What does no announcement of a Buck extension mean?

wildcard

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

This is the Orioles.   Buck will be part of the interviewing process for the new GM.    In all likelihood, the new GM will be a newer version of the two headed version  with Buck and Brady making the decisions and Buck staying as manager.

Well, I cannot imagine a GM worth having that would accept that set up. Why would you?  If it is successful, it's not yours...if it fails you are held responsible. Plus in fairness, while we have had that type of relationship, we have moved closer to a normal situation with AM and DD.  Even PA knows he needs a GM...he has to.  Ok.  I tried.  

Maybe every fan that buys a season ticket package can be GM for a day.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Much as I like Buck — and I’m a big fan — I don’t like the dynamic of giving him multiple years and then the next GM won’t have any say in who the manager will be for several years.    Personally I’d fish or cut bait with Duquette now, hire a new GM if Duquette isn’t being extended, and then let the new GM have input into whether Buck should be extended or not.    But, relationship with Buck should be discussed with GM candidates before the new GM is hired.    

That said, I don’t really know enough about how the relationship between ownership, Dan and Buck really works, whether it’s viable for that to continue beyond 2018, and whether a good GM candidate would be willing to accept the kind of influence Buck has over functions traditionally in the GM’s domain.    We hear rumors and innuendo, but don’t really know the facts or any specifics.    All of that plays into the decision about what to do next.   

Maybe if you offer to pay Dan's contract for the next year then Peter to hire someone new.

I think another thing that plays into this is the GM and Managers salaries.  Both will want raises.  Peter is only going to pay so much to manage the team.  That is another reason why one may stay and get a raise and the other may go after the 2018 season.

12 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

After being denied the opportunity to pursue a much bigger job in Toronto, I can't imagine that Dan has any desire to stay with the Orioles. 

If the O's have a losing season in 2018 Dan will probably not be in a position for a bigger job.

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's have a losing season in 2018 Dan will probably not be in a position for a bigger job.

I'm not sure what that has to do with my point or why you even think it's true. MacPhail landed the Phillies job after some really horrendous seasons leading the O's. Other teams know what it's like to work for Angelos, and DD has had a good run here.

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe because his contract is not out until  2018. I am not looking from any stability this organization. Why would Buck want an extension in Baltimore? DD probably doesn't won't to stay in Baltimore. Say Buck does get an extension. Then Angelos gets another GM that doesn't like Buck. Seems to me Buck would be stuck. If I was Buck I wouldn't come back. IMO

If I were Buck I'd want to be the GM and let Russel manage.

20 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm not sure what that has to do with my point or why you even think it's true. MacPhail landed the Phillies job after some really horrendous seasons leading the O's. Other teams know what it's like to work for Angelos, and DD has had a good run here.

MacPhil is on a whole different level from Dan.  Andy won two World Series with the Twins.  He held presidents titles starting in  1994 with the Cubs, then O's and now the Phillies.  Dan wants to get to the president level but was out of the game for 10 years.   Two losing season back to back with the O's may not keep him from getting another GM job but its will not help him move to the next level IMO. Especially when much of the team that Dan has managed was built by Andy.

21 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

He doesn't read minds, he projects his own mind onto them, and then thinks he's reading their minds.

I don't read minds.  But you are right  I try to think along with the O's management.  Somethings I am right and some  time I am wrong.   But I own up to it when it when I am wrong.  I enjoy reading as much as I can about them and listening to their interviews.    Its part the fun of being an Orioles fan.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

MacPhil is on a whole different level from Dan.  Andy won two World Series with the Twins.  He held presidents titles starting in  1994 with the Cubs, then O's and now the Phillies.  Dan wants to get to the president level but was out of the game for 10 years.   Two losing season back to back with the O's may not keep him from getting another GM job but its will not help him move to the next level IMO. Especially when much of the team that Dan has managed was built by Andy.

Aren't they talking about expansion? Montreal? DD would be a good fit there.

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Aren't they talking about expansion? Montreal? DD would be a good fit there.

How many year is that away?   

I think there are team that would want Dan as a GM.   Tigers? Braves? There will be opening for him.  But he needs to turn the O's back around in 2018 if he want more money.   He looked pretty bad not having enough starting pitching last year.  Jimenez and Miley were not good fits with the O's. and Hellickson did not help. 

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You're comparing apples to ragweed. Andy was president of baseball operations with the O's. The Blue Jays wanted Dan to run the entire organization, not just the baseball part. Mark Shapiro, who eventually got the job Dan was being considered for, is the president and CEO of the Blue Jays. 

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

You're comparing apples to ragweed. Andy was president of baseball operations with the O's. The Blue Jays wanted Dan to run the entire organization, not just the baseball part. Mark Shapiro, who eventually got the job Dan was being considered for, is the president and CEO of the Blue Jays. 

That the position Andy had with he Cubs. And now has with the Phillies.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

How many year is that away?   

I think there are team that would want Dan as a GM.   Tigers? Braves? There will be opening for him.  But he needs to turn the O's back around in 2018 if he want more money.   He looked pretty bad not having enough starting pitching last year.  Jimenez and Miley were not good fits with the O's. and Hellickson did not help. 

You have absolutely no idea who might hire Dan and neither do I, and you don't know what if he needs to do anything special this year to be more desirable. I'm confident that he wants to end his tenure with a flourish and use it as a springboard to his next position. That's just natural. Anything else is pure speculation.

Archived