So, how common are home-drafted 10-game winners?

Frobby

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

If Jim Palmer’s not a Hall of Famer, they may as well abolish the institution.    I’m not saying he didn’t benefit from having a great defense behind him, but he was a spectacular pitcher with many great accomplishments aside from his WAR totals.   

Im sorry, I didnt mean, he didnt belong in there, there was several years, Palmer was one of the best, but if you look at his overall quality of work, compared with others.

Look at his career WAR, doesn't make the min requirement (unofficial).

he had 10 very good years of his 19 year career, with WAR greater than 4, but never better than 8.5

Look at another HOF from his ERA, Bob Gibson, he had a 17 year career, career WAR of 81.9, 11 seasons better than 3.9 and 2 years were 10.4 and 11.2

21 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Im sorry, I didnt mean, he didnt belong in there, there was several years, Palmer was one of the best, but if you look at his overall quality of work, compared with others.

Look at his career WAR, doesn't make the min requirement (unofficial).

he had 10 very good years of his 19 year career, with WAR greater than 4, but never better than 8.5

Look at another HOF from his ERA, Bob Gibson, he had a 17 year career, career WAR of 81.9, 11 seasons better than 3.9 and 2 years were 10.4 and 11.2

Note sure where you’re getting the “unofficial” 73 WAR criterion.   That’s the average, not the floor.   There are more than 30 pitchers in the Hall of Fame with WAR totals below Palmer’s.    He’s basically smack in the middle.

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Note sure where you’re getting the “unofficial” 73 WAR criterion.   That’s the average, not the floor.   There are more than 30 pitchers in the Hall of Fame with WAR totals below Palmer’s.    He’s basically smack in the middle.

I cant find, but I will keep looking, I think it was something I read more than once when Mussina was being talked about as candiate.

I did find this:

What is the standard for a Hall of Fame Pitcher?

The BBWAA has set a high bar for starting pitchers to be voted into the Hall of Fame in recent years. No starting pitchers were inducted between 2000 and 2010, and just six starters have been inducted since 2011. That group includes Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Bert Blyleven, and the three Atlanta Braves: Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, and John Smoltz.

Each of these six Hall of Famers had careers that lasted from 18 to 23 seasons, while the average Hall of Fame pitcher played 18 seasons. Smoltz has the lowest WAR of the group at 66.5, which includes several years in the bullpen. The lowest on the list among pure starters is Glavine at 74 WAR. Verlander is within 200 strikeouts of Glavine, and within 25 wins of Smoltz and 31 of Pedro. If these players are the standard, then the bar for induction into the Hall of Fame is very high. Prior to these six pitchers, only three pitchers — Bruce Sutter, Dennis Eckersley, and Goose Gossage, all relievers — were inducted into the Hall this century.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/10/21/16514250/mlb-playoffs-2017-justin-verlander-baseball-hall-of-fame

Archived