Yelich

Brion McClanahan

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not sure.  I haven't been following other teams too much this offseason.  It does seem like Manny is the guy the Yanks want and they are going to have to go through another team to get him.  The Yankees seem to be set in the OF.  So Yelich isn't a fit?  I'm not sure. 

Is two years of Yelich worth one of Manny? 

Two years would be arguable who is more valuable, but it’s 5 years of Yelich.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Two years would be arguable who is more valuable, but it’s 5 years of Yelich.

Well in that case I'd do Yelich for Machado straight up and then let Jeter flip Machado to the NYY for a huge haul. 

Does Yelich have a ton of value?  Yes, but how much do the NYY want Machado?  I'm guessing real bad. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well in that case I'd do Yelich for Machado straight up and then let Jeter flip Machado to the NYY for a huge haul. 

Does Yelich have a ton of value?  Yes, but how much do the NYY want Machado?  I'm guessing real bad. 

I’m not trying to be mean here, but it seems like a bunch of people aren’t understanding the way valuations work.  I’ve tried to explain it but it doesn’t seem to be getting through.  I’ll try one more time with a thought experiment.

Ok, so let’s imagine that in 2018 Jonathan Schoop is slightly better than he was in 2017. After the season the Orioles use voodoo to convince him to sign a super team friendly 5/58.3 extension. So would you trade 5 years of Schoop for one year of Mookie Betts (let’s say he’s making 17 million and he walks at the end of the season if he can’t be extended)?

2 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’m not trying to be mean here, but it seems like a bunch of people aren’t understanding the way valuations work.  I’ve tried to explain it but it doesn’t seem to be getting through.  I’ll try one more time with a thought experiment.

Ok, so let’s imagine that in 2018 Jonathan Schoop is slightly better than he was in 2017. After the season the Orioles use voodoo to convince him to sign a super team friendly 5/58.3 extension. So would you trade 5 years of Schoop for one year of Mookie Betts (let’s say he’s making 17 million and he walks at the end of the season if he can’t be extended)?

Only looking through the lens of a MIA-BAL swap, it really doesn't make sense for MIA.  The original scenario posted assumes an outside-the-box thinking, one that requires MIA to take obvious risks/assumptions (i.e. re-dealing Machado). 

But, in terms of how other teams value each player, it absolutely is within the realm of possibility that a 2018 contending team would prefer to trade a highly-valued package for Machado over Yelich. 

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was really cunning how Jetes had deals in place with the Cards and Giants when he knew that Stanton didn't want to play there and would use his no trade protection to block those trades.

9_9

Just having a little fun with it. Hope your more fun at parties.

51 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

The average fan doesn't need to understand player values. Otherwise we would be working for a team working a trade, and not just posting on a forum talking about it.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hard to tell.  Some folks I think actually believe that Jetes sent Stanton to NY as a favor and will continue to work in the Yankees' best interests instead of his own.

Not I. Stanton had the Marlins by the you know what. I was just playing around with it.

I did however wonder if no-trade protection protects a player from being claimed on waivers. Could the Marlins have told the Giants, we'll release Stanton, if you claim him, send us such and such for a PTBNL. Is that possible?

12 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Not I. Stanton had the Marlins by the you know what. I was just playing around with it.

I did however wonder if no-trade protection protects a player from being claimed on waivers. Could the Marlins have told the Giants, we'll release Stanton, if you claim him, send us such and such for a PTBNL. Is that possible?

He could block it.

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I obviously understand that but there are several factors at play. We won’t do a trade with NYY. NYY have a full OF. Yelich wants out of MIA. MIA could get a better package for Manny from the NYY than they could for trading Yelich anywhere 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I obviously understand that but there are several factors at play. We won’t do a trade with NYY. NYY have a full OF. Yelich wants out of MIA. MIA could get a better package for Manny from the NYY than they could for trading Yelich anywhere 

I don't think your last sentence is accurate.

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m with you until the last part. Miami could get more for Yelich for 15 different teams than the Yankees would give for Manny.

To paraphrase what Steve Adams (mlbtraderumors) said in his chat today. The package for Yelich would start with 2 or 3 prospects you are really uncomfortable trading and then add 2 or 3 more good prospects.

Archived