Carlos Gonzalez

joelala

18 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

We have enough OF/DHs, and even then, for just offense Pedro Alvarez could do similarly for a lesser pricetag. 

I'd argue that we don't have enough OF options. Sure, we have plenty of DH options, but Cargo is a much better defensive option that Trumbo (who shouldn't be allowed near an OF glove again).

The OF (as of now) is: Mancini, Jones and Hays. I don't hate that, but would prefer to give Hays more time at Triple-A, creating a bit more depth. I would love to add an OF, but would rather a less risky option than Gonzalez. Jon Jay or someone like that who can offer rather reliable and solid OBP would be my preference. Jay could also slide into a fourth OF role--playing 4ish times a week and moving around to give guys time off--if Hays proves himself ready.

I'm only interested in Gonzalez if the price is right for the lightning-in-a-bottle type deal that it would be.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cargo is the type of player that would take a one year deal with us. We can point to what Cruz and Trumbo did here to build their value. 1/8 isn't so bad. He'd be an upgrade from Smith and allow Hays some time in AAA. 

Would he be? Smith was a better hitter in 2017 and he wasn't playing half his games at Coors Field.  They are equally bad in the field.  I'd rather add Dyson at that cost, even if it takes a second year.  I think Hays will win a starting job in spring training though, so I don't find it necessary to add OFs and if they do add an OF, I'd prefer a Jay or Dyson type who can play CF.  Jones is not good there anymore, and he's not getting younger, I'd at least like to see him resting more or preferably spending some time in the COF spots.

4 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Would he be? Smith was a better hitter in 2017 and he wasn't playing half his games at Coors Field.  They are equally bad in the field.  I'd rather add Dyson at that cost, even if it takes a second year.  I think Hays will win a starting job in spring training though, so I don't find it necessary to add OFs and if they do add an OF, I'd prefer a Jay or Dyson type who can play CF.  Jones is not good there anymore, and he's not getting younger, I'd at least like to see him resting more or preferably spending some time in the COF spots.

Good luck with that. As you said in another thread, Buck falls into some bad patterns with the veteran players.

Archived