Jacoby Ellsbury?

auzzy98

1 minute ago, turtlebowl said:

I guess where I'm losing you is I don't think they are going to eat some of his contract and then throw in a solid prospect or 2 unless the O's give up something they really need.  That was my point, why would we trade them a piece  they need?  Some team will give up a C prospect and the Yanks will  agree to eat some of that contract and call it a day.  

I think they are fairly desperate to get rid of Ellsbury and not have to go through the whole thing with him being unhappy and making a show of it. So they may not need anything in return. Plus, what would we even have to offer them?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

That's true, he is in decline, but so is Jones, and we still like him. Ellsbury would be serviceable over those age years i think, and i think some of you guys are missing a big point of this...getting back QUALITY prospects. This is a good way to start rebuilding our farm system.

I’d have to know who they are.    Color me skeptical that the Yankees would trade quality prospects merely to persuade a team to take Ellsbury at half-price.  

Travis Sawchik at Fangraphs highlighted him today:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jacoby-ellsbury-and-the-nba-style-trade/

We've been saying 4th OF here, but he's actually 5th.  Hicks's glove is the only one really fit for CF nowadays, and Gardner's ahead of Ellsbury too.  Ellsbury's now more like another guy in the Seth Smith bucket, just with name recognition.

Just now, Frobby said:

I’d have to know who they are.    Color me skeptical that the Yankees would trade quality prospects merely to persuade a team to take Ellsbury at half-price.  

Did you read the article? That's what they are going to have to do it looks like. It's not enticing to teams if that's not part of the deal. Guess it depends on how badly they want to ship him off

19 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Isn't his arm pretty weak?  Can he play RF?  I'd rather play Hays or Jones there.

I do not like the idea of bailing the Yankees out on bad contracts.  Unless the prospect was crazy, like one of their top 4, I'm a firm no.

His arm atrocious.  There are 12-year-olds who throw better.

Still a good player, fouls offs a TON of pitches, occasional pop even.  But I don't see how he fits ... uhhh... whatever the hell the team is doing.

20 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Isn't his arm pretty weak?  Can he play RF?  I'd rather play Hays or Jones there.

I do not like the idea of bailing the Yankees out on bad contracts.  Unless the prospect was crazy, like one of their top 4, I'm a firm no.

Luckily whoever aquires him won’t have to worry too much about what OF position he plays.  Since he only plays like 72 games a year. 

Trumbo for Ellsbury and a real prospect wouldn't be a bad deal. Ellsbury is still effective when healthy, and he's been on the field more often than not over the last few years. The deal would reduce the Yankees' payroll as calculated toward the luxury tax by $10mm, so they could just cut Trumbo and it would still be a good deal for them.

I don't get all the folks wanting to dump Trumbo.  I think it's very realistic to see him bounce back next year to hit 30HRs and drive in 100 or close to it.  They're going to need that production, especially if they're trading Manny.  The caveat with that is whether they retool or rebuild.  If they go full fire sale rebuild, okay, then I'd move Trumbo, but otherwise I'd keep him rather than sell low and hope for the rebound year.  I think both his contract and his production this year will be superior to Davis.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

I don't get all the folks wanting to dump Trumbo.  I think it's very realistic to see him bounce back next year to hit 30HRs and drive in 100 or close to it.  They're going to need that production, especially if they're trading Manny.  The caveat with that is whether they retool or rebuild.  If they go full fire sale rebuild, okay, then I'd move Trumbo, but otherwise I'd keep him rather than sell low and hope for the rebound year.  I think both his contract and his production this year will be superior to Davis.

But even when he does hit 30 HR he isn't valuable.

BTW, he's managed to hit 30 HR in a season 3 times in his career.  I don't think it is a "very realistic" to expect that in 2018. 

I'd disagree that 30 HRs and 100 RBI's isn't valuable.

As to your second point, we'll have to wait and see.  You could be right, but again, if they're not going full rebuild, they're going to need his bat with Machado being gone.

5 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'd disagree that 30 HRs and 100 RBI's isn't valuable.

As to your second point, we'll have to wait and see.  You could be right, but again, if they're not going full rebuild, they're going to need his bat with Machado being gone.

I didn't say that 30 HR doesn't have value. 

I said Trumbo, even when he hits 30 HR, isn't that valuable.

Taking ellsbury is the most terrible idea I have heard this offseason.

He is the only reason keeping them from making meaningful pitching additions this year or signing another mega contract player next.

That's like getting into a fight with someone and offering to take their handcuffs off for them because maybe you can hit them with the handcuffs.

Archived