What are the odds of a modest Chris Davis comeback in 2018?

Frobby

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's scary how much Davis 2017 season was very reminiscent of Richie Sexson's 2007 season. The following year, Sexson was essentially done as 2008 would be his last in the majors. Davis was 31 last season, Sexson was 32 in 2008.

With that being said, I don't think Davis is completely finished. While I don't expect another 100rbi season ever again, .215/.309/.423 is something he should be able to improve upon. Hopefully, he remembers to start using the whole field again. If he reverts back to 2017 form of striking out looking and trying to pull everything, then the O's will have a serious issue at first base that is costing them 23 million a year. 

Will Chris Davis come back to what? Davis exceeded rookie limits in 2008. He has accrued a little more than 8 years service time. He has put up two exceptional seasons (2013 & 2015) and one not-so-bad season (2016). Otherwise, he's been a mediocre hitter, posting rWAR of 1.7 or less in every other season. If Chris Davis has a comeback, it will be to an rWAR in the vicinity of 1.7. If he does better than that, bravo!

He's a mediocre hitter who had two great seasons and made a ton of money off of them.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Will Chris Davis come back to what? Davis exceeded rookie limits in 2008. He has accrued a little more than 8 years service time. He has put up two exceptional seasons (2013 & 2015) and one not-so-bad season (2016). Otherwise, he's been a mediocre hitter, posting rWAR of 1.7 or less in every other season. If Chris Davis has a comeback, it will be to an rWAR in the vicinity of 1.7. If he does better than that, bravo!

He's a mediocre hitter who had two great seasons and made a ton of money off of them.

I'll sign up for 1.7.

52 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I would think his 2012 numbers would be fine...

.270/.326/.501

Interestingly, his walk rate has been significantly better in every season since that one.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Struck out five times

Doesn't matter got paid

Buck got me batting nine

Doesn't matter got paid

Now I'm riding pine

Doesn't matter got paid

And now I can move it on down the line

Doesn't matter got paid

I wish someone would offer to pay me millions of dollars NOT to work.  

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Back to being a baseball player seems to imply something more. Like, get your priorities straight.  Not sure what it means exactly, but it strikes me as out of the ordinary Buck speak.

I'd guess at what It means, but I'll not put them in writing. I agree with you completely on this.

Archived