If Manny stays he should play 3B.

wildcard

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

He is following the company line. Anyone that has followed baseball for a while can see this is a bad decision.

Well...Buck apparently believes Manny is a better shortstop than Tim Beckham.   Buck makes out the lineup last time I checked.  What company line is there?  You think somebody forced Buck to move Manny to short?  Not me. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

Well...Buck apparently believes Manny is a better shortstop than Tim Beckham.   Buck makes out the lineup last time I checked.  What company line is there?  You think somebody forced Buck to move Manny to short?  Not me. 

This is my opinion so. Buck is an Employee. Therefore he has to listen to the "Boss".  Many is a very good 3rd baseman. Moving him to short and Beckham to 3rd is a piss poor decision in my opinion. Not to mention the inmates running the asylum.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

This is my opinion so. Buck is an Employee. Therefore he has to listen to the "Boss".  Many is a very good 3rd baseman. Moving him to short and Beckham to 3rd is a piss poor decision in my opinion. Not to mention the inmates running the asylum.

Buck was educated by Billy Martin.  Manny Machado is not running anything on a Buck Showalter team.  Manny would be at third if Buck wanted him at third.   Buck obviously thinks we are better with Manny at short.  We shall see.   

15 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Manny is also a better third baseman than Beckham.   

Earl tried to move Eddie to 3rd once...while interesting, this was not one of the 100 most significant dates in Orioles history.  It's been largely forgotten.

It was the opening series of the 1978 season. The Orioles were in Milwaukee to play the Brewers, who were then in the American League. The previous season had been relatively successful for Baltimore. In those pre-Wild Card days the Orioles spent 32 days in first place that year and won 97 games, yet ultimately fell short of the pennant , finishing second, just 2 ½ games behind the eventual world champion Yankees.

That season, though, had announced Murray, a rookie, as one of the game’s next great sluggers. With a batting line of .283/.333/.470, Eddie, who served that first year almost exclusively as the Orioles designated hitter, blasted 28 home runs and drove in 88, and was named the American League’s Rookie of the Year. His success may have caught some by surprise, but ever since the Orioles had drafted Murray as a 17-year old catcher in the third round of the 1973 amateur draft out of Los Angeles’s Locke High School (Murray’s high school teammate, Ozzie Smith, spoke at Eddie’s ceremony Saturday night), Eddie had shown tremendous promise.

A natural right-handed swinger, he’d been encouraged in the minors to try switch-hitting, and as his rookie campaign showed, he possessed tremendous power from either side of the plate. Indeed, Murray appeared to be the cornerstone around whom the franchise’s storied history would continue to be written.

In 1978 Murray was too young and talented to be used as just a hitter. Where would he play, though? The quiet leader, Lee May, whom Murray came to idolize (May was one of two men, along with Cal Ripken, Sr., whom Eddie singled out on Saturday night with special affection), was entrenched at first base, so Weaver was reluctant to play Murray there. Eddie had played a few games in the outfield in 1977, but the team was loaded with talent at all three outfield positions, so he wasn’t going to be a regular there, either. So, Weaver got creative.

Perhaps Rich Dauer had something to do with Weaver’s solution. In 1976, Dauer, the team’s second baseman of the future, had produced a monster season at Triple-A Rochester, batting .336/.391/.460. After a call-up to Baltimore at the end of the season, however, he had been a bust, producing just 4 singles in 39 at-bats (.103). As 1977 got underway, he continued to struggle. Installed as the Opening Day starter at second base, Dauer went hitless through his first 24 at-bats, finally collected a single in his twelfth game of the season, then went hitless in another fourteen at-bats, to leave him batting .024, 1 for 41. When he subsequently went on a 13 for 25 tear, Dauer raised his average to .206, but nonetheless ended the season with a dismal line of .243/.294/.349. Clearly, Dauer’s big year in Triple-A seemed little more than a mirage.

With second base seemingly an offensive question mark, then, in 1978 Weaver made a bold adjustment. He installed his experimental lineup with four games remaining in the exhibition season, and when Opening Day arrived in Milwaukee, again penciled in the surprising defensive alignment. Thus did Eddie Murray, one of the greatest first baseman of his generation, play the only three games of his career at third base. Seeking more punch, Weaver moved incumbent third baseman, Doug DeCinces, the man who replaced the legendary Brooks Robinson, to second base, and installed the reigning Rookie of the Year at third base, leaving the veteran May at first.

The lineup was short-lived, however. After Milwaukee easily swept the Orioles in the three-game series by a combined score of 40-11, for the next series Weaver returned DeCinces to third, moved Murray permanently to first, and made May the full-time designated hitter. (In his three games, Murray handled nine of ten chances flawlessly, compiling a lifetime fielding average at the hot corner of .900.) While the Orioles slumped to a fourth place finish that season, in 1979, of course, that core group took the team to the World Series.

My theory is they're moving him to short to showcase his versatility. They know they can't sign him and they know we're not a playoff caliber team. This way his value should be higher when we trade him to a desperate contender at the deadline.

2 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

He is following the company line. Anyone that has followed baseball for a while can see this is a bad decision.

Baloney.   Buck wouldn’t do this if he didn’t think it was the better alignment.    I truly believe that.   

2 hours ago, gtman55 said:

My theory is they're moving him to short to showcase his versatility. They know they can't sign him and they know we're not a playoff caliber team. This way his value should be higher when we trade him to a desperate contender at the deadline.

Totally agree.  I didn't have to post it since you already did.  :)

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Ok...ok...I agree.   Buck is an idiot.  Knows nothing about the two positions or their values to the team.  Just doing it to make us worse.   Good grief.  

He did choose to pitch Jiminez over Britton with the season on the line.  Also he values guys who have been on the team several years over other players.  

Anyway your post is childish.  Do you disagree that Machado is better third baseman than Beckham?  I am guessing you do not so I am not sure why you had such an attackimg post.

Archived