How long before the O's convert Brad Brach to a starter?

wildcard

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

If they don't convert Brach to SP will you eat your hat? How effective will Brach be when his velocity is down to 92? How many IP can he maintain with that wild delivery he has?

I don't wear a hat.   I imagine Brach could  go from 120-150 innings his first year as a starter and be effective even with some decrease in velocity. That is better than any of these other 3-5 starter candidates are likely to do.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

You are entitled to call them 4.

Personally, I think thats splitting hairs, 93-95 is a fast ball to me. Regardless if you take a tad bit off of it.

A sinker sinks.  A fastball could do something else for its movement.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't wear a hat.   I imagine Brach could  go from 120-150 innings his first year as a starter and be effective even with some decrease in velocity. That is better than any of these other 3-5 starter candidates are likely to do.

I imagine lots of things too. I imagine I hit 50 HR next year. I'm pretty sure Buck is not imagining Brach as a starter. I can't believe as an O's fan you don't have an O's hat. If you don't I have several. You can eat one of mine.

Why do I feel like people still hold on to this idea based on that one game from 2014 where Brach pitched four innings to save the rotation after an awful starting performance.  This game, right here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT201405210.shtml

Brach hasn't pitched 3 or more innings since 2014.  I like Brach as much as the next guy, and I like having him in our bullpen.  But nothing about him says he can suddenly, at 31 years old, go from being a reliably average to above average reliever at worst, really good reliever at best, to something even resembling a passable starting pitcher, which he hasn't done in his professional career even at the minor league level.

8 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

Why do I feel like people still hold on to this idea based on that one game from 2014 where Brach pitched four innings to save the rotation after an awful starting performance.  This game, right here: https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT201405210.shtml

Brach hasn't pitched 3 or more innings since 2014.  I like Brach as much as the next guy, and I like having him in our bullpen.  But nothing about him says he can suddenly, at 31 years old, go from being a reliably average to above average reliever at worst, really good reliever at best, to something even resembling a passable starting pitcher, which he hasn't done in his professional career even at the minor league level.

Brach is a great guy and glad to have him in the pen for the team.

But, IMO, he has never started, and would take took long to attempt to stretch him out.

He has been a reliever his entire pro and college career, don't mess with what is working well, would be my opinion.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This is a topic that drives me crazy.    I’ll believe that a Martian beams down to Earth and starts a game for the Orioles before I’ll believe that Brad Brach will do it.

You almost had me there...beams down....they would just fly.

I'm putting you down here as not likely, but not impossible! ;) 

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I imagine lots of things too. I imagine I hit 50 HR next year. I'm pretty sure Buck is not imagining Brach as a starter. I can't believe as an O's fan you don't have an O's hat. If you don't I have several. You can eat one of mine.

Not to mention you're weakening a bullpen that is already missing Britton.  This has bad idea written all over it.  

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Brach is a great guy and glad to have him in the pen for the team.

But, IMO, he has never started, and would take took long to attempt to stretch him out.

He has been a reliever his entire pro and college career, don't mess with what is working well, would be my opinion.

Not that it matters for this discussion but Brach was mostly a starter in college.

http://monmouthhawks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=763

Archived