Heyman Says The Dodgers and Cubs Are Interested in Britton Again

section18

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Trading Britton and gambling on Brach or someone else being able to close makes sense. New solid closers emerge just about every year. For example, in 2017 - Knebel, Rivera, and Doolittle. In 2016 - Dyson, Gomez, Jeffress, and Madson. My point being, it makes sense if we can get a solid return / fill a need like starting pitching. 

And for every closer that comes out each year, several other fail.

Why is K-Rod still in the league as closer?

Givens had as many blown saves as Brach did.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not bad, at the point in Mid May when Britton became the #1 closer, Hunter had been successful on 11 of 13 save opportunities, and the Orioles won their only division title in 30 years

There have been other quality set-up men that failed in the role of closer over the years around MLB.

Not everybody agrees with this, but I am in the camp, that closing is harder than some believe and not pen arm has the mental fortitude to close regularly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4514/brandon-morrow

According to Patrick Mooney of NBC Sports Chicago, the Cubs have identified free agent reliever Brandon Morrow as an offseason target.
Morrow put up a stellar 2.06 ERA and 50/9 K/BB ratio over 43 2/3 regular-season innings for the Dodgers and then shut down the Cubs in the National League Championship Series. Mooney says the Cubs "are also expected to monitor" the market for free agent Addison Reed as they look for new late-inning relief options. The asking price on Orioles closer Zach Britton is said to be "too high." Nov 16 - 11:54 AM

Trade relievers, sign relievers with upside on the cheap, trade them at the deadline if they’re good.  Good way to add talent if you have the cash.

Radical idea but trade them all, Brach, Britton, and Givens.

Sign Nicasio make him the closer.

Sign Tommy Hunter and a lefty reliever cheap.  

Financially it’ll be a wash or cheaper for 2018. The team gets prospects, and if Nicasio works as a closer then you have a big trade piece at the deadline who isn’t making closer money.

If the team is winning at the deadline, then you keep them unless you have big holes that trading them would help you fill.

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Trade relievers, sign relievers with upside on the cheap, trade them at the deadline if they’re good.  Good way to add talent if you have the cash.

Financially it’ll be a wash or cheaper for 2018. The team gets prospects, and if Nicasio works as a closer then you have a big trade piece at the deadline who isn’t making closer money.

If the team is winning at the deadline, then you keep them unless you have big holes that trading them would help you fill.

Agreed.  High upside fliers on relievers is the way to go.  That's how we got Brach in the first place (was his upside even that high?), Bleier (not a high ceiling but adequate) and Castro.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It makes sense as a strategy for increasing team assets.    It's not a strategy for winning this year.     With a healthy Britton, we have one of the better bullpens in baseball.    The mistake is holding onto these guys once they start making money.   O'Day should never have been resigned especially going into his mid 30's.   Britton should have been dealt last year.   

Agreed on trading Britton last off-season. 

31 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Agree with trading Brach and Britton. I would like to keep Givens. I think his value will continue to increase as he masters that changeup. Not sure I want to see Tommy Hunter again but DD does have a good knack for finding talented relievers. 

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agree with trading Brach and Britton. I would like to keep Givens. I think his value will continue to increase as he masters that changeup. Not sure I want to see Tommy Hunter again but DD does have a good knack for finding talented relievers. 

Hunter has remade himself, and was pretty good last year, better than Brach. He’s a good clubhouse guy too if you subscribe to that.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He does better with the cheap pickups like Brach, Bleier, and Castro.    Here's some of his misses.

He's missed on Wesley Wright and Ryan Webb.   I guess there's a lesson there.   I hope.

Webb was at least decent, we just had a really excellent bullpen that year. The move to get rid of Webb was much worse than Webb.

Don't forget TJ McFarland, Vance Worley, Chaz Roe etc.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He wasn't "way better" last year.

Hunter’s never really done it for me.    His fastball is too straight and there’s no deception in his delivery.    I never feel a hitter is uncomfortable against him even though he throws hard.    He had a good season in 2017, and maybe he’s doing something a little different now, but he certainly had never been at that level before being installed as our closer.    

Archived