Dan Duquette on O's Hot Stove at 6pm, Nov 30th

wildcard

On 12/1/2017 at 6:04 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

I can’t believe nobody asked him about He and buck only being here on one year deals. 

I consider myself a positive poster, but I think we all see how this is going to play out. DD pieces together a rotation. The rotation must exceed all predictions, hitters must bounce back, the bullpen has to be 2016 level, all of that just to have a chance. Then PA will simply let the contracts of Buck, DD, Manny, Jones, Britton just expire. 

Basically our organization is on a one year deal. At least I have comfort knowing that Chris Davis is locked up long term. 

If he does let all those guys walk, we will have a TON of payroll room for 2019.   Angelos has shown the past few years that he is willing to have a competitive payroll.   So we will certainly be in play for a lot of free agents next year if you are right.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If he does let all those guys walk, we will have a TON of payroll room for 2019.   Angelos has shown the past few years that he is willing to have a competitive payroll.   So we will certainly be in play for a lot of free agents next year if you are right.

Th only problem is it’s really hard to put together a competitive team through free agencies, more and more players get locked up early.

36 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Unless, of course, it’s the Orioles. I know, I know, Adam Jones.

I’m all about aggressive early extensions, especially with players who make it to the majors very young, unfortunately PA is all about players he’s heard a lot about.

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

Right, and just because Hays begins the season as a platoon player to get his  feet wet does not mean he stays that way alll season.   If that is what happens.

This is what people wanted to do with Mancini last year. I honestly don't want to do that for has, and I really didn't want that to happen for Mancini. 

31 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

This is what people wanted to do with Mancini last year. I honestly don't want to do that for has, and I really didn't want that to happen for Mancini. 

Hays is trying to make the jump from AA.   Its a lot riskier than promoting Mancini from AAA.   The O's were caution with Mancini to start the season.   It turned out well.   Hays will get his chance in ST.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hays is trying to make the jump from AA.   Its a lot riskier than promoting Mancini from AAA.   The O's were caution with Mancini to start the season.   It turned out well.   Hays will get his chance in ST.

Hays also had a pretty much identical season with the bat as in his age 21 season as Mancini did in his age 23 season. Hays adds much more value defensively and on the base paths than Mancini as well.  You can’t really compare their situations apples to apples. That said, I think Hays needs to show he’s ready in spring training. That doesn’t necessarily mean big numbers, just good routes in the outfield and  smart ABs. Like I’ve said before, I think DJ Stewart is the most major league ready of the bunch (Santander, Hays, Mullins, Stewart) and I’d be fine if he made the team and Hays got some AAA seasoning before a midseason promotion. (Hays is a much better prospect, just perhaps not as polished as Stewart)

32 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Hays also had a pretty much identical season with the bat as in his age 21 season as Mancini did in his age 23 season. Hays adds much more value defensively and on the base paths than Mancini as well.  You can’t really compare their situations apples to apples. That said, I think Hays needs to show he’s ready in spring training. That doesn’t necessarily mean big numbers, just good routes in the outfield and  smart ABs. Like I’ve said before, I think DJ Stewart is the most major league ready of the bunch (Santander, Hays, Mullins, Stewart) and I’d be fine if he made the team and Hays got some AAA seasoning before a midseason promotion. (Hays is a much better prospect, just perhaps not as polished as Stewart)

I would love to see Stewart or Mullins make the team in 2018. 

7 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I foresee a Buck vs. DD cage match in spring training to determine which outfielders make the team and which go to Norfolk. 

On 12/2/2017 at 4:47 AM, wildcard said:

One thing that has not been mentioned from Dan's interview.

Dan said they have not found the solution to Tillman''s  pitching problems.  Sounds to me like they will not paid 6-10m to bring him back.  If he will sign for a low base and incentives that don't lock the O's in if Tillman can't find it.  Then the O's might be interested.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/more-talk-about-tillman.html

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Is DD using the media to paint a bleak picture, to keep down the interest from other teams and trying a reclamation project?

It's possible, but I really didn't get that sense. I really think the best he's going to get is a minor league contract. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

It's possible, but I really didn't get that sense. I really think the best he's going to get is a minor league contract. 

Im okay with minor league contract even with heavy incentives, low risk.

The thing with Tillman apart from some of the FA, he was pretty consistent SP in the past several seasons.

Archived