Mini Camp Thread

weams

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

If Givens ends up the closer, the should extend him now.  Would 5/25 get it done?

Givens is under team control the next four seasons, and isn’t arbitration eligible until next year.   I think he could easily be extended for 5/$25 mm right now.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Givens is under team control the next four seasons, and isn’t arbitration eligible until next year.   I think he could easily be extended for 5/$25 mm right now.   

Right.  Let's say he becomes the closer this season and is successful.  Roberto Osuna is expected 5.6.  Ken Giles 5.  Both in their first year of the process.  Now since they have been closers for longer, let's assume that Givens gets $4M in year 1.  Corey Knebel, after one year of closing, is expected 4.1M.

He could take off from there.  Jansen, for example, went 4.3...7.425...10.65.  

That's close to $23M for four years.  When guys like Tommy Hunter are getting are making 2/18, you know he'll get paid in FA.

I think that would be a good offer, if the plan is to convert him to closer.

14 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

He has four more years of control.  Do you have examples of a guy who signs a deal like that, then has an extra year of control?

Nope. But he can be renewed this year and for less than 600k first year arb 1.5 second 3 and third 5. So that is a good deal for him. 

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Right.  Let's say he becomes the closer this season and is successful.  Roberto Osuna is expected 5.6.  Ken Giles 5.  Both in their first year of the process.  Now since they have been closers for longer, let's assume that Givens gets $4M in year 1.  Corey Knebel, after one year of closing, is expected 4.1M.

He could take off from there.  Jansen, for example, went 4.3...7.425...10.65.  

That's close to $23M for four years.  When guys like Tommy Hunter are getting are making 2/18, you know he'll get paid in FA.

I think that would be a good offer, if the plan is to convert him to closer.

Yeah, I don't think Givens would get 30 save attempts.  And I don't know that he will be a successful closer anyway.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Nope. But he can be renewed this year and for less than 600k first year arb 1.5 second 3 and third 5. So that is a good deal for him. 

If he’s not the closer.    So lock him up while he’s not.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Harvey is a commanding presence.   He reminds me of Scherzer in that picture.    Remember when he was 19 going on 14 a few years ago?    He’s a good bit stronger looking and less baby-faced.    

I really like watching Harvey. 

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Or if he is a mediocre closer. On a team that wins 75 games? 

Strategically, I wouldn’t want 5/$25 mm.   I think you could get him a little cheaper and perhaps tack a club option at a reasonable price for one or two years on the back.   But I do think 5/$25 would be cheap for a decent closer with his contract status.   

Archived