Jacoby Ellsbury?

auzzy98

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-winter-meetings-rumors-yankees-next-move-could-involve-jacoby-ellsbury-trade/

The Yanks are really wanting to get rid of him if they can convince him to waive his no trade clause. It's reported that they would be willing to eat at least half of the 68 million owed him over the next 3 seasons, plus also throw in quality prospects to entice a team to take him. He would solve our right field problem for one. Also he could bat leadoff, has a high OBP and can steal bases. What would be the down-side of a deal like that? I can't think of many

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Isn't his arm pretty weak?  Can he play RF?  I'd rather play Hays or Jones there.

I do not like the idea of bailing the Yankees out on bad contracts.  Unless the prospect was crazy, like one of their top 4, I'm a firm no.

Yes, he has a candy arm for sure, so not sure how that will help defensively, other than he is fast and can get to more balls than most.  If they could take Trumbo and give us 2 quality prospects I think that would be a fair deal. I wouldn't consider it bailing the Yanks out of a bad contract, i would view it as an upgrade to our club. We get a MLB proven player with tools we lack(OBP, steals) and are looking for, and quality prospects. It's kinda the best of both worlds IMO.

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I think that's debatable.  Do you think they won't be ready in 2019 and 2020?  Do you think they'll carry a $10M fourth/fifth outfielder then?

Maybe they will be. Hays I think will be ready sooner rather than later for sure. I'm looking at the year 2018 if we are truly trying to make on last good run at it. We need guys to get on base if our sluggers actually hit this year,.

1 minute ago, auzzy98 said:

Yes, he has a candy arm for sure, so not sure how that will help defensively, other than he is fast and can get to more balls than most.  If they could take Trumbo and give us 2 quality prospects I think that would be a fair deal. I wouldn't consider it bailing the Yanks out of a bad contract, i would view it as an upgrade to our club. We get a MLB proven player with tools we lack(OBP, steals) and are looking for, and quality prospects. It's kinda the best of both worlds IMO.

If the Yankees are trying to shed some payroll to offset Stanton and make way for the 2018/19 FAs, would acquiring Trumbo really help that?  They'd end up giving two quality prospects for around 7M in savings if they are picking up half of Ellsbury's contract.  It'd be good for the Orioles, but I don't see why the Yankees do that unless we pick up way more than half his contract or don't include Trumbo.

5 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

Why would they take Trumbo off our hands and give us 2 prospects back?  First they are trying to get rid of salary's and second why would they want Trumbo.  If the Yankees trade him it is basically a salary dump where the team trading for him gives up a C type prospect and you also negotiate the Yankees eating some of his contract.  

9 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

Why would they take Trumbo off our hands and give us 2 prospects back?  First they are trying to get rid of salary's and second why would they want Trumbo.  If the Yankees trade him it is basically a salary dump where the team trading for him gives up a C type prospect and you also negotiate the Yankees eating some of his contract.  

That's probably true, I was just commenting off of YardBird85 talking about them taking Trumbo. 

13 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

If the Yankees are trying to shed some payroll to offset Stanton and make way for the 2018/19 FAs, would acquiring Trumbo really help that?  They'd end up giving two quality prospects for around 7M in savings if they are picking up half of Ellsbury's contract.  It'd be good for the Orioles, but I don't see why the Yankees do that unless we pick up way more than half his contract or don't include Trumbo.

Even without including Trumbo, i think it would be a decent deal for the O's. We get quality prospects and a guy who fills the gap till Hays and others are ready to step up and take over. 

51 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-winter-meetings-rumors-yankees-next-move-could-involve-jacoby-ellsbury-trade/

The Yanks are really wanting to get rid of him if they can convince him to waive his no trade clause. It's reported that they would be willing to eat at least half of the 68 million owed him over the next 3 seasons, plus also throw in quality prospects to entice a team to take him. He would solve our right field problem for one. Also he could bat leadoff, has a high OBP and can steal bases. What would be the down-side of a deal like that? I can't think of many

He is 34, only played 112 games last year, hasn't posted a 100 OPS+ in 4 years

Why would a non contender want to saddle themselves with a washed up veteran?

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He is 34, only played 112 games last year, hasn't posted a 100 OPS+ in 4 years

Why would a non contender want to saddle themselves with a washed up veteran?

He only played 112 games because they had a crowded outfield with emerging prospects. Yes, he has underperformed the last few years, but that's because the Yanks have players ready to replace him. I believe he would have more value to the O's with less talent than the Yankees. Even at 34, he's more talented than alot of the options we currently have. But i see your point too, it may not be the best option available, but i don't see a huge amount of harm with it either. And like i said he had a .348 OBP and stole 22 bases last year in a limited role. That would not hurt us.

Archived