Can the O's sign Manny contingent on being trade?

wildcard

The O's can't afford to sign Manny and keep him.

The O's are limited in how much they can get in return for Manny when he is only a one year rental.

Is is against MLB rules for the O's to sign him contingent upon a pre-negotiated trade.   The O's would work with the team that is willing be pay Manny the contract he wants.   Say 10/350 and trade the O's the players they want.   The O's would sign Manny to that contract contingent on the trade being executed.   

That way if the team backed out the contract would be void.

The O's would be acting as the negotiator between Manny/his agent and the acquiring team.   The O's would get more then what they would get if Manny was a rental.  Manny get his desired contract without the risk of injury in 2018 hurt his value before free agency.

Any rules against this?

If he was signed to a long-term deal, that would increase the return on a trade.  Having said that, why would the acquiring team pay the Orioles more when they can buy him as a rental and negotiate their own deal before the next offseason?  My guess is Manny really wants a bidding war after 2018.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's can't afford to sign Manny and keep him.

The O's are limited in how much they can get in return for Manny when he is only a one year rental.

Is is against MLB rules for the O's to sign him contingent upon a pre-negotiated trade.   The O's would work with the team that is willing be pay Manny the contract he wants.   Say 10/350 and trade the O's the players they want.   The O's would sign Manny to that contract contingent on the trade being executed.   

That way if the team backed out the contract would be void.

The O's would be acting as the negotiator between Manny/his agent and the acquiring team.   The O's would get more then what they would get if Manny was a rental.  Manny get his desired contract without the risk of injury in 2018 hurt his value before free agency.

Any rules against this?

Whether or not there are rules against this would be near impossible and if possible would reduce the return. The reason being Manny would have zero motivation to agree to an extension unless they were trading him to whatever team he wanted to go to and whatever price he wants, if not he just waits til 2019, you end up putting yourself in the situation where it’s one team or nothing and the Orioles would have zero leverage.

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Whether or not there are rules against this would be near impossible and if possible would reduce the return. The reason being Manny would have zero motivation to agree to an extension unless they were trading him to whatever team he wanted to go to and whatever price he wants, if not he just waits til 2019, you end up putting yourself in the situation where it’s one team or nothing and the Orioles would have zero leverage.

True,  It would have to be a team that Manny wants to play for long term.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

How is that different than 72 negotiating window for the other team?    In your scenario, the two teams agree to the players involved and negotiate an extension.   Where's the difference?    

Dan has said he does not think the 72 hour window works.   The acquiring team and Manny probably can't agree in 72 hours.   But if the O's are negotiating the long term contract with Manny at the same time the O's  are negotiating wth a team  Manny wants to go to then the whole deal is done before the trade occurs.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Which gives Manny all the leverage and then that team all the leverage when they find out Manny wants to be there.

I don't see that.  No one has all the leverage because if all three parties don't agree the trade is void.   Nothing get announced as a completed deal.    The O's can always go back to trading Manny as a rental.

I don't know if it would be legal.  Seems like if you sign an employment contract with a person, you would have a hard time trying to void it if that person isn't in breach in any way.  Any lawyers out there?  Peter Angelos would know.  :)

24 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

If he was signed to a long-term deal, that would increase the return on a trade.  Having said that, why would the acquiring team pay the Orioles more when they can buy him as a rental and negotiate their own deal before the next offseason?  My guess is Manny really wants a bidding war after 2018.

The acquiring team that trades for Manny has the risk that they can not sign him long term.  This eliminate that risk and allows them to trade more for Manny because they know they are getting him long term.

Manny probably only wants to wait for free agency so he can get his price and sign with the team he wants to play for.   This approach gives him all that without the risk of playing for the O's on a one year contract this year and getting injured.

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't know if it would be legal.  Seems like if you sign an employment contract with a person, you would have a hard time trying to void it if that person isn't in breach in any way.  Any lawyers out there?  Peter Angelos would know.  :)

Teams agreed to sign players contingent on passing a physical.  Why not contingent on a trade.   If the player fails the physical the contract is void or open to further negotiation.  Could be the same with a trade.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Teams agreed to sign players contingent on passing a physical.  Why not contingent on a trade.   If the player fails the physical the contract is void or open to further negotiation.  Could be the same with a trade.

But whether or not 2 teams conclude a trade has nothing to do with the player's health or anything the player does.  An employment contract contingent upon a physical examination is completely different, isn't it?

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The acquiring team that trades for Manny has the risk that they can not sign him long term.  This eliminate that risk and allows them to trade more for Manny because they know they are getting him long term.

Manny probably only wants to wait for free agency so he can get his price and sign with the team he wants to play for.   This approach gives him all that without the risk of playing for the O's on a one year contract this year and getting injured.

If you're NYY would you rather 1)pay more for Manny in a deal the Orioles negotiated or 2) assume the risk while paying their division rival less and put your own terms in the deal?  I still don't know why Manny would agree to that when he could play LA and NY off each other and also use Philly to help drive up the numbers.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

By doing this, even if you could, you are basically giving Manny a no trade clause where he dictates which team he wants to go to.    "Manny, we think we have a trade with the Cardinals, but we need you to sign a contact with us first".    Manny:  "No thanks:  Trade me to the Yankees and I'll consider it."

How about " Manny you know we are looking into what we can get for you in trade.  What teams you be willing to sign with long term?"    Then, " If we can trade with one on those teams would you be will to sign long term in before the 2018 season if they offered a contract that you thought was fair?   Then " can we agree on that contract before the trade is completed."  

if that can happen then the O's can ask the acquiring team for more  or best players in return because the acquiring team is sure to have Manny long term.

9 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

If you're NYY would you rather 1)pay more for Manny in a deal the Orioles negotiated or 2) assume the risk while paying their division rival less and put your own terms in the deal?  I still don't know why Manny would agree to that when he could play LA and NY off each other and also use Philly to help drive up the numbers.

He can do all that this year and not wait a year by working with the O's to negotiate with those  three teams.   The benefits to Manny are  1) he gets his long term contract a year earlier  2) he does have the risk on injury in 2018 causing his value to fall.

Archived