Per Baseball Ref, Rafael Palmeiro seriously considering making a comeback to MLB

TommyPickles

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I'm a big Raffy fan. What would it hurt to let him give it  a shot in ST.

I like Raffy, too.  Resided to the fact that a lot of ballplayers in that time juiced and lied about it.

His first tour of duty here was fantastic, the second one was decent for a guy in his late 30s.  Of course it didn't end well, but so what?  

That said, we'd look like a laughingstock giving him at bats.  I

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looks like he’d make a fine week long DH for the Sugarland Skeeters. 

Teams do crazy things in ST. The padres gave Garth Brooks AB’s a couple of springs. Like 9 MLB teams let Will Farrel play in games for his movie. Heck, we gave AB’s to Garrett Adkins. 

I think a 53 year old Raffy could outhit Garret Atkins, though.  Not much of a contest, really.  That guy was terrible.

Yeeeeahhhhh, not gonna happen.  Jim Palmer thought he could come back in 1991 and then got a dose of reality in ST.  At best, some team gives him a publicity stunt ST invite, and he gets cut.  Hopefully not the Orioles.

35 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

It seems like a crazy idea, but at least he chose a time when the league is starved for power and teams are valuing DH types more than ever.

Are they?  Then why don't we just give Pedro a roster spot.  Or Chris Carter?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

If there is any level of seriousness to this, then I feel sorry for Raffy because it would mean that he has some sort of mental problems.

He’s said many things in interviews over the past several years indicating that Raffy reality is a little different than the average person’s reality. 

22 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/rafael-palmeiro-seeks-to-defy-odds-with-mlb-comeback.html

Something fun for the offseason.

He's 53. Duquette quoted in the article.

Palmeiro says there's "no doubt" he could still handle playing in MLB. Also he doesn't want to start in the minors.

I like Rafael. He was one of my favorite players. But there's no comeback for him. I don't think anyone would sign him anyway. Maybe a coaching position? 

21 hours ago, SteveA said:

Would that re-set his Hall of Fame Clock?   If he came back and played a few games, would he be eligible again 5 years after he re-retired and then go back on the HoF ballot as if he is a first timer, and be able to stay on as long as the regulations allow first timers to?

He won't make it to the Hall of Fame. 

Archived