Comparison of last year's team payroll to current payroll projection

wildcard

This is a simplistic look at what the teams opening day payroll was in 2017 vs what Cots Contract says it is now.   Cots numbers  include current contracts. Arbitration estimates, 0-3 year players and any money due for DFA or traded players. 

Note: Yankees number is to the luxury tax  and the Marlin is to the 90m level they said they wanted to get to

1) Tigers 199m last year, 128m currently = 71m Avila:" Its rebuild phase"   They will not be spending on free agents.

2) Phillies  100m last year, 37m currently  = 63m Continue to build; save for next years FA.

3) Yankees 197m luxury tax, 155 currently = 42m  FA Ohtani, (Rookies: Pitchers Chance Adams.Justus Sheffield, Domingo Acevedo. 3B Miguel Andujar and DH Tyler Austin) Yankee has money to spend but my no need it with their loaded farm system. 

4) Rangers 165m last year, 115m currently = 50m  projected 2018 payroll 155m = 40m

5) Dodgers 242m last year , 202m currently = 40m

6) White Sox 97m last year, 58m currently  = 39m

7) Cubs 172m last year, 137m currently = 35m

8) Mets  154m last year, 120m currently = 34m

9) Orioles 163m last year, 129m currently =  34m

10) Royals  143m last year, 111m currently = 32m

11) Athletics 81m last year, 52m currently = 29m

12) Rockies 127m last year, 99m currently = 28m

13) Angels  166m last year, 139m currently -= 27m

14) Braves 122m last year. 97 currently = 25m

15) Cardinals 148m last year, 126m currently = 22m

16) Padres 69m lost year,  50m currently = 19m

17) Blue Jays 163 last year, 147m currently = 16m

18) Twins 108m last year, 93 currently  = 15m

19) Mariners 154m last year, 143m currently = 11m

20) Reds 95m last year, 95m currently = 0

21) Indians 124m last year, 126m currently = (2m)

22) Brewers 63m last  year, 65m currently = (2m)

23) Red Sox 197m last year, 200m currently =  (3m)

24) Pirates 95m last year, 102m currently =  (7m)

25) Nationals 164m last year, 171m currently = (7m)

26) Giants 180m last year, 187m currently, = (7m) 

27)  Rays 70m last year, 84m currently = (14m)

28) Astros 124m last year, 143m currently = (19m)

29) Marlins  90m projected for 2018,  currently 111m  = (21m)

30) Diamondbacks 93m last year, 120m currently  = (27m) 

These numbers do not state what next years  payroll level will be other then for the Yankees and Marlins.   Teams may increase of decrease payroll over last year.

I found it interesting the the Red Sox were already at last years payroll level which is over the luxury tax. 

1 hour ago, oriole said:

For some reason I thought there was more to spend this offseason than 34m. If that's the case then this will be one depressing offseason.

I think the difference this year is that Cots is pre-adding the arbitration totals in their team payroll updates.  The O's have a pre-arbitration total of 53 mil. So players like Manny and his 17 plus mil are already added into the 129 mil total that Wildcard is using.

The cots numbers include Wellington 7 million and also 13 players and 9 million on guys that will make the minimum.  So it is really 50 million to spend on the 14 spots.  If we look at players hat for sure will make team.  We have 9 spots and 46 million.

The Yankees seem uniquely positioned to sign Otani.   

1) Otani wants to DH when not pitching.   That eliminates National League Clubs.

2) There has to be an opening  at DH to get the At Bats.  The O's let Holiday go free agent.  Teams like the Angels have Pujol and Boston has Hanley Ramirez who they don't want playing first base.

3) Otani will cost the 20m posting fee plus his salary.   The Yankees and Rangers are best positioned to cover that cost.

4) The Yankees have accumulated 8m in international bonus money for Otani first year.   The Rangers have used some on their available international bonus money and only have 3m left.   Considering this may be a 6 year contract  the bonus money is not a show stopped but the Yankees do have an edge.

5)The Astros, Royals, White Sox and Athletics are restricted to 300k in Bonus money for this year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/international/teams-international-penalty-2017-2018/#P5I2uwCTfqtKzZhl.97

6) Because Otani is only 23 he is restricted in how he can be signed.  He would have to be 25 to be able to be signed as a free agent without restriction.

7) If the Yankees sign Otani they are less likely to sign Sabathia which leave a opening for the O's. I have read that because Sabathia is from California  the Angels may have an edge but the money offered in the contract and the years probably makes the difference.

This is what I have read.  If anyone has a better understanding please post it.

On 11/6/2017 at 5:03 AM, wildcard said:

The Yankees seem uniquely positioned to sign Otani.   

1) Otani wants to DH when not pitching.   That eliminates National League Clubs.

And I want a date with Gal Gadot. Neither is going to happen. Otani is going to be signed as a pitcher, not a DH.

If Otani wants at-bats in the majors, he needs to sign with an NL team.

9 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

And I want a date with Gal Gadot. Neither is going to happen. Otani is going to be signed as a pitcher, not a DH.

If Otani wants at-bats in the majors, he needs to sign with an NL team.

Just Watch.  Part of the negotiation on  which team Otani will pick will include the ability for him to DH.    Yankees are already preparing for this.  They let DH  Holiday go FA.

"When imagining Otani as an MLB player, it's perhaps easiest to picture him working as a pitcher or as a hitter but not as both. But just as there's no question about his ability, there's no question about his desire to do both.

"He's telling everyone he wants to hit, too. You'll have to let him or you're not going to get him," one international scouting director told MLB.com's Jonathan Mayo. "A plan will have to be devised to save his arm and use him as both a hitter and a pitcher."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741319-yankees-need-to-win-feeding-frenzy-for-japanese-megastar-shohei-otani

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Just Watch.  Part of the negotiation on  which team Otani will pick will include the ability for him to DH.    Yankees are already preparing for this.  They let DH  Holiday go FA.

Time will tell, I guess. I'd be very surprised if Otani ends up as both a starting pitcher and a DH. It's extremely hard for any pitcher to hit well enough to be a contributor in the lineup, much less at DH, where the offensive standards are so much higher. The best-hitting pitcher in the majors right now is probably Madison Bumgarner, and he'd never cut it as a regular DH.

But hey, I'd like to see it happen. It'd be fascinating to watch. And maybe it means I'd also have a shot with Gadot.

33 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Time will tell, I guess. I'd be very surprised if Otani ends up as both a starting pitcher and a DH. It's extremely hard for any pitcher to hit well enough to be a contributor in the lineup, much less at DH, where the offensive standards are so much higher. The best-hitting pitcher in the majors right now is probably Madison Bumgarner, and he'd never cut it as a regular DH.

But hey, I'd like to see it happen. It'd be fascinating to watch. And maybe it means I'd also have a shot with Gadot.

Otani can really hit though, like he’d be a top 100 prospect as a position player.  He posted a 1.000+ OPS in 2016 as a 21 year old. For comparison Ichiro’s best OPS in NPB was .999.

15 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Otani can really hit though, like he’d be a top 100 prospect as a position player.  He posted a 1.000+ OPS in 2016 as a 21 year old. For comparison Ichiro’s best OPS in NPB was .999.

In Japan, yes, but we all know the talent level in that league isn't quite the same caliber as MLB. I'm very skeptical that he could hold up as a good two-way player in the majors. The season is longer, the players are better, and it's just very tough to stay sharp both as a pitcher and a hitter. There's a reason nobody has really done it since Babe Ruth.

Again, though, I'd love to see it happen. Preferably not for the Yankees.

Archived