What are the odds of a modest Chris Davis comeback in 2018?

Frobby

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players with Davis’ basic skillset don’t age well typically. This isn’t rare. Some guys just physically decline early and some sets of skills have less margin for error. He’s in his early thirties, some guys are done by then. A lot of guys with his profile are bad early. I don’t think there is a need to reach for some hyper emotional narrative.

20 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Players with Davis’ basic skillset don’t age well typically. This isn’t rare. Some guys just physically decline early and some sets of skills have less margin for error. He’s in his early thirties, some guys are done by then. A lot of guys with his profile are bad early. I don’t think there is a need to reach for some hyper emotional narrative.

Yeah, I'd agree. His profile and his approach don't age well in the post-steroids era. In the 90s, he'd have hit 40+ homers and probably managed a .250 average into his mid- to late-30s, but not anymore.

Not exactly a newsflash, but It’s the adderall issue, right? That stuff makes you concentrate and react quickly, ie the things he’s not able to do over the past couple seasons. He might also be psyched out, like he knows that’s the problem so doesn’t have confidence in himself, and he’ll blow his contract if he takes it. That’s a lot to bear mentally, especially with ADD. I hope he gets his groove back, one way or another. 

19 minutes ago, Rick_Schu said:

Not exactly a newsflash, but It’s the adderall issue, right? That stuff makes you concentrate and react quickly, ie the things he’s not able to do over the past couple seasons. He might also be psyched out, like he knows that’s the problem so doesn’t have confidence in himself, and he’ll blow his contract if he takes it. That’s a lot to bear mentally, especially with ADD. I hope he gets his groove back, one way or another. 

I don't believe he was on anything in 2013 when he hit 53.

10 hours ago, Babypowder said:

It's too simple to just say he's lost it and he's done.  You don't see a guy fall of this steep a cliff over the course of 2 seasons.

His skills have definitely eroded and, in my opinion, he's yet to adjust to the fact that his set-up, approach and swing no longer work. 

He's obviously resistant to change and won't accept the fact he needs to massively overhaul everything that made him a boatload of money and  2 time HR champ.  The guy hasn't changed a single thing about his swing since 2012.  

if he just lowered his damn hands and stood less upright, he could get to a lot more balls that he's late on right now.

3 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

It's too simple to just say he's lost it and he's done.  You don't see a guy fall of this steep a cliff over the course of 2 seasons.

His skills have definitely eroded and, in my opinion, he's yet to adjust to the fact that his set-up, approach and swing no longer work. 

He's obviously resistant to change and won't accept the fact he needs to massively overhaul everything that made him a boatload of money and  2 time HR champ.  The guy hasn't changed a single thing about his swing since 2012.  

if he just lowered his damn hands and stood less upright, he could get to a lot more balls that he's late on right now.

Here is the problem. It wasn't a very steep cliff for Chris Davis

He hit .196 in 2014, we are not talking about a perennial star, we are talking about a guy who had one great year, and one pretty good year, mixed in with clunkers

A guy prone to muscle pulls, and needing some cocktail of stimulants to maintain his focus. It should not be a suprise that he has regressed, he was never on a very high cliff

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Here is the problem. It wasn't a very steep cliff for Chris Davis

He hit .196 in 2014, we are not talking about a perennial star, we are talking about a guy who had one great year, and one pretty good year, mixed in with clunkers

A guy prone to muscle pulls, and needing some cocktail of stimulants to maintain his focus. It should not be a suprise that he has regressed, he was never on a very high cliff

We all know he's not worth the contract and it's going to be a huge loss for the org.  He'll never be 2013 or even 2015 Davis again.

Bottom line, we are going to find out if he has anything left and/or can reinvent himself and his swing.  At this point, you just hope to salvage something out of him.

5 hours ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Sure you do. And there’s data that suggests it’s a lot more common among extreme three true outcomes type players than others.

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Sure you do. And there’s data that suggests it’s a lot more common among extreme three true outcomes type players than others.

There are dropoffs, and there are dropoffs.   If Davis were to maintain his current 44 OPS+, that level of drop might be unprecedented at age 32 for a healthy player.   

Archived