So was Duquette right?

vab

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, if they get the 2nd WC he is somewhat redeemed, but you could make the argument he kicked the can down the road and still has numerous problems on the horizon after next year.  If they make a deep playoff run, he would earn a lot of credit.  Still not sure I see that happening though.

23 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Anyone think the O's are the mystery team interested in Verlander?

I think they'd be interested, but I think there are other teams with better resources, including better financial flexibility.   I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Yankees or maybe even the Red Sox.

Duquette made the right move in trying to trade Britton, but not selling him low. Once that didn't happened, he took a chance on Beckham which has paid off like no one could have imagined so far. My only issue with the trade is I felt like he could have gotten him without giving up Tobias Myers since Tampa was basically dumping him and Myers is not the kind of player that should be given away in that kind of trade. Maybe Tampa held fast and wouldn't make the the deal without him, and Duquette doesn't think he'll be around when/if Myers makes it to the majors, so he figured why not? Beckham has been otherworldly and looks like a fixture at SS for the next few seasons on a team in need of one so can't really harp on him too much for the trade.

Overall, the Orioles have gotten hot and the rest of the 2nd wild card teams are as flawed as the Orioles so honestly, whoever can stay hot the longest this September will sneak into the playoffs. Will that be the Orioles? Who knows, but as long as Tillman and Ubaldo are getting run out there it's hard to get too excited.

What Duquette and Buck definitely get credit for is playing meaningful baseball in September once again. It's something they've done every year they've been here minus perhaps one season. Nothing wrong with that.

What was there to blow up? I never thought trades would make us uncompetitive v these horribly constructed teams we're trying to catch. 'Blowing us up' wouldn't look much different. The Becks trade was nice, I love the relationship he seems to have with Schoop & Manny, maybe it will help us keep them. Our record doesn't change if Britton was gone. It's unfortunate that the timing for a deal wasn't better.

Yes, Dan deserves a lot of credit whether they make the playoffs or not.

Beckham appears to be a catalyst for the team.  As Davis says "Beckham brings a lot of energy that we needed".   I said when the traded occurred that Bobby Dickerson could make a lot of difference in Beckham's defense.   Others said no the Rays have coaches too.  But now, if we are listening, we hear how Bobby is working with Beckham on his defense and we can see the difference if we want to admit it.  Beckham looks like he has the talent to become a All-Star.  Playing with an infield of All-Stars he fits in great.  The cost of a young pitching prospect that was not highly rated probably is a steal for Dan.

Hellickson also gives the O's something they needed.  A sixth starter to gives the other 5 starters more rest especially Bundy.     I  think these two moves are showing dividends for Os now and in the future if it helps keep Bundy healthy.

I was just listening to Dan Connolly's weekly WOYK O's radio show.  He sounds befuddled.  He has predicted the demise of the O's and its not happening.   He seem to think the position he has taken calls his expertise on the O's into question.   The thing with the O's is that the team has a lot of  talented and has  underachieved.   This makes them hard you to predict.    Instead its best to take Buck's advice and "See what the boys have in store for us tonight."    I have been pointing out that has long  as the number of games out of the playoff is equal to or less than the number of weeks left in the season they should not be counted out.   Instead they should just be watched and when possible enjoyed.

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

No.  They still should have sold and sold big, just like the last two years.  Strengthening the future is more important than a small-percentage run at the 2nd wild card, esp while we have a bad rotation.

Not if the O's sign Manny to a long term contract his off season.

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

No.  They still should have sold and sold big, just like the last two years.  Strengthening the future is more important than a small-percentage run at the 2nd wild card, esp while we have a bad rotation.

Of course it's a myth that a couple deadline deals will automatically "strengthen out the future".

They can help, of course.   Or they can be total busts.   Or anywhere in between.   People in favor of dumping always emphasize the positive, of course.

Several years ago the Tigers made a bunch of sell-deals at the deadline... Cespedes, Price.   They certainly got some quality back.   Yet they still suck.

The Phillies made their much ballyhooed deal for Hamels a couple years ago and here they are a couple years later with the worst record in baseball.

Being good enough to compete is never guaranteed.   You shouldn't throw it away.

Now all that being said, I was actually pretty convinced myself by July 31 that this team wasn't good enough to compete, and have been pleasantly surprised by recent play.   I would not have been upset if we had made good deals for expiring assets.   I wasn't chomping at the bit for it at the first sign of adversity in late May like some people on here were -- as always, I consider it a last resort if you can't compete, unlike a lot of folks who think it is a legitimate strategy that should be pursued from the outset (maybe year after year, always chasing some great mythical future like the Tigers are).   But by July 31 I was actually willing to drop back and punt.   Based on how this team looked at the time.   That said, I don't agree with your basic statement, which you phrased:  "Strengthening the future is more important than a small-percentage run at the 2nd wild card".   The real question is, do you take a move that has some PERCENT chance of strengthening the future at the expense of a small percentage run at the playoffs.   When you phrase it the way you did, you make it seem like all deadline deals work out, and your option is definitely strengthening the future, or making the small percentage run.   And of course that's not true.   You are making deals that have some chance of strenghthening the future.   Some of them do, and some of them don't.    Just like you have some chance of making the playoffs this year.

Archived