Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If he can go 5 innings and allow 2 runs or less he should beat out Wright for the 5th starter spot until Cobb is ready. 

. . . And if he continues to pitch well in the 5th spot and Tillman is more 2017 Tillman then Cobb would replace Tillman not Cortes. 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think he has a good chance to win the fifth starter spot regardless of how he does today, so long as he’s not absolutely awful.   In any event it may only be for 2-3 weeks while Cobb gets ready.   

Not if Tillman is giving up 6 runs every few innings.  At some point, excuses run out.  I think Buck ran with Ubaldo longer than he would have if he had had better options.  If Cortes looks to be the better pitcher I think Buck will use him.  We shall see!  Hopefully they are both awesome.  That would be a good problem.  If they both stink, then what?

14 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Not if Tillman is giving up 6 runs every few innings.  At some point, excuses run out.  I think Buck ran with Ubaldo longer than he would have if he had had better options.  If Cortes looks to be the better pitcher I think Buck will use him.  We shall see!  Hopefully they are both awesome.  That would be a good problem.  If they both stink, then what?

Yes, I agree it could be Tillman who gets replaced.    But only if Tillman is gawdawful.   If he’s in the 5ish range he’ll get more time.   

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This has been a sad competition. Tillman too. We need help from outside the organization. It’s just not here. 

While I’m very concerned, you just never know about spring stats.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I agree it could be Tillman who gets replaced.    But only if Tillman is gawdawful.   If he’s in the 5ish range he’ll get more time.   

McGregor’s quote that Tillman has his old arm slot back gives me some degree of hope. Talk and hope only go so far though. Time for him to put up or shut up. His career is on the line. 

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I see Castro is pitching in relief today.    He may find a spot in the pen if he is lights out.

If he’s bad maybe but I think he makes the team based on his strong performance last year.

23 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The 5th starter spot is vs the Astros. All those RH power hitters. 

I know Cortes has been very good vs RHH in the minors. Still that is a tough place to pitch. 

Exactly. Plus the fact that today is the last ST game in FL and nobody has won the 5th spot is sad. I don’t like that we tinkered with his deception. 

I’m still holding out hope that Harvey gets called up for a spot start against the Astros. 

Archived