Per Baseball Ref, Rafael Palmeiro seriously considering making a comeback to MLB

TommyPickles

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

He won't make it to the Hall of Fame. 

If he had another 15 years (5 year wait, then 10 years of eligibility), he might.    The opposition to putting known steroid users in the Hall seems to get a little weaker each year.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I know.   But Paige acquitted himself well.

Do you really think the Red Sox were trying?  This was a September 25th game between a 65-win team and 61-win team.  I think everyone just wanted Satchel to get his pension and have a good time.  He was 58 and hadn't played a major league game in 12 years, although he had pitched a little in AAA four years prior.

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Do you really think the Red Sox were trying?  This was a September 25th game between a 65-win team and 61-win team.  I think everyone just wanted Satchel to get his pension and have a good time.  He was 58 and hadn't played a major league game in 12 years, although he had pitched a little in AAA four years prior.

I have no idea.   I was 8 years old at the time and not really a fan yet.   Yaz apparently was trying. 

I’ll say this — if Chris Davis can throw two shutout innings, it wouldn’t shock me that a 58-year old Paige could throw three.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If Raffy decides he wants to start pitching the O's might sign him to a minor league deal.  He could be an emergency starter.  xD

Wait, a left handed power hitter AND a left handed pitcher who can play the field????   Has that ever happened?

Signed

Shohei Ohtani

I thought this was an interesting read - Peter Schmuck questioning Jim Palmer about the Palmeiro comeback:

“I still recall coming out of the clubhouse in early April in 2005 and he needed 78 hits (to get to 3,000) and he’s hitting off the tee,’’ Palmer said. “And I had watched him a little bit in spring training and then at the beginning of the season I’m going, ‘Wow, there’s no bat speed. None.’ And I’m a guy who made his living for a long time judging guys’ bat speeds.

“And I’m going, ‘Boy, to get him enough at-bats to get 78 hits, it could be a painful process both for him and the Orioles.’ And it turned out, the next month his bat got a lot quicker. I didn’t know he had tested positive after he pointed at Congress and so on, but at the end of the day, he was losing bat speed in 2005. So, why would you think 12 years later that somehow (that would change)?”

I think I'm someone who has forgiven Palmeiro, as I obviously believe he knowingly took PEDs. When I was younger, especially staying up to watch that night in Seattle, I was a lot angrier at him for what I perceived as his trespasses. Now, it's almost sad to see him obsessing over this and not really progressing with his life. Palmeiro has to understand that there really is no fixing what he is done. Baseball history is probably going to forget him or cite him as an example of the steroid era, but ultimately, he has to divorce himself from Rafael Palmeiro the player and get with Rafael Palmeiro the person. He still has baseball knowledge that he can share and he can be around the game. He isn't going to ever remove that shadow over his career, but the only thing worse than that is persistently chasing a ghost. Maybe this is in his head because he more so wants to prove to himself more than it is proving to the world. Most of us have moved on and Palmeiro needs to, as well. 

On 12/7/2017 at 2:54 PM, Frobby said:

If he had another 15 years (5 year wait, then 10 years of eligibility), he might.    The opposition to putting known steroid users in the Hall seems to get a little weaker each year.

He'll get in someday in the far future when half the Veteran's Committee is composed of PED users.

...if the world is even in the same shape by then.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:47 PM, thatbearflies said:

“I still recall coming out of the clubhouse in early April in 2005 and he needed 78 hits (to get to 3,000) and he’s hitting off the tee,’’ Palmer said. “And I had watched him a little bit in spring training and then at the beginning of the season I’m going, ‘Wow, there’s no bat speed. None.’ And I’m a guy who made his living for a long time judging guys’ bat speeds.

“And I’m going, ‘Boy, to get him enough at-bats to get 78 hits, it could be a painful process both for him and the Orioles.’ And it turned out, the next month his bat got a lot quicker. I didn’t know he had tested positive after he pointed at Congress and so on, but at the end of the day, he was losing bat speed in 2005. So, why would you think 12 years later that somehow (that would change)?”

Spoken like a man who had his own sad late attempt at a comeback after retiring

9 minutes ago, droper said:

Spoken like a man who had his own sad late attempt at a comeback after retiring

If you try it in your mid-40s I guess maybe it's a little less sad?

But yea, both of these guys definitely had the personal vanity thing going on and driving them post-retirement.  And I'm pretty sure we all love Palmer the announcer precisely because he has that, heh.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived