The Yankees Know The Orioles Want Two Starters

section18

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you trade Manny to the Yankees, you're getting prospects. They aren't weakening their rotation.

The original suggestion is absolutely preposterous. Severino alone is worth far more than one year of Manny. Doubling down and suggesting that this board undervalues Orioles players and overvalues other players is icing on the crazy cake. The opposite is overwhelmingly the case, this OP is a glaring example. This is pure fantasy.

23 hours ago, section18 said:

From the beginning the Orioles have said they want two starters in any trade involving Manny Machado. We've been hearing the NYY are still trying to add more starters. Will they add a 6th and 7th? Why?  To trade 2 of them in the package for Manny.

Just suppose ! 

The Yankees offer

Sonny Gray and Luis Severino for Manny.

Severino made $550,975 in 2017 is 23 and under control until 2023 and Gray 28 made $3,575,000 in 2017 arb eligible soon to be 29.and under control until 2020.

Depending on the rumor the Yankees have been close to signing Darvish or Cobb and trading for Gerrit Cole. They can make these moves at any time.

Would they miss Gray who they just obtained last July and Severino who has only been with them a couple of years. Not if they are replacing them with Darvish, Cobb or Cole.

The Orioles will owe Manny about $17 or $17.5 mill this year in his last year.  We will save a lot making this trade. Enough to sign Lance Lynn?

Decision time is near!

Would this put them over the luxury tax before next year free agent free fest?

10 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

If you trade Manny to the Yankees, you're getting prospects. They aren't weakening their rotation.

The original suggestion is absolutely preposterous. Severino alone is worth far more than one year of Manny. Doubling down and suggesting that this board undervalues Orioles players and overvalues other players is icing on the crazy cake. The opposite is overwhelmingly the case, this OP is a glaring example. This is pure fantasy.

This and they have plent of prospects to trade....If you can get Adams, Sheffield, Andujar , and perhaps Solak, and Widener or Gallegos you've won the trade imo

Even Steve Melewski thinks we should deal Manny to the Yankees if they make the best offer.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/01/mussinas-possible-call-to-the-hall-and-more-machado-trade-talk.html

To be clear, I agree with this, but (1) the Yankees offer has to be clearly better than the others and (2) it’s still gonna make me sick to my stomach.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even Steve Melewski thinks we should deal Manny to the Yankees if they make the best offer.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/01/mussinas-possible-call-to-the-hall-and-more-machado-trade-talk.html

To be clear, I agree with this, but (1) the Yankees offer has to be clearly better than the others and (2) it’s still gonna make me sick to my stomach.   

I honestly don't get the hesitance. To me, you weaken the Yankees farm for the 1 year of Machado you control. Of course, I also see 2018 as a year you can't compete with them anyway. You might as well take what you can. That's better than going elsewhere to me.

50 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I honestly don't get the hesitance. To me, you weaken the Yankees farm for the 1 year of Machado you control. Of course, I also see 2018 as a year you can't compete with them anyway. You might as well take what you can. That's better than going elsewhere to me.

It will just pain me to know that we voluntarily put him in a Yankee uniform.   It improves their chances of signing him long term (granted, there’s a decent chance it happens anyway).     And for 2018 it significantly improves the Yankees’ chances of winning the World Series, something I’d rather not see again in my lifetime.     I’ve already said I’d trade him there if they offer the best deal; that doesn’t mean I have to like it on an emotional level.

19 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

How you can say "clearly" and "imo" in the same sentence is beyond me. If it's clear, it's not a matter of opinion. If it's imo, than it is totally subjective. If it's clear, please provide evidence that it is true. I think it's just your opinion, which is fine, but it's certainly not clear.

Imo, it's clear you're arguing for the sake of arguing. 

I think we should get at least one pitcher on the major league roster and one from AAA.  Did everyone see the NY Post article about a possible trade for Manny?   Sherman says the Orioles have some interest in Jacoby Ellsbury and the Yankees would like to move him along with David Robertson and Brett Gardner. There is no starter in this group. Ellsbury has a no trade clause and the Yankees have  said they would have to eat probably half of his salary. 3 more years and a team option at $21.1 mill per year.  Is Ellsbury a good fit in CF at $10.5 mill per year?  Who will be added to the deal to make the Orioles say YES?  Jordan Montgomery lefthander 25 years old 9-7 last season with a 3.88 ERA. We need at least 2 left handed starters and need Montgomery in this deal. Chance Adams right handed also needs to be in this deal.   Great future ! 15-5 at AAA and AA last season with a 2.45 ERA.  Only 23 ! Ellsbury or Gardner, Montgomery and Adams! I would do this deal because fans are going to want to know we are getting someone back they know about. Most have never heard of Montgomery or Adams but will be in the future. Of the 3 in the Post story they want to move I think of Ellsbury, Gardner and Robertson that Ellsbury or Gardner would help us.  Gardner's a fiery guy with some power and speed.  Good clubhouse guy.  $13 mill next season. I would ask them to eat some of his salary.

Gardner, Montgomery and Adams? plus cash!

Ellsbury, Montgomery and Adams? plus cash!

10 minutes ago, section18 said:

I think we should get at least one pitcher on the major league roster and one from AAA.  Did everyone see the NY Post article about a possible trade for Manny?   Sherman says the Orioles have some interest in Jacoby Ellsbury and the Yankees would like to move him along with David Robertson and Brett Gardner. There is no starter in this group. Ellsbury has a no trade clause and the Yankees have  said they would have to eat probably half of his salary. 3 more years and a team option at $21.1 mill per year.  Is Ellsbury a good fit in CF at $10.5 mill per year?  Who will be added to the deal to make the Orioles say YES?  Jordan Montgomery lefthander 25 years old 9-7 last season with a 3.88 ERA. We need at least 2 left handed starters and need Montgomery in this deal. Chance Adams right handed also needs to be in this deal.   Great future ! 15-5 at AAA and AA last season with a 2.45 ERA.  Only 23 ! Ellsbury or Gardner, Montgomery and Adams! I would do this deal because fans are going to want to know we are getting someone back they know about. Most have never heard of Montgomery or Adams but will be in the future. Of the 3 in the Post story they want to move I think of Ellsbury, Gardner and Robertson that Ellsbury or Gardner would help us.  Gardner's a fiery guy with some power and speed.  Good clubhouse guy.  $13 mill next season. I would ask them to eat some of his salary.

Gardner, Montgomery and Adams? plus cash!

Ellsbury, Montgomery and Adams? plus cash!

Ellsbury has significant negative value.  40+ million of negative value.

Here is a fair trade straight up.  Ellsbury + Sheffield + another low level prospect for Joey Rickard. 

The only reason you take on Ellsbury is if the Yankees give the Orioles legit prospects along with him in addition to any return for Machado.

You went from thinking the O's should ask for the Yankees most valuable trade chip (not named Judge) to wanting to add the Yankees' worst Chris Davis-like sunk cost. The cash in that proposed Ellsbury, Montgomery, and Adams + cash for Machado would have to be 40 million at least. 

5 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Ellsbury has significant negative value.  40+ million of negative value.

Here is a fair trade straight up.  Ellsbury + Sheffield + another low level prospect for Joey Rickard. 

The only reason you take on Ellsbury is if the Yankees give the Orioles legit prospects along with him in addition to any return for Machado.

You went from thinking the O's should ask for the Yankees most valuable trade chip (not named Judge) to wanting to add the Yankees' worst Chris Davis-like sunk cost. The cash in that proposed Ellsbury, Montgomery, and Adams + cash for Machado would have to be 40 million at least. 

Considering how much additional financial flexibility they would garner from trading him I think I would charge even more.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering how much additional financial flexibility they would garner from trading him I think I would charge even more.

That's if you have Sheffield as a FV 55 prospect, if you think he's more of a 50, then yes, you'd need another top 10 guy from their system.

Basically Ellsbury has close to as much negative value as Machado has positive value.

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Don't think Angelos would allow trades with the Yankees.

In regards to the Melewski article...I hope Mussina has to wait one more year for the Hall.  Just one more year.  I hope he gets, like, 74.8% of the vote.

I'd take back Ellsbury if it could net us another prospect or two.

To me, I think it's a foregone conclusion that Manny winds up in NY.  If we can take away part of their future rotation, I'm for it.

That said, if we are going to take on someone like Ellsbury and trade Manny in the division, I'd need more than just two arms coming back.  I'd need a good positional prospect back and a lower level raw talent.  If we are offering salary relief, that helps them out a tremendous amount.

Archived