Bedard's Rep. hurting his value?

Fan4Life

MLBTR.com

Jays Cool On Bedard?

There's a long-running rumor that Canada native Erik Bedard will sign with the Blue Jays when he reaches free agency after the '09 season.

However, Geoff Baker writes today:

But sources in Toronto indicated on Monday that the team has cooled on Bedard and may no longer be interested in acquiring him — now or later. The Jays have had some public-relations issues the past few seasons with A.J. Burnett, a pitcher expected to use an escape clause to opt out of his five-year deal with Toronto after this season.

Baker is suggesting the Jays may be reluctant to do another long-term deal with a media-unfriendly pitcher. Burnett and Bedard both tantalize, underachieving despite ace repertoires. Bedard's next contract will be a risky one, perhaps five years at top dollar like Burnett's.

Back in February, John Hickey wrote that he expected the Mariners to sign Bedard to an extension. Bedard's mediocre results through 11 starts may give them pause.

Burnett and Bedard both tantalize, underachieving despite ace repertoires.

When Burnett signed his big contract, I repeatedly said, "wake me up when he wins more than 12 games." I'm still sleeping.

Bedard has won 15 and 13 games the last 2 years, going 28-16 overall, for a really lousy team. Someone will have to explain how he has underachieved.

These Mariners reporters are getting bitter. Bedard probably wishes he was back in Baltimore.

When Burnett signed his big contract, I repeatedly said, "wake me up when he wins more than 12 games." I'm still sleeping.

Bedard has won 15 and 13 games the last 2 years, going 28-16 overall, for a really lousy team. Someone will have to explain how he has underachieved.

These Mariners reporters are getting bitter. Bedard probably wishes he was back in Baltimore.

Yup, opposing batters are hitting .222/.317/.378/.695 against Bedard this year. Reports of his demise have been greatlye exaggerated. (Lefties are raking him and righties have an obp of .279)

I have no doubt that Bedard's attitude will cost him money. It won't cost him a lot, and he'll certainly still get a ton, but it will cost him some.

If he was a Canadien version of mid-90's Ken Griffey Jr, he'd make more money than he will with the surly attitude he has towards the media.

That said, he isn't gonna be fretting over the price of gas when contract time rolls around.

For the kind of money he's going to command, a team is going to expect him to be a face of the franchise. That's just not in him. Hell, even Albert Belle gave it a go for his honeymoon period here, until the media 'turned' on him. Eric wouldn't even do that. He'd show up to the first press conference and act completely aloof and apathetic...

For the kind of money he's going to command, a team is going to expect him to be a face of the franchise. That's just not in him. Hell, even Albert Belle gave it a go for his honeymoon period here, until the media 'turned' on him. Eric wouldn't even do that. He'd show up to the first press conference and act completely aloof and apathetic...

I don't think Erik Bedard is going to be the face of any franchise. I really won't be surprised if he winds up being on the Yankees this season and even signing as a FA to the Yankees. Randy Johnson never was great with the media. If you pitch great the fans don't care how you treat the media. And owners who give out the money care about what the fans think than the guy's media ethics.

I think I'm going to have to call shenanigans on this one, too.

If you're the Toronto Blue Jays are you really not going to pursue an Ontario native (who happens to be a pretty decent LH pitcher) to come play with you because he doesn't like to talk to the press?

Really?

Really?

Conversely, I don't see Bedard ever signing as a FA with the Yankee$ or Red $ox just to avoid the wolf pack press in those two cities.

These Mariners reporters are getting bitter.

And not doing the Mariners any favors by making such a big deal over a non-issue. I personally feel that Bedard will finish strong but with all of the hoopla that the Seattle media is swirling they are single handedly lowering his trade value, assuming they try to.

Archived