O’s have had initial dialogue with NYM and MIA

Sir_Loin

18 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

A lot of risk in that rotation. Friers would probably be an ok 5th starter but who knows if Harvey has anything left. 

I agree that that rotation would be risky.  In fact, I don't think it is probable at all that Fiers would be OK.  I find that very doubtful.  I'm not getting the interest folks have in him.  Houston non-tendered him for a reason.  They tried shopping him with no takers.  I'd just as soon sign Tillman, and I don't really want to do that.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Number5 said:

I agree that that rotation would be risky.  In fact, I don't think it is probable at all that Fiers would be OK.  I find that very doubtful.  I'm not getting the interest folks have in him.  Houston non-tendered him for a reason.  They tried shopping him with no takers.  I'd just as soon sign Tillman, and I don't really want to do that.

They non-tendered him because they have better options and they didn’t want to pay 6million for a middle reliever. One man’s trash is another man’s cheap marginal upgrade.

9 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

A lot of risk in that rotation. Friers would probably be an ok 5th starter but who knows if Harvey has anything left. 

Welcome to the reality of the offseason. We’re not going to get one of the big time proven pitchers like Arrietta or Darvish. All of our targets are going to have some flaws. We’re gearing up for a one year run because so many important pieces are on on year contracts. 

I think Harvey, Friers, and Vargas(vet lefty) is probably the best we’re going to do. 

We don’t know what we’re going to have after this year. It’s just accepting reality. 

13 hours ago, billw76 said:

The only way I have any interest in Harvey is if we don't give up anything of much value to get him. I just don't see him returning to 2015 form.

Urena would be an interesting target, but I'm not sure what it would take to get him or why the Marlins would want to move a young cost controlled starter when they are trying tom shed salary.

To me, it's probably because Urena is not good but a lucky season with balls in play might fool some people into giving up value for him. Seems like the perfect time to move him if you believe that.

25 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

To me, it's probably because Urena is not good but a lucky season with balls in play might fool some people into giving up value for him. Seems like the perfect time to move him if you believe that.

The Marlins are dumping salary. They're note going to trade a young pitcher under team control for a few years making $500K. If you want to put together trade scenarios with the Marlins the only players you should be looking at are their high salary guys. Guys like Gordon, Ozuna, Chen, etc. are who they will make available. 

I'd personally much rather dump Trumbo on the Mets and take a chance on Harvey. That organization is so inept they might make that trade. I mean seriously, they've been linked to Jay Bruce this offseason after spending the better part of 2017 trying to find ways to bench / trade him. They also continue to block their young prospects, like Rosario and completely mishandle their young pitchers. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The Marlins are dumping salary. They're note going to trade a young pitcher under team control for a few years making $500K. If you want to put together trade scenarios with the Marlins the only players you should be looking at are their high salary guys. Guys like Gordon, Ozuna, Chen, etc. are who they will make available. 

I'd personally much rather dump Trumbo on the Mets and take a chance on Harvey. That organization is so inept they might make that trade. I mean seriously, they've been linked to Jay Bruce this offseason after spending the better part of 2017 trying to find ways to bench / trade him. They also continue to block their young prospects, like Rosario and completely mishandle their young pitchers. 

Sure, but the Marlins could also be interested in getting prospects for Urena if a team is willing to offer them. Especially so if they don't actually believe he's any good and likely to regress.

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Sure, but the Marlins could also be interested in getting prospects for Urena if a team is willing to offer them. Especially so if they don't actually believe he's any good and likely to regress.

Seems like a real stretch to me. I only see them moving a young inexpensive player if he's packaged with one of the larger salary players. So if you're willing to take on Chen, Gordon, or Ozuna's salary them MAYBE they'd include him. They're in purge mode. I don' t see them assessing what the team needs and doing prospect for prospect swaps until  after they move some of their albatross contracts. Then they'll be in a better position to assess what the team needs. Stanton will be the first block to fall and I imagine Ozuna will be next.  He's been productive, but they really don't seem to like him. 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Seems like a real stretch to me. I only see them moving a young inexpensive player if he's packaged with one of the larger salary players. So if you're willing to take on Chen, Gordon, or Ozuna's salary them MAYBE they'd include him. They're in purge mode. I don' t see them assessing what the team needs and doing prospect for prospect swaps until  after they move some of their albatross contracts. Then they'll be in a better position to assess what the team needs. Stanton will be the first block to fall and I imagine Ozuna will be next.  He's been productive, but they really don't seem to like him. 

I guess it depends on how you view Urena. If you view him as a prospect and you think his future has value to the organization then yes it is a stretch. If, as I do, you view him as a poor pitcher who had a lucky season it's less of a stretch. If I have Urena and someone is willing to give me anything I deem of future value for him, I move him.

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 11:41 AM, oriole said:

Return of Chen? He is making a lot but maybe if we do something like Chen and Urena for Trumbo it could make it worth the big salary. For reference Chen is making 10m in 2018, 20m in 2019, 22m in 2020, and a vesting option for 16m in 2021 but we'd save the Trumbo money plus addition by subtraction by getting him off the roster and the 10m 2018 salary for Chen would leave flexibility to spend a little for the last year of the competitive window.

Urena's excess value in 2017 was +15.5MM (at $8MM/WAR). If he were to provide comparable value in 2018 and 2019 at the major league minimum salary and you foresee Trumbo being worth -$5MM (if he gets 1.0WAR, that is) for the two years remaining on his contract, then the 2018 total value of +20.5MM gives the Orioles an extra $10MM to play with this season. 2019 would be a wash salary-wise. The team will have kicked a $22MM can down the road for a couple of years with the gamble that Urena will become a part of their rotation and possibly provide even greater value than projected while simultaneously freeing their roster of an unneeded positional player. Overall, the projected salary loss, assuming Urena = 2.0WAR, Trumbo = 1.0WAR and Chen = 0.0 WAR, for the Orioles would be ~ -$12MM. Plus the team will have Urena's arb years. And, maybe, just maybe, the team could get value out of Chen...

I would take that gamble. But I don't see Urena coming to Baltimore for Trumbo in a quasi-salary dump.

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Welcome to the reality of the offseason. We’re not going to get one of the big time proven pitchers like Arrietta or Darvish. All of our targets are going to have some flaws. We’re gearing up for a one year run because so many important pieces are on on year contracts. 

I think Harvey, Friers, and Vargas(vet lefty) is probably the best we’re going to do. 

We don’t know what we’re going to have after this year. It’s just accepting reality. 

To me this whole offseason is a Hail Mary. You have to take a risk and hope it pays off. If not, time to sell. Actually, the time to sell is now, but that's another discussion. 

The Marlins just traded Dee Gordon to the Mariners. 

Perhaps the firesale has begun.  I posted this earlier, but I would love to see the Orioles try to acquire Ozuna or Yelich, and perhaps take on someone like Prado or even Chen to entice the Marlins to accept a lesser package for them. 

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

The Marlins just traded Dee Gordon to the Mariners. 

Perhaps the firesale has begun.  I posted this earlier, but I would love to see the Orioles try to acquire Ozuna or Yelich, and perhaps take on someone like Prado or even Chen to entice the Marlins to accept a lesser package for them. 

The Marlins did well in that trade, they could really make out like bandits in this sell off and be back to competitive quickly. The fan base probably hates it but with there position in the NL East it makes sense to dump some big contracts and rebuild, they don’t have the rotation to compete.

Archived