple of games I've seen he sits 93-95 even in later innings.  If a team thinks he'll get up to 97 out of the 'pen, he could be gone.  Plus, his addition could provide some big league bullpen depth during the year since he'll have all his options.

Means is a lefty starter that's performed pretty well.  I don't think his stuff will translate into being a LOOGY, but he could provide solid long relief or a team might believe they can develop him into a serviceable starter while using him out of the 'pen.  So he might also be protected.

I've watched a decent amount of Bowie games on milb tv. If someone takes Hess or Means in the Rule 5 draft, I imagine we would be getting them back in not much time. Not sure any team is going to want to do what we did with Garcia.

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hays - Will enter ST not of the 40 man roster but will earn a spot in the outfield with his ST play.  IMO he is the O's #1 prospect.  He is a complete player with power, speed, and range.  He will make the jump from AA.  I don't want him in Harbor Park.

Putting aside the issue of whether Hays is ready to jump directly from AA to the majors, I think the "I don't want him in Harbor Park" argument is mistounded.     Harbor Park tamps down offensive production -- so what?     Everyone knows it, and it's taken into account when players are evaluated.    When players graduate from there and move to OPACY, they think they've died and gone to heaven. I'd say it makes the transition to the majors easier -- the pitchers are tougher but the park is easier.    

Frankly, if anyone playing in Harbor Park worries me at all, it's the pitchers.     It's too easy to get away with being a fly ball pitcher there and pitchers may fall into patterns and habits that lead to trouble when they get to the majors.   

Hardy is gone, I think DD gets rid of Trumbo to someone like Texas or a team who needs a power bat, Tillman gets chucked into the harbor, Castillo is gone, Sisco is traded for SP. His arm is atrocious (Everything else isn't bad, handled a wild Aquino who just couldn't find his release point well), even though his bat is what Hyun Soo Kim should have been, he'd net us a great SP arm. This board would be on fire when he can't throw out runners unless they're Pablo Sandoval's weight. 

Hays and Mullins are in the OF with Jones. Mancini is the DH, or swaps off with Davis (No, for the last time, no one wants him because of the contract. Don't believe me, look at Verlander.) if he needs a day off at 1B.

Wynns is Joseph's backup, or they platoon if his bat is that good, like what we're seeing with Castillo/Joseph now.

I'd keep Flash on a $4 million deal. His glove is that good. I'd get him as cheap as I could, and have Marian on standby in Norfolk. Joey should be in Norfolk until further notice. Same with Santander, unless he lights up the sky when he's up at the big league club. This guy will be the reason if Adam stays or goes. 

Harvey has to go on the 40 man because the rules are the rules.  Same with Wynns. 

SP wise, I think Alex Cobb is a no brainer, and maybe Lance Lynn gets a shot here. Hellickson will stay as well, making about $9 million a year. Tillman doesn't even get a "Prove it" deal. Dude is cooked worse than Gallardo was/is. Love him to death, but let's let bygones be bygones. Another guy i'd go for is Miguel Gonzales if we can't get Lynn. 

To shore up the BP, I'd bring in Tommy Hunter on an incentives laiden deal. Or just have Wright pitch. 

Bowie's offense will be exciting next year with Mountcastle, Mercedes, Rifela, etc. up there. 

My hypothetical 40 man next year is the same as this years, only with a few more guys on the shuttle, and if Wright can prove himself as a compitenet reliever, I'd be happy. 

5 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Only way Mullins makes the team is as a starter. He has to play. No need at this stage of his career for him to sit the bench. 

Archived