Orioles extend offers to bring back coaching staff

Redskins Rick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Multiple pitchers on the staff campaigned for McDowell’s return, and first baseman Chris Davisdid the same with Coolbaugh and Dickerson. Davis also vowed to work out with Coolbaugh this winter in Texas and make certain mechanical adjustments at the plate.

I guess this might be true but I did not see many articles during the year that McDowell helped so and so pitcher. Like to know who these multiple pitchers are. 

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Multiple pitchers on the staff campaigned for McDowell’s return, and first baseman Chris Davisdid the same with Coolbaugh and Dickerson. Davis also vowed to work out with Coolbaugh this winter in Texas and make certain mechanical adjustments at the plate.

I guess this might be true but I did not see many articles during the year that McDowell helped so and so pitcher. Like to know who these multiple pitchers are. 

Coaching staffs have long been given too much fault and too much praise for wins and loses.

1 hour ago, Going Underground said:

Hopefully one of the mechanical adjustments is swinging at two-strike fastballs that are right down the middle of the plate. It probably will be since Coolbaugh wants the hitters to swing at everything.

I kept hearing last season that it appeared that Davis wasn't seeing the ball. How does that problem get fixed? Is that really something a hitting coach can fix?

1 hour ago, panick said:

Hopefully one of the mechanical adjustments is swinging at two-strike fastballs that are right down the middle of the plate. It probably will be since Coolbaugh wants the hitters to swing at everything.

I kept hearing last season that it appeared that Davis wasn't seeing the ball. How does that problem get fixed? Is that really something a hitting coach can fix?

I think its mental, they say when a hitter is "on", the ball looks like a softball size ball, and when the hitter is "off", the thing looks like a golf ball size ball.

Sometimes, hitter just over think too much while in the box.

Have you noticed that McDowell, on his mound visits,  virtually never gives the pitcher the encouraging pat on the back or makes some other supportive act of physical touch?  To my recollection,  such actions are  de rigueur for other pitching coaches when visiting the mound. 

3 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Have you noticed that McDowell, on his mound visits,  virtually never gives the pitcher the encouraging pat on the back or makes some other supportive act of physical touch?  To my recollection,  such actions are  de rigueur for other pitching coaches when visiting the mound. 

Do you suspect that this is a significant contributor to us having the worst starting rotation in team history?

Archived