Assuming we trade Manny, who's our target for 3B?

Frobby

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

Garabez Rosa from Norfolk. :S

Rosa was in Bowie and we'd see Steve Wilkerson or Drew Dosch before Rosa.  Dosch can hit a little bit but isn't good defensively, Wilkerson is getting sent to the Arizona Fall league as a possible tryout for Flaherty's job. I'd imagine we'd see a veteran on a short term contract, but they have been giving Joseph some play there and I'd guess there is something reason for that.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here's the FA list:

Yunel Escobar (35, .736 career OPS)

Ryan Flaherty (31, .641)

Todd Frazier (32, .778)

Mike Moustakas (29, .730)

Trevor Plouffe (32, .711)

Danny Valencia (33, .744)

Moustakas' .730 OPS is misleading; he's had an .829 OPS over the last 3 seasons.  He, Escobar and Frazier are the only three names on this list who are really viable as starters.

I think I might be tempted to go with Escobar on a short deal, to buy time to figure out if Mountcastle will stick as a 3B.

Talk about the saddest list/thought ever. I don't think PA wants to be known as the owner that let Machado go. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Talk about the saddest list/thought ever. I don't think PA wants to be known as the owner that let Machado go. 

Right now, he's the owner who let Mike Mussina and Jon Miller go.   What's one more name on the list?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Right now, he's the owner who let Mike Mussina and Jon Miller go.   What's one more name on the list?

I hope this line of thinking is what Angelos thinks. What's one more!  The final nail in a legacy that will forever be horrible. I think he can't and won't stand for that final straw. I certainly see how anyone could disagree mind you.

9 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Chris Davis.

...but I think we shock the world and give Manny a 10/300 with 5 year out.

How about a mutual 5 year out?  I hate this if he's good he can choose to walk but if turns into the hitter we had in April and May all year round we are stuck with him.

1 minute ago, Pheasants said:

How about a mutual 5 year out?  I hate this if he's good he can choose to walk but if turns into the hitter we had in April and May all year round we are stuck with him.

Not happening.    Otherwise we'd just do a five year deal and be done with it.   

Yes, no way are we going to trade Manny. Everything we have done to this point suggests that we fully intend to contend again next year.  Fully intend to.  As long as Buck and Dan are here next year Manny will be too. 

And talk of extending him before he hits FA is crazy.  We would have to give him an insane deal, and even then he might not even want to stay here because well, we are pretty inept, and he sees that.  Everyone does.  Its a sinking ship.

Now, IF Duquette and Buck are shown the door after the season, I would expect us to trade Manny, but I doubt that will happen too.

But  to answer the original question, Mustakas is by far the best option on this list but will be way over-priced.  He's very good though and would be worth it offensively (not sure about his glove.) Frazier would fit perfectly here for all the wrong reasons, and I may stop being a fan if we sign him.  I think Escobar makes the most sense, and I would bet on us signing him, but again, this scenario is pretty mute because we won't be trading him.  He will walk in FA. 

53 minutes ago, joelala said:

And talk of extending him before he hits FA is crazy.  We would have to give him an insane deal, and even then he might not even want to stay here because well, we are pretty inept, and he sees that.  Everyone does.  Its a sinking ship.

I don't know that a player on this team would see it this way.    Manny's gotten to play on three playoff teams, and has generally experienced a lot of winning.    The other players on the team aren't commodities to him, they're teammates, some of whom he's played with a long time.     I wouldn't be sure he views the extensions given to Hardy, O'Day and Davis as a negative thing, even though they haven't worked out well.    He may view those moves as a laudable effort to keep key components of a winning team.    I think that players often don't play cold-blooded GM the way that due-hard fans do.    They are too close to it for that.

Is it crazy to think Chris Davis could move back there? That would free up the 1b/DH logjam that's going on a little bit. Santander is projected as a full time DH if anything, right? Hayes in RF, Mancini in LF, Trumbo at 1B, Santander at DH and all our amazing young pitchers we get back for Machado will catapult us into the post season :D wishful thinking to even assume Santander and Hayes will be average players at this point, I know...

Archived