Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

7 minutes ago, esmd said:

Well at least they're interested. They'd be foolish not to given their need for 2 or 3 starters.  Question is, will they do what it takes to sign him?

They really need to pick a lane this offseason.  Machado has one one year, as does Britton.  If they're REALLY going to go all in and try to win a WC, then they need to sign Cobb plus another decent starter.

If Cobb is healthy, at the break I am sure he could be offloaded. 

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, weams said:

Maybe. There are probably three more in history if so. 

Only a Sith deals in absolutes. And weams.

Didn't some outfielder take less to play for someone other than the O's during the Dark Times?

Can't recall who.

Think they went to the Cardinals instead.

I'd say you have a couple players a year that take a lower offer for various reasons.

6 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Exactly. Baltimore is not in a winning situation at the moment. They "lost" 3 starters to free agency and got better. I don't think they can compete right now with the quality of the NYY's and Bos. I do believe the Cobb contract will end up being an overpay for whomever signs him.

Our window of opportunity to be attractive to free agents may have closed, if we’re perceived as a team that has just begun a prolonged downhill slide.   It could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.   I hope not.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Our window of opportunity to be attractive to free agents may have closed, if we’re perceived as a team that has just begun a prolonged downhill slide.   It could become a self-fulfilling prophecy.   I hope not.   

The Orioles were a last refuge for starting pitchers even when they were winning.

I don't recall Ubaldo and Gallardo having other suitors.

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't some outfielder take less to play for someone other than the O's during the Dark Times?

Can't recall who.

Think they went to the Cardinals instead.

I'd say you have a couple players a year that take a lower offer for various reasons.

I'd say they say they did. Only. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/04/sports/baseball-pirates-instead-of-orioles-get-burnitz.html?mtrref=www.google.com&gwh=772B31AFFE012DB52EC69FDAE4E392DE&gwt=pay

The Orioles aren't getting their leadoff hitter after all and right now nobody knows why. What we do know is that Dexter Fowler, who had apparently been in agreement with the Orioles on a three year contract, has now signed a one year contract with his former team, the Chicago Cubs, with a mutual option for a second year. 

https://www.camdenchat.com/2016/2/25/11113872/dexter-fowler-signs-cubs-not-orioles

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The Orioles aren't getting their leadoff hitter after all and right now nobody knows why. What we do know is that Dexter Fowler, who had apparently been in agreement with the Orioles on a three year contract, has now signed a one year contract with his former team, the Chicago Cubs, with a mutual option for a second year. 

https://www.camdenchat.com/2016/2/25/11113872/dexter-fowler-signs-cubs-not-orioles

Kind’ve apples and oranges.    Fowler bet on himself to have a good year and get a better deal.  He won that bet.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kind’ve apples and oranges.    Fowler bet on himself to have a good year and get a better deal.  He won that bet.

He turned down a higher offer from the O's for a lower offer from the Cubs because that is where he wanted to play.  Call it what you want.

Just now, wildcard said:

He turned down a higher offer from the O's for a lower offer from the Cubs because that is where he wanted to play.  Call it what you want.

He turned down a deal where he was locked in for three years at a pretty low salary for a deal where he could get out in a year if he had a good season.     It’s just not the same thing in my opinion, and had nothing to do with the fact that it was the Orioles who had made the offer to him.  

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He turned down a deal where he was locked in for three years at a pretty low salary for a deal where he could get out in a year if he had a good season.     It’s just not the same thing in my opinion, and had nothing to do with the fact that it was the Orioles who had made the offer to him.  

That does not fit the narrative though. 

Just now, Number5 said:

IIRC, Vlad took less at the last minute to play for the Angels than what the Orioles had offered.

That's actually debatable. Though the net effect with California's state tax may have made it be so. He did prefer the Latin community in Southern California to Fells Point it seems. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

That's actually debatable. Though the net effect with California's state tax may have made it be so. He did prefer the Latin community in Southern California to Fells Point it seems. 

Oh yeah, that's right, I remember he said that he felt that his Spanish-speaking mother would probably be more comfortable in SoCal than Maryland.  I was thinking that he took less money from the Angels, but I don't know for sure.  You probably would know better than I.

Archived