Tanner Scott Prefers the Bullpen

weams

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But is it a good tradeoff?

Not sure. Less walks and strike outs, along with less home runs.

In Bowie especially, when a batter made contact, it usually ended up in the woods. Now in Baltimore, it's a single.

A solo home run once every 25 batters won't hurt as much as a single or walk every 2 or 3 batters, especially when there are inherited runners.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But is it a good tradeoff?

I think it was a necessary trade off if they wanted him pitching in the majors in early 2018, a good trade off, I don’t know. I’d love for him to ramp it back up and have an 80 FB with his plus or better SL. The ceiling is quite high in the bullpen. His AA fastball, the current slider and fringe command would be one of the best relievers in baseball.

22 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Not sure. Less walks and strike outs, along with less home runs.

In Bowie especially, when a batter made contact, it usually ended up in the woods. Now in Baltimore, it's a single.

A solo home run once every 25 batters won't hurt as much as a single or walk every 2 or 3 batters, especially when there are inherited runners.

I don't think enough information exists at this point to draw any conclusions about his HR rate in the majors.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:10 PM, Cy Bundy said:

Paxton and Snell used to have the same criticisms, with lesser breaking balls. Patrick Corbin was a bum at 27 years old, then he reduced his arsenal and became an ace, at 29. You put the hard throwing lefty, with ++ slider, in the rotation and let your coaches work with him for 2 years if need be. That’s how you get the most out of that arm.

Are those really good examples, though?

Paxton was a starter nearly exclusively in the minors for the Mariners. Same goes for Snell. And both were 1st round draft picks (Paxton drafted 1st and then 4th, FWIW). Neither had the significant control issues that Scott has.

I get what you're saying, but you're comparing apples and oranges here.

On 1/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, Flash- bd said:

What's the thought on Scott here now (this post was made 5 months ago)? I tend to agree with this line of thinking and would imagine the new regime would, but I don't know nearly enough about Scott to know if it's viable. 

What's a starter?   What's a reliever?   The lines are blurring anyway.  He could be an Opener,

You no longer necessarily think about having to stretch a guy out to 6 innings so he can start.   Stretch him out to 3 and he's in the mix for a whole bunch of spots on a team.

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

What's a starter?   What's a reliever?   The lines are blurring anyway.  He could be an Opener,

You no longer necessarily think about having to stretch a guy out to 6 innings so he can start.   Stretch him out to 3 and he's in the mix for a whole bunch of spots on a team.

Plus there’s only so many innings in an arm. If he goes through the year as a dominant reliever  then we should consider it. Once we have some coaches and a full front office, maybe they could sprinkle some analytics dust on him next offseason. 

Archived