Ross Grimsley: Orioles Are Two Starting Pitchers Away From Contending In AL East

PressBoxOnline

Hopefully Harvey is ready to contribute next year. Maybe not to start the year, but at some point early on. After that, I'd hope it would be two effective FA options, but I have a feeling we'll be offered a Mc Pick 2 off of a value menu of Tillman, Miley, Castro, and whatever FA attempts DD can make to try to catch lightening in a bottle. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MLB average K% for starting pitchers in 2017 is 20.6%. Miguel Castro is at 13.6% as a reliever. You can expect that to drop even further as a starter. Couple that with his 4.87 FIP and 5.23 xFIP and I'm not overly optimistic about his chances of being effective in either role going forward just yet.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

The same Harvey who has never thrown an inning above Delmarva?

That would be the one. I think at this point, his injury history is a bigger hurdle than his ability. If he can stay on the mound, I think that, due to his age, he will advance through the system quickly. I have to admit, however, that I didn't realize that he hadn't advanced beyond Delmarva yet.

11 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

That would be the one. I think at this point, his injury history is a bigger hurdle than his ability. If he can stay on the mound, I think that, due to his age, he will advance through the system quickly. I have to admit, however, that I didn't realize that he hadn't advanced beyond Delmarva yet.

I would consider it fantastic if he started next year at Frederick, moved to Bowie in June, and did well enough to earn a September call-up.    My guess is they will limit his innings per start pretty severely  to try to save some late-season innings for Baltimore, a la Bundy in 2012.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I would consider it fantastic if he started next year at Frederick, moved to Bowie in June, and did well enough to earn a September call-up.    My guess is they will limit his innings per start pretty severely  to try to save some late-season innings for Baltimore, a la Bundy in 2012.   

Sure. I was using Bundy as my case study, but didn't look up a few things. Most notably what level he's reached in the organization, and secondly, whether he is currently on a big-league deal that would force our hand.

• 4 months later...
On 9/25/2017 at 3:30 PM, PressBoxOnline said:

o

Former Orioles pitcher Ross Grimsley: ""If you're serious about contending and getting deep into the playoffs, you're going to have to get starting pitching. And right now, in the organization, I don't see anybody that's ready to step up next year."

Ross Grimsley: The Orioles are Two Starting Pitchers Away From Contending in the A.L. East

(By Jacob Troxell)

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2017/09/25/ross-grimsley-orioles-are-two-starting-pitchers-away-from-contending-in-al-east

o

o

With the signing of Andrew Cashner on Thursday, they are now one starting pitcher away.

o

Archived